New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
Still way too much everything is tied to Burnham going off, seeing Enterprise and Pike leaving just adds to the we'll be going full Burnham feel now especially with Saru not agreeing to take the captains chair and we'll talk once we're back.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Was there an episode with her in cos I don't know how I missed it but I have...

me too...

i was a bit confused by this, assumed blanked it out sometime in series 1

I thought the same so had to look it up -She’s in one of the shorts under “trailers and more”.

Yeah, even I didn't know where the shorts episodes were. I thought they were actually on the web!

This is why I questioned the wisdom of the showrunners 'hiding' plot points in the Short Treks...I think that they got a bit arrogant here, assuming that everyone would flock to see the new extra bits because of how utterly awesome S1 had been :rolleyes: Hey ho :)

I was reading a theory that the end of this season is going to have the USS DiscoBall go forward in time, with the crew going forward as well (less the Enterprise crew members obviously). It'd be a huge shift, but at least it'd let the showrunners do the super-duper-futuristic-minimal-adherence-to-canon Trek that they so clearly want to do...

Spock accompanying the Discovery on its journey is a fly in the ointment of canon, but we're willing to bet the second part of the season 2 finale will rectify that plot thread somehow. The idea of Star Trek: Discovery beaming out of the self-imposed nostalgia prison it's languished in for the past two seasons is too tantalizing and looks way too likely for Spock to get in the way. And let's not forget, Alex Kurtzman promised up and down that the end of season 2 would reconcile Discovery with Star Trek canon and be a massive game-changer - this certainly fits that bill.

Soldato
There were reports that CBS did the shorts thinking they would be cheap to do and make a lot of money, and then Netflix laughed them out of the room (still a lot of bad feeling about paying 50 million for the first season apparently). CBS kept dropping the price, and Netflix kept laughing at them at them until they were all but given away.

The thing with STD is it's about the only headline show on CBS Action, and until they have something more to attract people into the subscription, they are stuck with it to try and grow the channel.

Caporegime
I was reading a theory that the end of this season is going to have the USS DiscoBall go forward in time, with the crew going forward as well (less the Enterprise crew members obviously). It'd be a huge shift, but at least it'd let the showrunners do the super-duper-futuristic-minimal-adherence-to-canon Trek that they so clearly want to do...

Is that even a theory now? I mean they spelled it out explicitely in episode 13 that the plan is for Discovery to go foward in time and most of the crew we know have pledged to go with Michael.

Obviously Spock won't go, but all the others will.

Man of Honour
Finally caught up with the last episode. Apart from the usual high drama and emotion I really enjoyed it. The enterprise is beautiful, the bridge cool as hell (close to the original, just slightly updated). Loved the ending, it reminded me of some of the best Star Trek cliffhangers. I really want to see the enterprise in action.

The effects team deserve some respect. It looks as good as the films.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The enterprise is beautiful, the bridge cool as hell (close to the original, just slightly updated).

Going to respectfully disagree there. Sure, they kept the red railing, and the offset turbolift door, and a couple other elements. But then they stuck in a stupid JJTrek window at the front, shiny surfaces on nearly everything and SO. MANY. LIGHTS.

dSdzCjl.jpg

Because yeah, having that many reflections and bright lights isn't going to be at all distracting to people trying to work is it? :p Hope Starfleet has stationed an optician or two onboard with the medical staff, I can see a lot of the Enterprise bridge crew and officers needing their services!

And what's with the corridor behind the aft stations? Or the extra door that's about where Spock's station will be in TOS? I wouldn't mind a good close-up of the bridge module on the NotQuiteEnterprise model to see if the exterior shape matches the set at all.

The effects team deserve some respect. It looks as good as the films.

Yep. The VFX people are brilliant, no question.

Caporegime
Is that true?

CBS has the rights to produce Star Trek content for television distribution
Paramount owns the older Star Trek films and has licensed the rights to produce Star Trek for theatrical distribution, from CBS.

So, CBS makes Star Trek: Discovery and Paramount made the J.J. Abrams films.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The look has to be 25 percent different as per the CBS licencing agreement.

Yes I'd heard the 25% difference licensing clause too. I think it's to protect Paramounts merchandising.

Nope. Debunked a while back.

CBS TV Studios does, in fact, have the right to use the U.S.S. Enterprise ship design from the past TV series, and are not legally required to make changes. The changes in the ship design were creative ones, made to utilize 2018’s VFX technology.

Any changes that the STD showrunners make to ships seen before in canon are purely by their choice.

***edit***

And hell, even if they had been forced to change up the look of the bridge for reasons other than 'we can't show it as it was originally because it doesn't fit our aesthetic choice for this series' then they might have at least changed it in ways that made sense. Fine, put the fancy displays around the perimeter and more complex console interfaces on the crew stations. But did it really need all those reflective surfaces? All those lights? And the goddamned JJTrek window at the front instead of a viewscreen?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lets face it, 60's Enterprise bridge looks *****.

Compared to Enterprise 1701-A though, it looks OK:

constitutionbrc3bccke2293.jpg

Back
Top Bottom