Why can't they just remove the lid and sip like from a cup ?

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48038130

McDonald's is being called on to stop its roll out of paper straws in the UK and Ireland, amid claims that they "dissolve" in drinks.

The fast food giant is switching from plastic to paper straws at their 1,361 restaurants after customer pressure.

An online petition calling for a return to plastic straws has so far garnered more than 35,000 signatures.

McDonald's say they are "doing the right thing" while a supplier said customers need to "compromise".

The restaurant chain supplies 1.8 million straws to its four million UK customers each day.

Petition creator Martin Reed started it a week ago, complaining the new paper straws dissolve as you drink them.

Many social media users agree, with some claiming paper straws are "horrible" while one says it is like "drinking a milkshake through an empty toilet roll tube".

I don't understand the problem if the straw doesn't work, just drink it like you would from a cup by removing the removable lid on the drink ?? :confused: It doesn't taste any different so straw is not imperative to enjoy the beverage ?

Are average people really this stupid ?

Caporegime
You might spill it.

This might be really silly if you’ve got a hot drink... then again you could always just sue them.

Soldato
OP
You might spill it.

This might be really silly if you’ve got a hot drink... then again you could always just sue them.

Who drinks a hot drink through a straw ? The straws are generally for all the cold drinks no ?

If you spill it ? so what, it's not exactly world ending if you spill some cola on yourself because you lack the acumen to drink without spilling

Soldato
Or do like they do in other places for coffee, fill your own travel mug up, or put up with cardboard.

Anyone insisting on more plastic needs a slap.

Soldato
I just read that article.. I never really thought about straws until I saw the pic of a turtle with straw up its snozzle...

Made me think even if it was a made up story / one off a straw is unnecessary real men don't need lids or straws!

Not used a straw plastic or paper for ages..

All 35k people who signed the potition should be forced to live for a year with a straw rammed up each nostril then castrated

Soldato
OP
Why do so many people have the annoying habit of putting the word "like" in a sentance when it is not needed?

I don't think you understand that the cartons aren't cups so it's perfectly acceptable to say "sip from a carton like you would from a cup" I just shortened it for ease

Soldato
The new straws are pretty horrible, have an odd texture to them and they go soggy. Should just use recyclable plastic ones, sipping with the lid off isn't much use when driving.

Caporegime
Who drinks a hot drink through a straw ? The straws are generally for all the cold drinks no ?

If you spill it ? so what, it's not exactly world ending if you spill some cola on yourself because you lack the acumen to drink without spilling

Yeah they probs are to be fair... spilling a cold sugary drink would be a faff though regardless.

Soldato
The new straws are pretty horrible, have an odd texture to them and they go soggy. Should just use recyclable plastic ones, sipping with the lid off isn't much use when driving.

Shouldn't you be concentrating on driving?
The straws don't go soggy unless you wait half an hour before drinking your drink anyway, so if you are in such a rush and have such an important self entitled attitude, you will never need to experience a soggy straw. ;)

Associate
They replace the plastic straws with cardboard ones but anyone notice they still use the plastic lids that you poke your straw through...

Anyway the paper/cardboard straws are awful.

Sucking a milkshake through paper tastes realy bad.

I'm happy to sign the petition to bring back the plastic ones.

Soldato
I just read that article.. I never really thought about straws until I saw the pic of a turtle with straw up its snozzle...

Made me think even if it was a made up story / one off a straw is unnecessary real men don't need lids or straws!

Not used a straw plastic or paper for ages..

All 35k people who signed the potition should be forced to live for a year with a straw rammed up each nostril then castrated
Dunno if it's the same turtle , but I did see a video on YouTube of some people removing a straw from a sea turtle's nose. It had been there a while, and was pretty stuck. The poor thing was screaming, and bleeding, as they pulled it out with pliers.

Soldato
The most important question here. Can you still do the trick with the new ones, where you rip off the end of the straw wrapper, blow through the straw and then the rest of the wrapper flies across the table and ends up in a friends eye?

Back
Top Bottom