Hosting in 2019?

Soldato
I've now got hosting with Krystal. I need to move my Main business domain over to them from TSOhost. Along with my email. Has anyone done this. I cant really have any email downtime (apart from weekends and midnight to 7am)
I also dont want to lose any emails.

Any pitfalls or pointers

Cheers

Man of Honour
I've now got hosting with Krystal. I need to move my Main business domain over to them from TSOhost. Along with my email. Has anyone done this. I cant really have any email downtime (apart from weekends and midnight to 7am)
I also dont want to lose any emails.

Any pitfalls or pointers

Cheers

So, you can have lots of email downtime then, and email should never be lost as part of a migration if handled by anyone even remotely competent.

Soldato
So, you can have lots of email downtime then, and email should never be lost as part of a migration if handled by anyone even remotely competent.

Thats my issue. I'm not even remotely competent...lol

Ok maybe thats a little harsh on myself. Krystal said it was straightforward.

Do I move my domain from TSO to Krystal first then the email or create a mailbox with Krystal then move the domain?

Commissario
Arse.
Just saw this having recently renewed for three years at TSO. Beany, you should have had my business although I'm still technically on the old Vida 'starter' pack but with about fifteen domains and a bucketload of bandwidth/month ;)

Man of Honour
OP
Thats my issue. I'm not even remotely competent...lol

Ok maybe thats a little harsh on myself. Krystal said it was straightforward.

Do I move my domain from TSO to Krystal first then the email or create a mailbox with Krystal then move the domain?
No downtime needed - copy your site data over to the Krystal account then setup the mailboxes you need, then update your domain's nameservers to Krystal's, job done. Nothing goes offline, just starts arriving at the new system over the next few hours :)

There's a great online tool to move mailbox contents between servers too:

https://i005.lamiral.info/X/

I'm sure Krystal will help with anything above too if you get stuck!

And Feek...well....since it's you I'll match anything - I remember setting up your account! Don't tell anyone else though ;)

Man of Honour
OP
Does Stablepoint offer DNS hosting without having to use CPANEL similar to Krystal, can't find any mention on the website.
I think you'd be the first or second to use it, but yes. Not part of the main anycast cluster that the cPanel systems have access to though, but uses resolvers in the UK and EU so some diversity.

Soldato
Just as I was about to ask for recommendations for a new web hosting provider. :)

I currently have my badminton leagues website - www.manchesterbadmintonleague.org.uk - hosted on my personal webspace (I cba with my own personal website) and I was considering moving it.
I only have 2GB of storage and unlimited bandwidth, but we want to expand the website with more storage, adding about 200MB+ each year.

I think I'll be asking the league committee to cough up and pay for their own hosting at stablebit.
I might move my own over too when it's up for renewal in September. Had excellent servcei from Beansprout when he ran Vidahost and had some personal dealings as well (300D and Wimbledon ;))
I must say I don't have any problems with TSOhost as I only use them for email.

My company is also with TSOhost for domains, etc and occasionally we have problems connecting to the mail servers. Maybe it's beacuse my company uses IMAP and I'm still using POP3.

Man of Honour
OP
Sent you a trust.
Thanks for the testing help :)

Had excellent servcei from Beansprout when he ran Vidahost and had some personal dealings as well (300D and Wimbledon ;))
On this basis I should be giving you free hosting! I knew I recognised you :)

Happy to see if I can help as always.

I still have the 300D although I upgraded to a 7D on my 21st a few years back which takes main duties....

I still also mainly stick with my trusty £40 50mm f/1.8 that I've used since I got the 300D! Never could stomach the cost of most L lenses, maybe if I sell a bit more hosting....

Soldato
Can anyone recommend hosting where I can play with different languages?

I used to use html5, a little php and javascript but would like to try .net and python sites as well. Krystal only seems to suppose python and not .net.

Soldato
I kind of followed the forum "trends" over the years. I initially took out a domain or 3 with 123-reg then when the threads started cropping up about costs and exit fees I along with a lot moved elsewhere. I ended up at TSO and then after a year or 2 with them again having had problems (probably due to growth) I caught on to Krystal (again recommended from on here) and haven't looked back since then. Support is always on point and I have very little to no downtime (not that it makes much difference on the sites I have).

Beansprout is back to hosting? Woo this is a good day.

I'd been with Vidahost since 2007/8 so I guess one of the first. Was gutted when they were sold to Tshost, (iirc tsohost was started by a user on this forum too?).

When my hosting package with tsohost is nearing an end i'll definetly be checking out stablepoint.

Associate
I have been with TSO for years, but in the last year or two, we have had constant email issues.
Clients receiving our mail as SPAM, not being able to send/receive mail and out dynamic IP address needing to be constantly whitelisted with them.
Rather than leave them I changed our package from cloud to a cPanel in the hope these issues would be resolved.
Still no joy, so reluctantly my company will have to move.

Man of Honour
OP
Beansprout is back to hosting? Woo this is a good day.
Aww thanks. I guess I'm addicted, but honestly it just seems to be what I'm useful at. We did all need some time out though. I tried sitting on a beach for a bit, didn't work. Tried cars, crashed them.

I'd been with Vidahost since 2007/8 so I guess one of the first. Was gutted when they were sold to Tshost, (iirc tsohost was started by a user on this forum too?).
Daz, the original Tsohost founder, is a forum member (actually how we met) and is involved in the new project as well :)

When my hosting package with tsohost is nearing an end i'll definetly be checking out stablepoint.
I'll match your expiry date!

I have been with TSO for years, but in the last year or two, we have had constant email issues.
Clients receiving our mail as SPAM, not being able to send/receive mail and out dynamic IP address needing to be constantly whitelisted with them.
Rather than leave them I changed our package from cloud to a cPanel in the hope these issues would be resolved.
Still no joy, so reluctantly my company will have to move.
Spam issues are a pain unfortunately, it was almost my full time job at Paragon. A small bit of spam and Hotmail would block a range of IPs. OK, maybe not just a small bit sometimes, but even so - we always dealt with RBL/spam problems quickly but with tools which were still evolving to spot malware and so on. Very annoying but it's 99% a solved problem in 2019.

These days I use Mailchannels and Spamexperts who filter spam and deliver the good stuff from known good IPs to Hotmail etc, and things just work. Whether they have 'deals' with Microsoft or just have really good systems I don't know!

Associate
Spam issues are a pain unfortunately, it was almost my full time job at Paragon. A small bit of spam and Hotmail would block a range of IPs. OK, maybe not just a small bit sometimes, but even so - we always dealt with RBL/spam problems quickly but with tools which were still evolving to spot malware and so on. Very annoying but it's 99% a solved problem in 2019.

These days I use Mailchannels and Spamexperts who filter spam and deliver the good stuff from known good IPs to Hotmail etc, and things just work. Whether they have 'deals' with Microsoft or just have really good systems I don't know!

Thanks for the insight. Will definitely checkout stablepoint.

Soldato
I used to run server hosting and DO, then I got with the times and containerise almost all of my customers web contents and stick it into the same multi domained tenant in Azure. You can spin up free web app hosting in Azure as long as the throughput is low (and by low I still mean millions I/O per day)

When tsohost was truly Darren back in his garage doing stuff, I used to love them but they've very much lost their way in recent years which is sad.

Soldato
I used to run server hosting and DO, then I got with the times and containerise almost all of my customers web contents and stick it into the same multi domained tenant in Azure. You can spin up free web app hosting in Azure as long as the throughput is low (and by low I still mean millions I/O per day)

When tsohost was truly Darren back in his garage doing stuff, I used to love them but they've very much lost their way in recent years which is sad.

I find the pricing structures in azure confusing. I've looked at build a little database website for my wife's work, contains rare insurance coverage etc. Probably not even 500 searches a month. Azure jumped out at me but wasn't sure on cost.

Back
Top Bottom