Hosting in 2019?

Soldato

Haven't had any problems here until today when we noticed they appear to be installing a load of additional packages (Tanium, Crowdstrike, Sensu etc) to our VPS boxes that are (potentially/possibly) in turn causing excessive usage, problems with cPanel and various services to flake (SSH etc).

To be honest, this is the first major issue we've had with Tsohost in 10 years or so but it's taken an entire day to gain SSH access back whilst plenty of other services are still borked.

Has TsoHost officially alerted customers to this other than tech sites picking up on the problems? I've yet to spot anything in our mailboxes.....

Man of Honour
OP
All those things sound like suitably enterprisey responses. I wonder if any of them were proven to stop this Exim issue.

Do keep us updated on what they say. All I've seen is the Tsohost status page, the register article and these updates.

Soldato
We're back to square one this morning - no SSH and the CRON daemon still appears to not be running :(
Doesn't help that it takes a good two to three hours for them to acknowledge a ticket and telephone support can't (or won't) do anything other than continuously escalate.

They still haven't said what's causing the problems other than it's a config issue......:confused:

StablePoint might have a new customer at this rate :D

Associate
I was looking at them for dedicated servers a couple of years ago and found so many bad reviews that put me off and I went elsewhere.

There prices seemed too good to be true.

I've always bought my .uk domains off them because they were half the price of everywhere else (for some reason they have just put the price up).
I've never felt brave enough to try out their hosting though.

Man of Honour
OP
I've got a bunch of servers with OVH for personal things and they're fine.

What will happen if/when hardware fails I don't know, but the network/DC/control panel is solid.

Man of Honour
OP
Well things just got interesting, cPanel have announced a pricing change which is resulting in HUGE price increases for many users:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1770318

- VPS licenses more expensive unless you have just 1 account
- Dedicated servers limited to 100 accounts with a $0.2/m charge for every account over that

:eek:

I now more than ever wish we didn't sell Paragon because we had a great cPanel importer on the Gridhost system.

Associate
Well things just got interesting, cPanel have announced a pricing change which is resulting in HUGE price increases for many users:

- Dedicated servers limited to 100 accounts with a $0.2/m charge for every account over that

I now more than ever wish we didn't sell Paragon because we had a great cPanel importer on the Gridhost system.

Yeh I got an email today from the company I rent Shoutcast servers from though that does not effect the Shoutcast i guess they sent it out to everyone, I only have a a shared hosting with another company.

Soldato
I just checked out my old Vultr account which I haven't used since 2014 and I have $12 credit. I think I'm going to try out one of their $5 instances to see how they compare to Linode.

Man of Honour

Was wondering why one of my sites went offline and now I know :( was being hosted by a friend who has mostly passively ran a webhost on the side on modest margins for years this has put him completely out of business. Had a nosey and seen him talking about an increase from sub $1500 to $7000 but not sure if that is all cpanel.

Man of Honour
OP
Was wondering why one of my sites went offline and now I know :( was being hosted by a friend who has mostly passively ran a webhost on the side on modest margins for years this has put him completely out of business. Had a nosey and seen him talking about an increase from sub $1500 to $7000 but not sure if that is all cpanel.
That's insane.

Changes aren't being applied until September as I understand however.

Man of Honour
That's insane.

Changes aren't being applied until September as I understand however.

I don't really know what happened - his main domain was renewed at the start of June but somehow is now "un-renewed" and he has taken all servers offline and cancelled all contracts with no other communication - I had to find out information via one of his other clients.

Guess I need to look at moving my domains though that could be a little complicated.

Soldato
Mentioned the CPanel increase to a web design guy we have a good relationship with as most of his sites are CPanel who's hosted with TSO. He asked and they replied with:

TSOHOST said:
Apologies for the delayed reply.

We're not planning any pricing restructure at this point. However, if our team is planning something similar in the future, you will be certainly notified by email.

We remain available should you have any further questions.

Man of Honour
OP
Anyone tried any freeware CPanel alternatives ? Any good ?
Going by the auditing Rack911 are doing over at WHT, no.

You do get what you pay for with cPanel, it's just.....it will now cost potentially several times what it used to :eek:

Closes alternative is DirectAdmin which is very reasonably priced.

Back
Top Bottom