Going on a cruise alone

Associate
I've wanted to go on a cruise for a few years but as I'm single and my mates are all settled down I've always put it off. However I've been told after years of problems with my right leg that sometime in the future I'm likely to become an amputee (long story).

Has anyone been on a cruise on their own? Any advice or do's and don'ts? Looking mainly at Scandinavian cruises

Thanks

Caporegime
Do get back on the ship before it leaves.
Don't forget your passport.

It's not my thing but if you want to go, do it, it's just a floating hotel that you wake up to a new country/town each morning really. Easy way to see lots of places without the hassle of luggages and checking in and out of hotels.

Soldato
Travelling alone is something I’ve done a few times , albeit only for a few days at a time but a cruise I would find boring alone, it’s the kind of thing I would want company

Soldato
From my extensive research of watching a film on Netflix some cruises might do a meet-up style thing for single travellers.

Could just be film bumpf though. I'm sure there will be a few old ladies who will keep you company. :p

Soldato
I could do it, most definitely, unfortunately, i have to take my wife with me when i go on a cruise, speaking of which, i am contemplating booking an 8 night cruise for July from Auckland to Fiji (Denerau, suva and another island) and back to Auckland.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Personally, I think it's a terrible idea. Most, if not all the other people will be there with someone, so won't really be looking to have a solo traveller hanging round with them. There's a lot of better ideas/places to meet other solo travellers and have a good holiday.

This is assuming you want to mingle with others. If you just want to be alone so you can relax, do what you want then maybe. Still will get bit boring I would assume.

Ps. I have never been on a cruise (don't like the idea of being stuck on a boat) so this is just my opinion.

Soldato
Great relaxing holiday with a couple books to get stuck into if that's your thing. Go exploring when you dock at the different places and see what you want to see.

Man of Honour
I'd be quite happy doing it. But I don't mind spending time alone and would happily get chatting to people if I felt lonely. So it depends what sort of person you are.

Soldato
Personally, I think it's a terrible idea. Most, if not all the other people will be there with someone, so won't really be looking to have a solo traveller hanging round with them. There's a lot of better ideas/places to meet other solo travellers and have a good holiday.

This is assuming you want to mingle with others. If you just want to be alone so you can relax, do what you want then maybe. Still will get bit boring I would assume.

Ps. I have never been on a cruise (don't like the idea of being stuck on a boat) so this is just my opinion.

I disagree with this and from experience, i often wondered alone on my last cruise as my missus just wanted to relax, i met loads of different people whilst i was alone, played poker with strangers etc. It was great! But then, I am a social butterfly ;) :D

Soldato
I think they do singles cruises (if you're looking to meet people romantically), otherwise I imagine a normal cruise could still be a blast on your own if you get out and about and explore the ship and get engaged with the activities available, or just chill reading on the deck or similar.

Caporegime
Totally depends on the cruise brand, itinerary and time of year.

I've worked in the cruise industry for 7 years now, and have done 12 cruises, the Fjords one we did sailed out of Southampton and as such had a higher than normal amount of older people.

We've always seen solo/single traveler meetups, generally cruisers are a pretty friendly bunch (again on the right brands).

We've got a 12 night Baltics ones coming up in August that is going to be awesome.

Associate
Some cruise lines have specific cabins/areas for lone travelers (Norwegian springs to mind). I don't think you'd have any problems if you like your own company but I don't think I could do it. I personally found cruises quite boring between the stops unless you like eating and drinking a LOT. If you love to chill and read/watch things on your phone though, maybe you'd have a far better time but I tend to be one of those who's up at 6am on holiday to make the absolute most of it. Not a good way to be when stuck on a boat.

Back
Top Bottom