Disappointing experience with Switch

Man of Honour
Just wanted to rant somewhere, bought a Switch - exciting times, first Nintendo console really, 4 days in it stops charging - did some testing and I'm 99% sure its just the charger thats faulty, the console charges fine off my USB C phone charger.
What phone charger? A lot of them will destroy the switch's charging circuitry.

Associate
OP
Just a USB-C one, I haven't really used it beyond proving that it was the Nintendo adaptor that is dodgy - a friend at work has a switch and is going to bring his nintendo plug in tomorrow and I'll test it, if it is definitely that I'll just take the replacement charger and try and put this poor experience behind me, was very much looking forward to stardew valley :D

Man of Honour
I thought it was fine to charge in handheld mode with most phone chargers, just not when docked?

It's fine to use a USB C to USB A cable (with the right resistor in it) and any standard <= 2.1 amp USB A source, but specific fast chargers for USB C phones such as Samsung and Nexus chargers have been known to break the switch.

Man of Honour
It's fine to use a USB C to USB A cable (with the right resistor in it) and any standard <= 2.1 amp USB A source, but specific fast chargers for USB C phones such as Samsung and Nexus chargers have been known to break the switch.

Funny thing is USB C was supposed to avoid a lot of these problems but seems if anything to have made it worse with USB C chargers and accessories regularly getting pulled or replaced with new "fixed" revisions due to problems.

Man of Honour
Funny thing is USB C was supposed to avoid a lot of these problems but seems if anything to have made it worse with USB C chargers and accessories regularly getting pulled or replaced with new "fixed" revisions due to problems.

Another problem is that USB C is just an interface. All the different manufacturers use their own power delivery (PD) protocols that run on the same interface.

Associate

Well ****. I've been using my S9's fast charger to charge the switch ever since I got it.

Soldato
Correct. You can copy your SD content from one card to another but the saves are stored locally, which, as far as I know, you can't access.

Nintendo's explanation revolves around people abusing/cheating with cloud saves in games like Splatoon 2, Dark Souls and Pokemon. For instance in Splatoon 2 you could lose progress with a bad run in game, then exit the game and reload the cloud save to gain it back again. There is more to it than that (look up some of the creative ways that Dark Souls players abuse cloud saving on PC). I'm not convinced that they can't find some sort of compromise and maybe one day they will. For now, it is what it is.

I totally understand their position to avoid save game exploits but I wonder why your progress for Splatoon 2 etc. isn't just saved server side against your profile or something? Seems crazy that you have to start from scratch.

I was so scared of losing my Zelda save once I'd made a fair bit of progress, I was so happy when Nintendo launched the online service, obviously I would rather it be free or have the option of using an SD card but like you say it is what it is, Nintendo being Nintendo.

Associate
Just wanted to rant somewhere, bought a Switch - exciting times, first Nintendo console really, 4 days in it stops charging - did some testing and I'm 99% sure its just the charger thats faulty, the console charges fine off my USB C phone charger.

Could I check something here, have you only used their charger in the time you've had it? I'd heard the Switch can be sensitive to 3rd party or even none Nintendo approved chargers... I'm wondering if that's what's happened here. I personally use the dock but I previously used a random USB C charger with an Anker Power Bank when out and about.

Buying from a store meaning the retailer is responsible for at least 1yrs warranty is one of the major benefits. This is why high street shops need to stay open as they offer a lot of direct benefits to the buyer.

Tell that to Currys, had an issue with an Xbox One within 1st year of ownership and I could NOT get them to honour the warranty... Xbox on the other hand were very good to deal with.

Associate
Tell that to Currys, had an issue with an Xbox One within 1st year of ownership and I could NOT get them to honour the warranty... Xbox on the other hand were very good to deal with.

Curry's are an abomination of a company.

Slightly off topic but my parents bought a Bosch tumble dryer from the online segment in January which failed spectacularly within the 28day no quibble replacement time and Team KnowHow online support couldn't even get the product right during the complaint process, kept calling it a Washer :o. Many frustrating phone calls and emails later I got so fed up trying to get it sorted I instructed my parents to raise a charge back via AMEX and AMEX refunded them the money in March following their investigation.

They still have the dryer sat in the dining room having replaced it with a much better Hoover unit from AO which has been flawless. I've since said to them to use the warranty with Bosche to get it repaired and sell it on. Parents gain and Curry's loss! :D:D

Shawrey

Associate
OP
So just to update (I'm sure everyone's losing sleep wondering how I got on right....right?) I tried a friends Nintendo Switch adaptor and it charged it just fine off and on the dock, after asking for the refund Nintendo seemed to change tune and have now sent out a new adaptor for me so I'll hold on to the switch for now.

Soldato
So just to update (I'm sure everyone's losing sleep wondering how I got on right....right?) I tried a friends Nintendo Switch adaptor and it charged it just fine off and on the dock, after asking for the refund Nintendo seemed to change tune and have now sent out a new adaptor for me so I'll hold on to the switch for now.

Now go and get Breath of the Wild, you won't want to get rid of your Switch once you've played it...

Man of Honour
Trouble with Zelda is that if - like me - you love open world games then every one you try and play after it will be a total let down.

I played Skyrim, The Witcher 3 and Horizon ZD after Zelda (Zelda got me into the genre) and I found them all to be better in many areas so I don't really agree with that statement.

Soldato
I played Skyrim, The Witcher 3 and Horizon ZD after Zelda (Zelda got me into the genre) and I found them all to be better in many areas so I don't really agree with that statement.

Genuine question. Which areas? I've tried all of those games and got bored after a few hours. Zelda kept me hooked for many, many times as long.

Man of Honour
Genuine question. Which areas? I've tried all of those games and got bored after a few hours. Zelda kept me hooked for many, many times as long.

The key disappointing areas in Zelda for me:
  • The general audio and lack of thematic music
  • How barren the world is and the lack of any story (even the lore is extremely light) or key characters
  • It's pointless fighting enemies, it's better to just run past them all as you just burn through weapons with no reward
  • Having to just sit and wait when it rains and you're on a cliff
  • The game starts off with a decent challenge but after 10-15 hours the game becomes trivial and you can just mash attack on everything
BotW having a barren world where you are discouraged from fighting creatures makes the game really seem hollow compared to most other open world games.

Soldato
Zelda was a journey of discovery and wonder. The others are formulaic and dull to me because I have played them all a hundred times already. I will ponder this question more and get back to you (maybe) :)

Back
Top Bottom