Parking fine dispute amongst friends

Caporegime
With the best will in the world, and with absolutely zero desire to stir any pot, I wouldn’t care if my passenger was the director of the Institute of Advance Motorists, in (1), ultimately I decide if it’s okay to park in a certain spot, NOT my passenger.
(2), I decide if it’s fine to park MY vehicle, I don’t need to advised whether it will be okay or not.
(3), See # 2.
Finally, if after all that, I incur a PCN, then that’s down to me, no one else.

you sound like a barrel of laughs

Soldato
GFs dad did this to her.
She asked him for a lift to hospital (I think in this case for our daughter)
To save paying parking at the hospital he went next door and sat in Aldi's car park, Aldi auto registers you entering/leaving and fines you if you go over the allotted time.
I can't remember the time but he went over it and asked my GF to pay it (in full) he later came back and said he had decided to pay half himself.

his argument being that if he hadn't been taking her to hospital he wouldn't have had need to be there.
I thought it was very cheeky to even ask.

That is amazing! He was too tight to pay for a ticket in the hospital car park so he can support his daugher and go into the hospital with her, so parks in Aldi and gets a ticket - hilarious.

But then expects his daughter to cough up justified as he wouldn't have been there if it wasn't for his daughter - went from tight dad to dick dad very quickly!!

As for the mates, if it were not blatantly obvious it was a no parking area, as a mate i would probably offer half - yes it's his car, but he was good enough to drive. It's crap like this which might see another lift not been offered, all of the perks but none of the responsibility for the mates.

Man of Honour
you sound like a barrel of laughs

It would appear that you disagree with my theory that where I park, as the driver of mine or of any car that I’m driving, is ultimately down to me.
That is your prerogative, and for what it’s worth, when it comes to being a barrel of laughs, it’s very often said that I’m the life and soul of any party, with my subtle, laid back humour.
As my sister-in-law texted me early last Sunday morning, Jean, it all went flat when you and Red went home.

Caporegime
It would appear that you disagree with my theory that where I park, as the driver of mine or of any car that I’m driving, is ultimately down to me.
That is your prerogative, and for what it’s worth, when it comes to being a barrel of laughs, it’s very often said that I’m the life and soul of any party, with my subtle, laid back humour.
As my sister-in-law texted me early last Sunday morning, Jean, it all went flat when you and Red went home.

No the very thought that you would never take advice of someone to park somewhere.

As in if your passenger says there is a free spot over there you would be like no it's not the spot I chose so i'm not going to park there

Associate
Personally I wouldn't pay half unless it was due to the both of us not knowing of the need to pay / exit after a time. Same idea as if he got done for speeding on route I wouldn't share the fine or take the rap (I am not a politician..)

Would I contribute to the fuel and buy him a drink as he is the designated driver..... sure

Soldato
it's the drivers responsibility, he should not expect anything from the passenger or ask for it
that's just making things very awkward
yes if my passenger said he wanted to help i'd be grateful

Soldato
Driver should pay all unless the passenger specificly was the cause of getting the ticket.

Eg telling the driver to park/drive in the restricted area.

Soldato
No the very thought that you would never take advice of someone to park somewhere.

As in if your passenger says there is a free spot over there you would be like no it's not the spot I chose so i'm not going to park there

No, but you would (hopefully) as the driver use your own judgement as to whether it was actually an appropriate place to park. In the same way as if your passenger told you the speed limit down a residential road was 70, you'd use your judgement to realise it wasn't instead of blindly listening to them!

Soldato

I’ve had this on a couple of occasions

Passenger - there’s a spot!
Me - pulls up in spot, sees sign restricting parking to residents or permit holders, etc - drives off to find somewhere else

Man of Honour
Driver should pay all unless the passenger specificly was the cause of getting the ticket.

Eg telling the driver to park/drive in the restricted area.

This sounds like when you tore your trousers climbing over the fence to get your ball as a kid.
“It wasn’t my fault mum, Billy climbed over first!”
Mum; “If Billy stuck his head in a gas oven, would you do it?”

Soldato
Even if the passenger were insisting on where the driver park in a mad fit of rage, it boils down to the driver being in control, their final decision and therefore responsibility.

Man of Honour
I’ve had this on a couple of occasions

Passenger - there’s a spot!
Me - pulls up in spot, sees sign restricting parking to residents or permit holders, etc - drives off to find somewhere else

What annoys me with situations like that is where the passenger is like "It'll be fine", "people do it all the time", etc. whether they'd do the same if they were driving or not is another matter. Completely out of order trying to encourage someone else to do stuff like that.

Soldato
OP
Update: so the passenger hasn't paid his half of the fine but the driver hasn't paid the passenger for the money he owes him for the night (probably worth ~ 90% of the fine).

I will leave them to it.

Back
Top Bottom