• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will Navi equal a 2080 and be cheaper?

Soldato
We don't know. All the Navi leaks and rumours have turned into a contradictory mess. If the top-end Navi 20 cards are real I don't see them showing up until early next year.

But if you want RTX 2080 performance and content with similar cost, then you've just described the Radeon VII. Get that instead, because Navi won't supplant it for a while.

Permabanned
OP
We don't know. All the Navi leaks and rumours have turned into a contradictory mess. If the top-end Navi 20 cards are real I don't see them showing up until early next year.

But if you want RTX 2080 performance and content with similar cost, then you've just described the Radeon VII. Get that instead, because Navi won't supplant it for a while.
That being the case I would just get the 2080.
I'll try and hold off a bit.

Soldato
An argument with me? I don't recall it :confused:

He probably meant a general argument.

One thing we know for sure is that Navi this year will be under Radeon VII in price (direct CEO confirmation), and therefore very likely under it in performance and thus also under the 2080.

Soldato
An argument with me? I don't recall it :confused:
Oh no no no, not at all! And I don't mean argument in the shouty sense, I mean general standpoint.

In the various Navi threads here there's a strong opinion that AMD will charge Nvidia money for Navi because that's where the price point precedent is set. I've argued that would be sales suicide for AMD and they should undercut Nvidia by a good amount to swing sales in their favour. The idea being if a Navi card and its targeted RTX competitor perform the same in traditional raster workloads but Navi costs the same or is only a little bit below then consumers will just pay the little bit extra and get RTX because of the ray tracing and DLSS, regardless of if it works or not.

And you said exactly that :)

So let me ask you this as well: if Radeon VII was £100 cheaper than RTX 2080, would you still get the RTX because "might as well get RT"?

Permabanned
OP
Oh no no no, not at all! And I don't mean argument in the shouty sense, I mean general standpoint.

In the various Navi threads here there's a strong opinion that AMD will charge Nvidia money for Navi because that's where the price point precedent is set. I've argued that would be sales suicide for AMD and they should undercut Nvidia by a good amount to swing sales in their favour. The idea being if a Navi card and its targeted RTX competitor perform the same in traditional raster workloads but Navi costs the same or is only a little bit below then consumers will just pay the little bit extra and get RTX because of the ray tracing and DLSS, regardless of if it works or not.

And you said exactly that :)

So let me ask you this as well: if Radeon VII was £100 cheaper than RTX 2080, would you still get the RTX because "might as well get RT"?
For one hundred quid cheaper, I would live without it.:)
Same price (roughly) would be a no brainer to go rtx.

Soldato
For one hundred quid cheaper, I would live without it.:)
Same price (roughly) would be a no brainer to go rtx.
Oh I'm gonna quote you to high heaven the next time somebody says I talk rubbish :D

Back on topic, hold out for a little bit to see if prices change. Navi this year will come in under the Radeon VII/RTX 2080 so that's not what you want, but maybe the Radeon VII will shift in price.

Soldato
I would go a different route. I game at 4k where rtx is pretty much useless on a 2080. I would rather have the 16gb of Vram on the Vega compared to the RTX. If I was at 1440p I might think differently though. You are right though in the current climate AMD need to be the same speed but also cheap by a decent amount to win market share. They also need to do this and make profit. They are in a pretty bad spot as Nvidia's mind share is off the charts.

bru

bru

Soldato
Without triggering a full retread of the Navi thread here, your simple answer isn't a simple answer because we don't know. The more accurate simple answer is "this year? More than likely not".

Well yes I do agree we don't know, we hope it will and it might with Navi 20 next year, but Navi this year, then no it won't.

Disclaimer: Of course this is just my opinion, but if I was a betting man i would put money on it being correct.

Soldato
I don't know if I should hold off for Navi.

I'm aware no one knows anything for sure but I wonder what the hgeneral consensus is. Will Navi equal a 2080(non ti) at similar or lower cost?

I highly doubt that this years Navi will have a performance level as good as a 2080. Even 2070 is optimistic. Personally I cant wait for Navi because I'll be more than happy with the performance it delivers.

You'd be looking at next years Navi 20 if you want a high end card.

Associate
We won't know until reviews but in theory if you have 4000 shader unit on 7nm, with 200mhz clocks, with GDDR6 with improvements in the arch with greater cache with Vairable Rate Shading implemented. Then yes it maybe possible. 2070 is more likely

Soldato
I have to admit I can't see the first wave of Navi products being as fast as the Radeon VII, simply on the basis that those who forked out £650 for a launch day model will be left with a very bitter aftertaste only a few months later. If you want Radeon VII performance i'd go and buy one.

Back
Top Bottom