Getting beeped when you're not in the wrong

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm sure this happens to all of us, very frustrating. It's becoming more common on a particular roundabout that I have to navigate daily. It's a simple roundabout, except further up the road it splits into 2 lanes. This was done a few years back. The issue is people now seem to think the entire road is 2 lanes and as such now use the right lane to go straight over as well. Me using the left lane to go straight over get beeped. This is because as I exit I position myself in the middle of the single lane ready to to go the right lane when it splits. This is seen as me cutting up the non-existent right lane.

The only thing I can do now is go faster to clear the car on the right.

Link to the roundabout street view - https://goo.gl/maps/1Xz3wi9WMf6KKC5W6

9q1T8tf.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Indeed, it's a single lane off second exit. The fact it then goes to 2 lanes slightly further up is irrelevant to how you should be taking the roundabout.

Continue as you are and ignore the beepers.

Edit: Also, it's MK. You would have thought people would know how to take roundabouts in MK given there's roughly a million of them :p

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Wave and blow them a kiss. Drives them insane.

It's hard when they are behind you :p

A guy a few weeks back gave me a "ssssh" gesture when he saw me glaring at him because he was being a rude ****. First time I've seen that, wasn't sure what to make of it.

Edit: Also, it's MK. You would have thought people would know how to take roundabouts in MK given there's roughly a million of them :p

You'd think so, but my god some many clueless drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Devils advocate, but what makes you think there are two lanes entering the roundabout but only 1 exiting it? The width, shape and (lack of) markings on the road look pretty much the same on both entry and exit.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Devils advocate, but what makes you think there are two lanes entering the roundabout but only 1 exiting it? The width, shape and (lack of) markings on the road look pretty much the same on both entry and exit.

I think that is the crux of the issue, because they are wide enough for 2 cars then people see this as fair game. The road doesn't split into 2 lanes until further up, there is no markings to show 2 lanes until then.

No one tries it on the other exits, it's only because this splits further up.

Associate
The joys of roundabouts in MK lol, the worst thing is the huge number of drivers that cant stick to their lane when traversing a roundabout, but i think that's a national issue tbh.
I use that roundabout the same as you (not as frequently), and it definitely needs some new road markings to help clear things up.

Permabanned
It's hard when they are behind you :p

A guy a few weeks back gave me a "ssssh" gesture when he saw me glaring at him because he was being a rude ****. First time I've seen that, wasn't sure what to make of it.

so this seems to happen to you a lot then.

Are you saying you take the red line and the blue line drivers are the ones annoyed with you?

If so is there a particular reason why your taking the red line? Personally if I knew I was turning right or needing to be the in right lane just the other side of a roundabout and it was a 2 lanes in I would always attempt to use the right lane.
Purely so that no one could be to my right on exiting.

Soldato
The Kingston roundabout is the worst, people have no idea.

I use that every so often and i don't think i ever get it quite right, its not helped by the lack of instruction until its to late to get in the right lane or your obstructed as its so busy.
TBF i find MK drivers are pretty good for the most part, i see far worse when im in other parts of the country, you do learn to never enter a roundabout alongside someone though and just let the plebs get on with it!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Are you saying you take the red line and the blue line drivers are the ones annoyed with you?

If so is there a particular reason why your taking the red line? Personally if I knew I was turning right or needing to be the in right lane just the other side of a roundabout and it was a 2 lanes in I would always attempt to use the right lane.
Purely so that no one could be to my right on exiting.

Because the exit is only 1 lane. It's not 2 until further up.

Same as if you approached the opposite side, except that is marked properly.

Because the exit is only 1 lane. It's not 2 until further up.

Same as if you approached the opposite side, except that is marked properly.

I am not disagreeing, I am just saying that if I was turning right or the road splits further on and I want to be in the right lane I would keep right on entering the roundabout where there are multiple lanes, it just means the situation you describe cannot happen.

Technically I would say if there is room on the exit for 2 cars, and someone is to your right, then technically they are overtaking and as such you should give way. Thats if I was being a pedant ;)

Associate
I can think of a couple of roads like this where there is some sort of common understanding that they effectively become 2 lanes during rush hour/slow traffic, regardless of road markings. Quite nice to see actually.

Can you not just navigate it in the RH lane if everyone else is?

Back
Top Bottom