Getting beeped when you're not in the wrong

Soldato
what was wrong with what he said ? ... the person beeing overtaken doen't have a responsibility (other than not acceleratiing, or overtaking themselves)

Associate

Derr!

Rule 162
Before overtaking you should make sure

• the road is sufficiently clear ahead
  • road users are not beginning to overtake you
  • there is a suitable gap in front of the road user you plan to overtake.
Rule 163
Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

• not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
  • use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out
  • not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle
  • move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in

Derr!

Rule 162
Before overtaking you should make sure

• the road is sufficiently clear ahead
  • road users are not beginning to overtake you
  • there is a suitable gap in front of the road user you plan to overtake.
Rule 163
Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

• not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
  • use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out
  • not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle
  • move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in

All of which we assume are done from the OPs description of the situation. We have no reason to believe all the people coming off the roundabout are not doing this correctly.

The OP however :

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed.

Hes not, hes wanting to change road position

So yes very durr there is no give way to the left as you stated. (We give way to the right not the left)

what was wrong with what he said ? ... the person beeing overtaken doen't have a responsibility (other than not acceleratiing, or overtaking themselves)

well for starters he said we gave way from the left, we dont our principle is give way to the right, so somehow the person being overtaken had the right to move to the right, and ignored the fact that once being overtaken there is responsibility on the one being overtaken.
This I think is one of the least known and least complied with parts. (Rule 168) and why I think you get this people accelerating thing when being overtaken they dont know that they are now responsible for making the gap etc

Last edited:
Soldato
MK in rush hour is a doddle! excusing a few of the larger roundabouts (Kingston as mentioned!) its usually free flowing. I've been in Oxford a few times at peak times and its hideous in comparison, least MK has duel carriageways everywhere! - though i can appreciate that can be quite daunting to a new driver.

95% of my lessions and my test was in and around parts of oxford :) so I should be ok, thanks for the words of reassurance :)

Soldato
well for starters he said we gave way from the left
ok he was not sticking to strict dvla terminology,

If there overtaking then the onus is on them to be aware of the road/situation they give way to car on left as we drive on the left "Still"

but meant the overtaker can't cut you up, so should defer to the overtaken on his left.

albeit reading 168 'recomendation'
Rule 168
Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you

LOL ...more plain speaking .. allow for others screw-ups, lack of hp, the hill, or oncoming vehicle

ok he was not sticking to strict dvla terminology,

well it is kind of important ;)

but meant the overtaker can't cut you up, so should defer to the overtaken on his left.

He was very unclear if thats what he meant, and as the post was specifically about someone being on the left and wanting to move to the right, and being annoyed that someone already on the right was taking offence if that was indeed what he meant he probably should have got the right and left bit right, and been clear he was talking about cutting someone up. So it could have been dismissed as irrelevant to the point.

albeit reading 168 'recomendation'

LOL ...more plain speaking .. allow for others screw-ups, lack of hp, the hill, or oncoming vehicle

Well some of that is interpretation.
Is it reasonable to try to block someone overtaking?

It seems completely reasonable that once someone has started a maneuver (even if this is somehow a flawed one) to place the emphasis on someone to ensure that its concluded safely if possible, and not to have someone increasing the risk of the situation due to feeling annoyed or something at being overtaken.
The person being overtaken is best placed to deal with this, by following the recomendations, they by default have a gap behind them, and hopefully the person starting the maneuver is doing it safely.

There are plenty of actions open to the Police should someone be overtaking dangerously.

Going back to the OP situation, if the road is a single carriageway (as it appears) and yet two cars are side by side, in seemingly a completely safe manner as the road is wide enough, then surely the maneuver is an overtake by the car on the right?
If that has been commenced in a safe manner (seemingly) then the duty falls on the guy on the left to not move right in a manner that is dangerous. You know, the basic principle, mirror signal maneuver. Plus the specifics on if someone is overtaking you.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I don't think the driver on the right thinks he is carrying out an overtake so they wouldn't be driving like they are overtaking, they simply think that the right lane is straight over as well.

I don't think the driver on the right thinks he is carrying out an overtake so they wouldn't be driving like they are overtaking, they simply think that the right lane is straight over as well.

I agree they probably don't think they are. But if the road is a single lane and two cars are driving side by side its about the only logical conclusion to the situation with our road laws.
There is either one lane or two. If its one, they are overtaking, if its two then the car to the left is changing lanes.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I agree they probably don't think they are. But if the road is a single lane and two cars are driving side by side its about the only logical conclusion to the situation with our road laws.
There is either one lane or two. If its one, they are overtaking, if its two then the car to the left is changing lanes.

It's definitely one lane, I had a closer look today as a passenger and you'd only just squeeze 2 cars on the exit and only if the left car was quiet close to the kerb.

I rarely get beeped, but one occasion was because I turned into a road and had to slam on the breaks because a pestrian was crossing the road (who I couldn't see before turning). The person behind me must be an impatient **** to have started to speed up quickly enough that it matters. Also what were they expecting me to do? Run over the pedestrian?

Soldato
I rarely get beeped, but one occasion was because I turned into a road and had to slam on the breaks because a pestrian was crossing the road (who I couldn't see before turning). The person behind me must be an impatient **** to have started to speed up quickly enough that it matters. Also what were they expecting me to do? Run over the pedestrian?

You would have been at fault if you did. Crossing a road on a blind turning is a daft thing to do though.

It's definitely one lane, I had a closer look today as a passenger and you'd only just squeeze 2 cars on the exit and only if the left car was quiet close to the kerb.

I guess on actual exit of the roundabout its a free merge situation, but once on the single lane then they must be technically overtaking when 2 cars are in one lane.

The entrances to the roundabout look narrow, and seems some people go into the middle from the google view. I guess when its busier there are queues form so its in theory splitting what might have been single entry into two in order to allow more traffic to be on the roundabout at a time.

Soldato
Not sure if it's just me but did you read that incorrectly?

You would have been at fault if you did (HIT THE PEDESTRIAN). (IRRESPECTIVE) Crossing a road on a blind turning is a daft thing to do though.

roundabouts are fun though - just have to allow space in front, or have well evaluated the driver in front, so they don't ruin them,
because they cannot synchronise their arrival with gaps, or worse, stop/look/listen even when there is no one coming.

Soldato
or worse, stop/look/listen even when there is no one coming.

How do you know no one is coming unless you actually stop, look, and listen, first?

Especially if you are looking out for unlit Ninja Cyclists at night

(And even if they are not unlit, the modern LED lights need care too, they are bright point sources, Like somebody shining a laser into your face. A mere glance is not sufficient to allow one to work out whether the cyclist is 50 yards away or right in front of you.)

Associate
I guess because Bicester isn't that far from Milton Keynes that some people here are unable to read the markings painted on the road. I got beeped at yesterday because I was turning left at a mini roundabout which has two lanes approaching, the left lane which was the lane I was correctly in has an arrow showing a left turn only marking in the road, the right lane shows a straight on arrow. Someone in the lane on the right was alongside beeping because they wanted to turn left. A wave at the child in the back of the car and a one finger salute from me to the driver and the C-Max had to go straight from the right lane which is marked as straight on.

Another roundabout on my work commute has two lanes at a set of traffic lights both showing straight on, it's actually a right turn but the road markings show otherwise as straight on is just a petrol station, and when you're at the traffic lights there is no left turn as you've gone past that, I've had people cutting across from the right lane to go to the petrol station where I've had to slam on the brakes!

Back
Top Bottom