Recommendations for Android phone around £150?

Associate
Not too bothered about camera quality. Would prefer if it was a more recent phone so it would be more likely to get OS updates. Would like to be able to play most games on it (first phone for my kid).

Would consider used/graded so long as it still came with at least 12 months warranty. Only want to buy the phone from a UK source.

Haven’t looked at phones for years so I don’t know the market these days. From an initial scan the Huawei 10 Lite and Moto G7 Play seem fairly decent for the money? Anything better?

Soldato
A Xiaomi Mi A2 will offer more grunt with its Snapdragon 660 processor rather than the Honor 10 Lite's Kirin 710. Also, with it being an Android One device it should get fast OS updates. I know you say you want UK sourced, but you can get the Mi A2 from european Amazon (Italy for example) for under £150 including delivery. Warranty won't be an issue within europe as it should be easy enough to return if you need to.

Failing the above, the Honor 10 Lite is a good shout, although it's not clear how good they'll be for updates. Security patches yes, but I wouldn't bank on future OS versions being prompt, if coming at all.

Avoid the G7 Play; the Snapdragon 632 is not near the Snapdragon 660/Kirin 710 processors in terms of power.

Some may come in and suggest refurbished/pre-owned older flagships for £150, but you cannot bank on updates for them any more, and battery life will be an issue as time goes on with an older device.

Soldato
Xiaomi Mi A2? It's Android One so should still get decent updates and Snapdragon 660 shouldn't be bad for gaming.

EDIT: If you're willing to forgo the Android One software, Redmi Note 7 might be a better buy, considerably bigger battery, headphone jack, MicroSD expansion, etc

Last edited:
Soldato
Still using my Nokia 6 and my wife has a 5, my Mum also now has a 3 and loves it. No issues with either mine or my wife's in over a year, both have version 9 installed.

Edit, not good for gaming sorry

Soldato
Can find the Nokia 7.1 for £150, damn good price!
They're good but don't offer as much grunt as the Honor 10 Lite/Mi A2 when it comes to gaming (although they are more powerful than the G7 Play the OP suggested)
Xiaomi Mi A2 looks promising
Do it. Just translate the page before you order in case you accidentally order 10 :D The phone will have an English language option.

Associate
They're good but don't offer as much grunt as the Honor 10 Lite/Mi A2 when it comes to gaming (although they are more powerful than the G7 Play the OP suggested)

Do it. Just translate the page before you order in case you accidentally order 10 :D The phone will have an English language option.

Won't be playing games on it so as long as it has a decent screen/camera I'll be happy.

Soldato
If they are the same price then I would pick Nokia 7 Plus over the Xiaomi Mi A2. If you're willing to take the risk, the latter is available for cheaper though from your Hong Kong based resellers, seen it on sales for around £110.

Associate
OP
I know you say you want UK sourced, but you can get the Mi A2 from european Amazon (Italy for example) for under £150 including delivery.

I'm actually fine with buying from Amazon EU. Have previously bought from Amazon Germany and items arrived quicker than from Amazon UK :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the suggestions - helps narrow the field!

Soldato
Having used Moto G phones for several years I was looking at the G7 Power but as NFC was removed from UK phones I looked at Nokia & Huawei/Honor phones.

Ended up with the Honor 10 Lite which was cheaper then the Huawei P Smart 2019 though basically the same phones. No problems with it though I don't use my phones heavily like most other peeps.

Actually bought mine from Argos as it was easier than chasing the best deal and they are close to most other places.

Associate
OP
Yeah, i think the Nokia 7.1, Huawei Honor 10 Lite and Xiaomi Mi A2 would all be fine for him. The Mi A2 is actually available direct from Xiaomi UK now for £179: https://buy.mi.com/uk/buy/product/mi-a2.

I'm leaning slightly towards the Honor 10 Lite as the Mi A2 doesn't have a headphone jack or micro sd expansion but those aren't deal breakers for me. I have a month to make a purchase so if any bargains pop up on either of them then that may push the decision another way.

Soldato
Yeah, i think the Nokia 7.1, Huawei Honor 10 Lite and Xiaomi Mi A2 would all be fine for him. The Mi A2 is actually available direct from Xiaomi UK now for £179: https://buy.mi.com/uk/buy/product/mi-a2.

I'm leaning slightly towards the Honor 10 Lite as the Mi A2 doesn't have a headphone jack or micro sd expansion but those aren't deal breakers for me. I have a month to make a purchase so if any bargains pop up on either of them then that may push the decision another way.
Mi A2 £136 on Amazon.es today. You're right, shame about the headphone jack, but I'd also say shame about the Micro-USB on the 10 Lite, that port really has had its day!

Back
Top Bottom