Railway sleeper posts for a rack

Man of Honour
Hello, I want to make a rack for my paddle boards using a couple of railway sleepers I have spare. I can easily get the horizontal board rack parts so all I really need to do is get the sleepers to stand vertically a few feet apart.

The area this would be mounted on is earth. There isn't a good wall to mount the sleepers to so they have to be sturdily put into the ground. The rack would be something like this:

31yMROhg92L._AC_SY400_.jpg

I'm thinking that postcreting them into the ground may be flimsy. Would these be a better idea? https://www.toolstation.com/concret...MIh5vr7Mii4gIVBJztCh1zkAO-EAQYASABEgIGI_D_BwE

What's the best approach. I am probably thinking about it the wrong way!

The weight of 2 boards would be approx 30kg

Any thoughts? Thanks

Soldato
just curious - you keep them outdoors - in the UV and elements ?

I don't see why same strategy as fence posts wouldn't work - there were recent threads on that - yes & postcrete 'issues'

Soldato
The anchor brackets won't be any good. They are designed for railway sleepers lay on their side not stood vertically with significant lateral forces.

By far the best option in my mind is to dig the railway sleeper into the ground. Following the same principals as fencing I'd put 1/3 of the railway sleeper into the ground then concrete in place.

Associate
I think I would sink a wooden fence post in first so it's a good couple off feet down and then screw the railway sleeper to the post. Or just attach the brackets to the longer fence post and not bother with the railway sleepers.

I presume your railway sleeper isn't long enough to sink deep which is why you're saying about it not being steady?

Man of Honour
OP
just curious - you keep them outdoors - in the UV and elements ?

I don't see why same strategy as fence posts wouldn't work - there were recent threads on that - yes & postcrete 'issues'

Hadn't really thought about the weather element. I keep a couple of kayaks and and inflatable sup outside already but have a rigid sup coming this week.

I live on river and don't really want to be in and out of garage or whatever as would stop me using often. I guess I could make a shade

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Actually think they are longer than that, I would have enough left if I put 1/3 below ground

Longest board is 14 foot by they way so not easy to take in and out of house

Soldato
If they are only 6 or 7 foot high, then 12 to 18 inches in the ground would be fine (depending on the ground) as they are not holding a fence panel and being exposed to lateral the force of the wind like a fence would be.
And for only 2 holes then i gues Postcrete would be ok lol

also talking about wind. it may be worth the OP getting some bungee cords as those boards could bounce around on those pegs in windy conditions

Soldato
Not sure where you live, and I appreciate that they’re large items, but how are you going to secure them to the rack to make sure they don’t fall off in a winter storm or get put in the back of someone’s van while you’re out?

Man of Honour
OP
Not sure where you live, and I appreciate that they’re large items, but how are you going to secure them to the rack to make sure they don’t fall off in a winter storm or get put in the back of someone’s van while you’re out?

I live on the Thames. Rear access is only really by river. Someone could pinch and paddle off or put on a boat I guess. There is a risk but most neighbours also have boats, kayaks etc. I was thinking some sort of bungee for weather

Back
Top Bottom