How best to protect my eyes?

Soldato
Modern LCD monitors I think are much safer, easier on the eyes than the old CRT types.
A few additional things not already mentioned. Screen breaks of course but also focus on something in the distance often if you can. A tree outside a window, lamppost in the distance, a pretty lady(or bloke) in the office opposite :D. If facing into an open plan office, something at the other end of the office.
Brightness should not be much brighter than around the monitor. So if first thing in the morning you turn the monitor on and it seems bright in relation to the surroundings then it probably is. Obviously it needs to be bright enough to see it but if you're in a dark office then the brightness needs to be lower. Bright office, then higher.
Make sure you read all the leaflets the company give you and do the H&S questionnaire. Don't be afraid to speak to someone if you feel ANY discomfort.

Caporegime
They went out of fashion like flared trousers and orange jackets.

Did they even work? I still don't know what their purpose was, I always thought it was so your colleagues couldn't see you browsing MSN whilst searching for Myspace stuff on Altavista. Maybe they became redundant with LCD screens? I dunno.

Caporegime
Me and many thousands of peeps sat staring at mainframe and pc CRT screens during the 80s, 90s and 2000s with all sorts of dodgy lighting in computer rooms and offices, and I can't recall anyone ever having eye problems/headaches or requesting glasses or filters at all. Hell, I once flicked the end of a ciggie into one of my eyes and it was absolutely fine after a couple of days. Just don't look at the Sun for too long and I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Soldato
Did they even work? I still don't know what their purpose was, I always thought it was so your colleagues couldn't see you browsing MSN whilst searching for Myspace stuff on Altavista. Maybe they became redundant with LCD screens? I dunno.

If I remember right the idea was that by using a polarising filter that you would cut out reflections from the glass CRT screen and also cut the FoV to "straight on" so only the operator could see the screen and not someone spying from another building. Both only became an issue once normal people were allowed to use computers instead of just us basement dwelling techies kept safely away from harmful sunlight and fresh air.

Back
Top Bottom