Locking something that is not yours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Unfortunately you undid anything on your side by not waiting a reasonable amount of time while the gardener got the key. Ridiculous situation though - where I work in situations like this they put a combo lock on if there is an immediate concern and message the code then replace with a keyed lock when keys have gone around and they leave a number on display of a security contractor who can be called out if anyone is caught out like in your situation - obviously this isn't just residential setup though.

Man of Honour
Err what? That's exactly what he did, intentionally deprived me of me possessing my own bike, you just proved my point that he did steal it.
No he didn't. He just planned the lock and key handover **** poorly. He temporarily deprived you as a result of poor planning or an error.

However you intentionally ripped the door off despite being offered the key at one point.

Soldato
Err what? That's exactly what he did, intentionally deprived me of me possessing my own bike, you just proved my point that he did steal it.

Ignored the word permanent in his post then?

I think had you acted like less of an arse there'd be more sympathy both here and in the eyes of the law. He's planned it poorly but you've committed criminal damage.

Soldato
Im even more annoyed at this point, tell him I shouldn't need to wait even 1 minute to get my own bike
Cor, entitled much?
You're kicking off at the gardener for something that's not even his fault?

He then points out I have just proved how easy it is to break into the shed.
So?
It's about keeping your valuables out the sight of opportunist thieves casing the area, not denying them access. It's a deterent, not prevention.
Same as locking stuff away in your boot or glovebox, neither of which are especially secure. Will you be complaining to car manufacturers, too?
Also, his words are no justification for what you did.

Anyway maintenance guy has messaged me claiming I am liable to pay for the repair of the door as I was witnessed causing criminal damage and the gardening guy had to stay late to fix it.
You're still liable, regardless of whether there are witnesses or not.

Why on earth would any person with half a brain lock all the sheds BEFORE giving keys out?
Because your bike might have been stolen before he got round everyone to give them keys, and then you'd be venting spleen over that instead.

this joker thinks and I quote "you should have took alternative mode of transport if you were unable to get your bike". I mean seriously?
Your train was 2 minutes away, yet you reckoned you had time to get your bike out and ride to the station... Why aren't you walking that distance in the first place?

So GD, I have had a quick search online and it all points to me being right - you are entitled to break a lock that is stopping you accessing an item you own, what does GD think though?
I think you need to research more.
Similarly, and more commonly, if the DVLA clamp your vehicle and you break their lock, you will be done for it. It's criminal damage. Had you picked the lock open and not damaged anything in the process, that would be a different matter.

But as is, you behaved like a dick and are now getting arsey over being in the wrong.

I hope he does involve the police, he basically stole my bike by locking it without giving me the key. Joke will be on him.
Oh yes, I'm sure he will be weeping into his gruel when his lovely new tennant is peacefully occupying the property, while you're out on the street and owing him money for the repairs...

Associate
Can't see this one as being anything other than criminal damage, from a legal perspective, irregardless of how annoying/inconvienient the situation was.

Caporegime
You went about this the wrong way. You should have left the door in place, but ripped the entire shed out instead. Really show them you mean business.

Soldato
Maintenance have been stupid, putting an extra padlock on the shed before handing out keys to residents, depriving everyone of use of their bikes.

Perhaps OP should have used a taxi or another form of transport and send the bill to maintenance.

OP has demonstrated that the extra lock is pointless if the door can be removed so easily, clearly the shed is not fit for purpose of storing bikes and I suspect insurance companies would not be very interested if claims were made for bikes being stolen from a useless shed.

Man of Honour
No he didn't. He just planned the lock and key handover **** poorly. He temporarily deprived you as a result of poor planning or an error.

However you intentionally ripped the door off despite being offered the key at one point.

Can't say I have much sympathy with the maintenance people mind - it isn't really that hard to see the way they did it would have potential to inconvenience people but maybe they thought the security side of it was that pressing - but if so should have made more of an effort to have someone on hand and/or message on the answering machine out of hours, etc.

Perhaps OP should have used a taxi or another form of transport and spend the bill to maintenance.

One of those things that is a bit idealistic though and the OP would most likely have just ended up out of pocket while maintenance would have given him the run around.

Something that has annoyed me at 1-2 places I used to work with their whole in an emergency you should have taken a taxi and we'd reimburse you but then chew people up when they do that and make it hard for them to get reimbursed.

Man of Honour
A2Z it sounds like you approached this issue badly, do you have anger management difficulties, or often find that you make knee-jerk reactions without fully considering the situation?

Whilst I would have course be annoyed if my bike was locked in a shed, I wouldn't be forcibly removing it, particularly after highlighting the issue to someone and having had that person offer to resolve it.

There was never any hint of theft about the whole scenario.

Soldato
I completely understand your frustration, it seems the implementation of the additional lock was poorly planned and executed.

Thats not an excuse to act like a giant man child and break the door off the bike shed though - its a completely disproportionate response.

Soldato
I hope he does involve the police, he basically stole my bike by locking it without giving me the key. Joke will be on him.
it most certainly wont

i can understand your anger at finding your bike locked in but unfortunately for you the law doesn't agree with your view that the maintenance people basically stole your bike.

as galling as it may be it would appear that paying up for repair of the door would be in your best interests. if your description of the events are accurate then i'd strongly suggest the police/law will side with the maintenance people in this instance. i think you may need to climb down off your angry high horse and accept that while it was pretty crappy of them to add the 3rd lock, you had no justification (legally) to force the door - at least not using the argument that they had 'stolen' your bike.

guess you need to speak with a lawyer on this one if you are intent on refusing to pay.

Man of Honour
No intention of theft occurred, other guy offered to get you a key, you still acted like a ****.

Yes it's annoying but if someone stepped in your way on the way to the station would you have just rode them down because "OMFG I NEED TO GET TO THE TRAIN GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!!1!1!1111"?

Caporegime

I think you need to look up what stealing means. I'll give you a head start though, it ain't that rubbish that you've written above.

Sounds to me like someone is a huffy little *****!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom