Locking something that is not yours

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Where I live there is a bike shed with 2 locks on it. Went to get my bike yesterday evening to go somewhere and be there at a certain time when I find a 3rd lock has been installed on the shed door.

I look around, nobody there, check my letter box, no key has been posted, try to call the building maintenance guy, straight to voicemail.

I open the other 2 locks and proceed to pull the door till it starts to break off its own frame. As far as I am concerned somebody has unlawfully locked my bike in and I need it right now, no other action I can take. Door is half way off when a gardener looking person strolls by and asks if Im ok. I explain my fury at someone locking my bike in and he says the new lock has been installed due to bike shed thefts in the area, and that the maintenance guy was supposed to send a letter to all residents. If I wait a few minutes he can find a key.

Im even more annoyed at this point, tell him I shouldn't need to wait even 1 minute to get my own bike, there has been no letter sent whatsoever, and proceed to take off the rest of the door. He then points out I have just proved how easy it is to break into the shed. The shed door is wooden and really flimsy, took about 3 pulls to break it off.

Anyway maintenance guy has messaged me claiming I am liable to pay for the repair of the door as I was witnessed causing criminal damage and the gardening guy had to stay late to fix it.

I told him he must be joking, by locking my bike and not giving me access to it, that was criminal behavior and I am entitled to get my bike. He was not planning on giving keys out until late in the evening last night. Why on earth would any person with half a brain lock all the sheds BEFORE giving keys out? it's common sense to send a letter informing everyone whats happening, give them keys, then install the lock so nobody is denied access to their own items, but this joker thinks and I quote "you should have took alternative mode of transport if you were unable to get your bike". I mean seriously? He locks my own bike in then expects me to find a different way to travel? :D

So GD, I have had a quick search online and it all points to me being right - you are entitled to break a lock that is stopping you accessing an item you own, what does GD think though?

Associate
I have no idea what the law says but personally I would have probably just waited it out and preempted that this was a planned move. Not ripped the bike storage door off...

Associate
take the other bikes

blackmail maintenance guy

sit back, rub hands and laugh like an evil genius.

then pop down to see if you can repair the damage

Soldato
Everything was fine and I was on your side until he offered to go and get you a key and you ripped the door off.

Why didn't you just wait 5 minutes and be stress free rather than cause all of this? Seems like poor decision making tbh.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
OP
Who owns the bike shed?
I rent so not exactly sure, but all residents have access to it.

take the other bikes

blackmail maintenance guy

sit back, rub hands and laugh like an evil genius.

then pop down to see if you can repair the damage
:D

You broke a door not a lock.
It's not a padlock type of lock that you can just cut. Only way to get in was by breaking it off the door, which i tried, but the whole door came off.

anger issues...
Not really, I just don't accept someone locking my bike in and thinking its OK.

Put him in the bike shed when it's fixed, lock it with a padlock and tell him you'll post out a key that evening.
Exactly my point! Can't believe he thinks its OK.

unless you own the shed, you have willfully damaged someone elses property. cant see how you think you are in the right here?

impatience is not a defence
That is true it has been damaged, due to the actions of someone else, not me. I'm not going to go easy on him and accept it because he made a mistake. He can pay for it and learn the hard way.

Everything was fine and I was on your side until he offered to go and get you a key and you ripped the door off.

Why didn't you just wait 5 minutes and be stress free rather than cause all of this? Seems like poor decision making tbh.
Because my train was coming in 2 minutes and if I didn't get it I would be late to where I had to be. I'm not going to be late because of someone elses poor decision making by locking it before giving out keys.

Soldato
You should point out how ineffective 3 locks are at stopping people breaking into the shed and charge them for your penetration services to display this ineffectiveness :)

Soldato
Because my train was coming in 2 minutes and if I didn't get it I would be late to where I had to be. I'm not going to be late because of someone elses poor decision making by locking it before giving out keys.

Committing criminal damage in front of a witness and admitting it online or late for a train? Touch choice.

6AtJWkA.png

Soldato
You're both idiots. You broke the shed even when he said wait 5 minutes and he'll get you the key and he locked your bike away without giving you a key. Sadly for you your idiocy was criminal damage and there's no law for what he did

Soldato
I rent so not exactly sure, but all residents have access to it.

You see, if that was my shed and you broke the door off it, I'd be expecting you to pay for the damage.

I'd be looking at the situation far more favourably if you were apologetic and explained that you really needed the bike instantly and you were happy to pay for repair.

If I thought you were being a ****head about it, I'd be involving the Police.

If I was particularly annoyed with you, I'd be serving you with a Section 8 eviction notice.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
OP
You should point out how ineffective 3 locks are at stopping people breaking into the shed and charge them for your penetration services to display this ineffectiveness :)
Good idea. I did tell him the new lock is rubbish and to get a better one.
Committing criminal damage in front of a witness and admitting it online or late for a train? Touch choice.
Actually it's a very easy choice. Principle comes first every time.
You're both idiots. You broke the shed even when he said wait 5 minutes and he'll get you the key and he locked your bike away without giving you a key. Sadly for you your idiocy was criminal damage and there's no law for what he did
Not sure if there is a law but from research the police are more than happy for you break whatever you need to get access to your item as long as you actually own the item, which I do and have proof.

You see, if that was my shed and you broke the door off it, I'd be expecting you to pay for the damage.

I'd be looking at the situation far more favourably if you were apologetic and explained that you really needed the bike instantly and you were happy to pay for repair.

If I thought you were being a ****head about it, I'd be involving the Police.
Im not paying for anything, and I shouldnt need to or have to wait 5 or even 1 minute to get my own bike. I hope he does involve the police, he basically stole my bike by locking it without giving me the key. Joke will be on him.

Soldato

I like your thinking!

But yeah i can't see you getting away with this one, especially if the gardener was already going to get the key to unlock it. 2 mins to catch your train or not, you should have left earlier.

I would play hardball and stick in a complaint about it etc, the fact that 3 locks is clearly ineffective and see what happens. But i wouldn't be surprised if you get billed for the damage.

Soldato
Im not paying for anything, and I shouldnt need to or have to wait 5 or even 1 minute to get my own bike. I hope he does involve the police, he basically stole my bike by locking it without giving me the key. Joke will be on him.

No, no-one stole your bike. You don't even know who owns the shed, or if they knew about the extra lock.

Even if the landlord put the lock on himself, he didn't steal your bike. Stealing means intentionally and permanently depriving someone of possession of something.

If the Police become involved, the first thing I would tell them about is my intention to pay for the repairs and I am in the process of finding out who owns the shed. Then explain that I REALLY needed the bike.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
OP
Even if the landlord put the lock on himself, he didn't steal your bike. Stealing means intentionally and permanently depriving someone of possession of something.
Err what? That's exactly what he did, intentionally deprived me of me possessing my own bike, you just proved my point that he did steal it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom