Road Cycling

Soldato
That's me had a good rest tonight :o

I'm so easily led to go out and deal with it. Probably be at -100 form on Sunday for this race and I can use it as an excuse for doing *****. :D

I very much doubt your real form is anything close to -100, your figures look so bad in Strava because you have just started using a hrm and presumably you don't use a power meter. Strava will be basing your fitness/fatigue/form as if you have just gone from a "couch potato" to a machine on a bike.;)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/elevate-for-strava/dhiaggccakkgdfcadnklkbljcgicpckn?hl=en (if you have Google Chrome installed on your pc) should look back through your Strava history upon installing and running, giving you estimated stress scores for your rides, with a ballpark meaningful rolling 42 day fitness/fatigue/form. If you can remember any weight changes over your Strava riding history or any other changes for data asked for in Elevate's "athlete settings," throw some date periods in where changes roughly happened and Elevate will judge rides on that data.

Soldato
https://www.strava.com/activities/2392628416

Used the opportunity of collecting a free bottle of wine from town last night (#vodafonerewards) to abuse myself outside rather than on the turbo. Although empty (hadn't eaten for 5.5 hours prior) my legs felt good, few good efforts at threshold and lots of 'active recovery' type efforts as I really feel that's what I'm struggling with at the moment. Happy with that in the gusty winds around, even though a little short it was a refreshing change to an hour at thresold Zwift racing.

Probably be at -100 form on Sunday for this race and I can use it as an excuse for doing *****. :D
As long as you've got an excuse, that's all that matters! ;)

If you can remember any weight changes
Jonny - this means can you remember when you went out drinking and ate kebabs. :cool:

Soldato
https://www.strava.com/activities/2392628416

Used the opportunity of collecting a free bottle of wine from town last night (#vodafonerewards) to abuse myself outside rather than on the turbo. Although empty (hadn't eaten for 5.5 hours prior) my legs felt good, few good efforts at threshold and lots of 'active recovery' type efforts as I really feel that's what I'm struggling with at the moment. Happy with that in the gusty winds around, even though a little short it was a refreshing change to an hour at thresold Zwift racing.

Coming up next week... 5min VO2 effort intervals interspersed with 2mins recovery for a free 6-pack of Stella. ;)

Soldato
Coming up next week... 5min VO2 effort intervals interspersed with 2mins recovery for a free 6-pack of Stella. ;)
Steady. I'm in a fairly civilised(!) cider drinking area of the country. 6-pack of Strongbow please! ;)

VO2 for me is listed as (came from Strava's calculation) as 258W-298W. So I did pretty much one of them, with those kinda roads (single track) that's hard, here I was over VO2 into anaerobic as there are drags up, but then 'easing' back into Threshold when things levelled off/oncoming cars/dog walkers to reach that VO2 'average'. Was pushing myself quite a bit doing that one so unsure how many I could do with better roads. Ideally need more clear, draggy-slight gradient roads for it. To be fair that wondering back road isn't great for it, too many changes in gradient, a good paced effort carrying speed just ends up as tempo. I found the similar efforts on the open flatter roads are 22/23mph so with that kinda route I'm covering far too much ground and reaching multiple lights/traffic/junctions too frequently. Basically moan moan moan lol :p

5 minute efforts like that are so much easier to do on the turbo! :D

Soldato
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/elevate-for-strava/dhiaggccakkgdfcadnklkbljcgicpckn?hl=en (if you have Google Chrome installed on your pc) should look back through your Strava history upon installing and running, giving you estimated stress scores for your rides, with a ballpark meaningful rolling 42 day fitness/fatigue/form. If you can remember any weight changes over your Strava riding history or any other changes for data asked for in Elevate's "athlete settings," throw some date periods in where changes roughly happened and Elevate will judge rides on that data.

I often forget about this but realistically don't always find it that accurate. Apparently I'm pretty fatigued right now :o

gN6b6Qo.png

Soldato
I very much doubt your real form is anything close to -100, your figures look so bad in Strava because you have just started using a hrm and presumably you don't use a power meter. Strava will be basing your fitness/fatigue/form as if you have just gone from a "couch potato" to a machine on a bike.;)

Yeah I'm taking the **** really, starting using a HRM with a race and going from there is not the greatest training tool.

It takes ages to build up a full graph like Roady and find a patern to it etc.

Was still surprised I made it round the with the group at just under 25mph average as my legs were screaming the whole time, did not feel strong on long drags at all.

Soldato
Hope everyone enjoyed the bank holiday! I failed miserably to get out in the glorious weather, but did get a 100km Zwift group ride done (after failing it last weekend).

Did do a full clean and played with my FD to try and eliminate chain rub. Thought I'd solved it and on this mornings commute it's still the damn same as last week, ffs! Think I need to remove it (braze on) and refit it. I've not done that since riding 52/36, had rubbing when down to 50/34 and now I'm riding 53/39, so it's long overdue!

Anyone riding a Canyon Aeroad and ridden enough other stuff to compare it to? Really think I'll go that route with a bare frame to build up. Can't justify the additional +£1k or more to go the Tarmac route. I don't imagine much/any difference between rim/disc with the Aeroad with current range?

Strava Elephant 200 mile & 12h ride anyone - https://www.strava.com/activities/2396759600

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone riding a Canyon Aeroad and ridden enough other stuff to compare it to? Really think I'll go that route with a bare frame to build up. Can't justify the additional +£1k or more to go the Tarmac route. I don't imagine much/any difference between rim/disc with the Aeroad with current range?

Shirley if you would want a Tarmac then you would be looking at an Ultimate instead of an Aeroad. An Aeroad would be comparable to the Venge

Associate
There's a rumor there will be a new Aeroad out this year. so may worth waiting for the annoucement and net a bargain....if you decide to head down the Aeroad path. but i was always under the impression that Aeroad is one of the earlier generation aero bike i.e. lack of comfort?

Soldato
I often forget about this but realistically don't always find it that accurate. Apparently I'm pretty fatigued right now :o

gN6b6Qo.png
Where's that in Elevate?

I had it installed but as my Maps and routes wouldn't load/display paths I'd disabled it. Anyone else see this? The map on an activity loads, but there's no path on it, no segments shown and no list of them below it.

Shirley if you would want a Tarmac then you would be looking at an Ultimate instead of an Aeroad. An Aeroad would be comparable to the Venge
Please don't call me Shirley mid-week ;) :D

I'd gone the Tarmac route/choice because the previous Venge model was known to be a bit weighty and incredibly uncomfortable (too aggressive for me) as well as the integrated handlebar being ugly as sin. It was also known as a nightmare to tweak/change bars/positions with due to the bars.

As my current bike is quite heavy, not particularly aero but incredibly comfortable, I do 'everything' with it, including all commuting. The replacement/summer bike needs to be a combination of light, aero and stiffer. I know I have to compromise comfort for that. As it would possibly only be used for some very occasional summer commuting, the majority of it's riding being club rides/solo fast efforts, not 'easy' riding I think that's acceptable. As I've got quite a short inseam for the size 54 I'm currently riding I know I'd struggle to get comfortable on a size 54 aggressive aero bike, so the Tarmac seemed the logical choice - a little less aggressive (similar geometry to what I'd riding), while being incredibly light and stiff, sacrificing only some aero to the Venge. I know the recent Venge is loads better in most of those aspects, but it's probably still too aggressive a geometry for me, unless I tweaked a size 52 quite a lot? I should probably be able to get away with a size 54 Tarmac.

I'd thought the Canyon Aeroad as they're aero, light and stiff. I recall reading they don't 'suffer' from much additional weight compared to the Ultimate (compared to the Venge vs the Tarmac) and I had also heard they where not as aggressive. But that's possibly old information from older years versions. I basically couldn't see the Ultimate offering me enough - I already have a comfortable 'every day' & 'all day' type of comfortable ride/sportive bike. I think I'm after a stiffer, lighter, aero machine for fast riding. I do want to do some non-serious TT riding (with clip on tt bars).

The reason I'm looking the frame route is to build it up over an extended period to spread cost. I would initially use old/current wheels on it. I have a crankset and PWM. I want to build it up with hydraulic discs, with hopefully Ultegra DI2. I can't justify the £4k+ for that setup buying a complete bike.

The Tarmac Expert is the cheapest 'good' framed Tarmac, but doesn't come with DI2. The Pro which does is a different geometry more comfort orientated frame which isn't as stiff, or as light. So the only 'good' frame Tarmac with Hydraulic DI2 is the £9500 top of the range S-Works... All of them over my budget and I would say the bare frame at £3400 is around £1400 more than I'm prepared to spend on a frame alone...! And that's before bars/stem! Most of those prices for the Tarmac you can add +£300/400 to for the comparative Venge model/spec.

The Canyon CF SL 8.0 DI2 comes in at £1800 for the frameset, including integrated bars (which are a 'nice to have' on my list of requirements). Far more affordable and meets all my requirements to do a build on. The Ultimate CF SL 8.0 DI2 frameset is even cheaper at ~£1700. But doesn't have integrated bars/stem.

There's a rumor there will be a new Aeroad out this year. so may worth waiting for the annoucement and net a bargain....if you decide to head down the Aeroad path. but i was always under the impression that Aeroad is one of the earlier generation aero bike i.e. lack of comfort?

Good shout, thanks as I wasn't aware of the new Aeroad on the horizon. From what I'd read before the Aeroad was one of the more comfortable ones but that might be utterly wrong haha

Last edited:
Associate
Good shout, thanks as I wasn't aware of the new Aeroad on the horizon. From what I'd read before the Aeroad was one of the more comfortable ones but that might be utterly wrong haha

some feedback i saw. i never had experienced an Aeroad, so i'm only going with what i read online

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150023&_sm_byp=iVVSrN1ZrS55M4sF
https://forum.bikeradar.com/viewtopic.php?t=13088483&_sm_byp=iVVSrN1ZrS55M4sF

rumor:
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...7e9c8eb5357&start=60&_sm_byp=iVVSrN1ZrS55M4sF

by the way, im quite new to strava, where do you see VO2 max? power curve page or fitness/form page? Thanks.

Soldato
Where's that in Elevate?

I had it installed but as my Maps and routes wouldn't load/display paths I'd disabled it. Anyone else see this? The map on an activity loads, but there's no path on it, no segments shown and no list of them below it.

FgLds07.png

Is it updated? They had to switch off Google Maps as Google started charging a lot for their API and no "free" mode. (well there is but it gets blasted with development only watermarks..)

Soldato
Still no sign of a positive form on my FnF graph as yet!

Also still peed off about chucking the race on Sunday but I've heard of 4 crashes so part of me is glad I did. Cornered like a frickin sir last night as it was sunny and dry, weather made for a bunch of 25 or so which went from 'this should be an easy night' to attack, attack, attack, attack, then more attacks off folk that had been sitting in. :D

All this talk of Canyon bikes, someone please buy me an Aeroad SL7.0 or 8.0 please. I'm not fussy which ones, either the blue fade or silver kthxbye.

Soldato
for those using tubeless what do you carry in case of puncture ?
Tubeless worms (saved me twice), 2*co2 and 1 tube.

On another note...
I'm also looking at a new bike with DI2 at the end of the year, possibly between the Ultimate, TCR and the Aeroad. It's annoying not being able to test ride the canyons, due to that I could end up with the TCR.

Soldato
Dynaplug, combo co2 handpump and a cartridge

E: Pulled my Canyon order after yet another delay to the order and by far the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

If that's how bad they are at actually selling and getting you the bike I shudder to think of the hell dealing with them on an issue post sales, no thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom