This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Aye - different things come out during different stages of an interview process. Candidates find out positives and negatives throughout their discussions, just because a candidate is progressing through the rounds it doesn't necessarily mean that each interview is enhancing the firm/opportunity toe the candidate - I think you once mentioned that you'd worked in recruitment years ago, so I'm sure you've seen this first hand. Therefore it's important for potential employees to be given the time to make a fully informed and careful decision. Even if it works out well in the end, a rushed decision can never be described as careful.

As @Basher says, it works for him/his firm, but both parties are likely to make more incorrect calls on each other if decisions are rushed.
Agree with all of this. The decision is never rushed as it's clear pretty quick if the candidate is likely to be the right fit (and vice versa). I appreciate this probably doesn't work in every industry and for every kind of role but for us, it does. We've got some pretty well defined criteria we're assessing against and we're asking a LOT of the candidates. We're also looking for them to make big decisions that mean big changes in their lifestyle so it's all a good test.

Soldato
OP
It is, sure, but it's not often just them a part of the decision making process. At least, not affected by it, it's the whole family. Giving someone 24hrs to decide on something of that magnitude would just not ever be on my approach. If that's what you do, that's your call, but it's not something I've ever done, or would ever do.

Soldato
It is, sure, but it's not often just them a part of the decision making process. At least, not affected by it, it's the whole family. Giving someone 24hrs to decide on something of that magnitude would just not ever be on my approach. If that's what you do, that's your call, but it's not something I've ever done, or would ever do.
Oh I'd never expect them to make a decision within 24 hours, either. The process normally starts with a reasonably informal chat about the expectations of the role - especially the impact on work/life balance (there is little balance). I'd then give them at least a week to consider if this is what they really want, if it is, then we crack on with the interview process.

Underboss
5 weeks into my first Private Sector IT job, wow it's been an eye opener - learning everyday and using systems I would never have been exposed to in the Civil Service but are industry standard.

Soldato
When I used to for a well known IT company back in 2005, everyone used Lotus Notes unless you was 2nd/3rd line support or management then you use MS Office. Never understood that.

First time ever I used Lotus Notes, never again. What junk!

Soldato
So I had my chat with the Group FD, they're not willing to match the offer financially now - which I didn't expect.

They are willing to put in place a formal development plan, with key milestones which will trigger pay increases (such as landing a project I've been working on etc) which will take me down a preferred career path and will be more lucrative in the long run from a financial and a job satisfaction point of view.

I'm torn, money now or stick where I am for a better role and better progression in the long run.

Man of Honour
When I used to for a well known IT company back in 2005, everyone used Lotus Notes unless you was 2nd/3rd line support or management then you use MS Office. Never understood that.

First time ever I used Lotus Notes, never again. What junk!

Reminds me of having to use MS Works at times around the late 90s to early 2000s instead of having a full Office environment, urgh.

Soldato
Interview on Monday for an internal role. Final stage, involving a 30 minute presentation, then a 30 minute Q&A + general interview questions. This follows about 80 minutes of first interview a few weeks back which brought about some great feedback so feeling good. Also managed to "skip" a technical knowledge interview that others may have had to complete. The role is potentially amazing and will be something that requires long term strategic engagement with very senior counterparts within Pub Sec organisations. Really up for the challenge and it is a great opportunity to grow my impact and career.

Soldato
Just been offered a new role to get out of MSP Life - although a fantastic MSP not one of those crappy ones, an increase of 3k base salary with an extra 2.5k as part of on-call rota - lots of project work involved whereas at my current MSP i'm pulled from pillar to post with my normal day job which is looking after public/private cloud operations, but also get pulled onto projects, service desk escalations, internal issues and meetings galore about platform related issues (when I don't get the time to proactively look at platform issues because of the other issues)

For me it's a fairly obvious choice, but just had a 10% annual bonus and feel a little bit guilty leaving almost immediately after.

Soldato
Don't feel guilty, the bonus is for the work you've done in the past year (essentially) so if the new position is better for you, go for it!

Yeah that's the logic, but it's difficult because it's a great place, just massively under resourced - but i'm 99% sure I am gonna go for it, just need to ensure I sleep on it this w/end.

Back
Top Bottom