This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Feeling depressed, was talking to one of my new colleagues and found out when I started at my last place he hadn't been born ...

This is going to sound harsh... but age is just a number. If you feel like an old piece of furniture then its time to invest in your skills, knowledge and approach. You've already done that by starting somewhere new, use it as an opportunity to hit refresh.

Soldato
Nothing.

Or rather, this is just a side effect of doing something which means that I'm in a "younger" place than my previous company where I am actually able to use the technologies which I wanted to several years ago but was artificially prevented from doing so. Technologies which are much more relevant now ...

Soldato
We have a dept meeting this week, (first in years also) about the plan for decommissioning and a massive old system which is still in active use.
But there's no one left who knows the full extent of what it does. Everyone thinks someone else looks after it. They want to turn it off.
But in fact all their systems rely on it. I wondering will they realise this, or actually decide to turn it off before checking. (they have a history of doing this)
Should be fun.

Soldato
Finally decided to make the move to Los Angeles, my workplace want to transfer me to the main office. Been a long few months trying to figure out how to deal with my relationship here, but my partner understands that I'd be an insane person to turn the opportunity down.

Got all the visa stuff to do, looks like I'll be going on the O-1 special talent visa, (according to their attorneys) so I have a whole load of **** to sort out, so it's going to be a difficult few months, not entirely sure how long the process will take, but I'm hoping to be over there by the end of the year.

I'm not sure whether i'll stay there forever, I already spend a lot of time in the US so it's not a novelty for me - but I do love the country and the outdoors.

Associate
Finally decided to make the move to Los Angeles, my workplace want to transfer me to the main office. Been a long few months trying to figure out how to deal with my relationship here, but my partner understands that I'd be an insane person to turn the opportunity down.

Got all the visa stuff to do, looks like I'll be going on the O-1 special talent visa, (according to their attorneys) so I have a whole load of **** to sort out, so it's going to be a difficult few months, not entirely sure how long the process will take, but I'm hoping to be over there by the end of the year.

I'm not sure whether i'll stay there forever, I already spend a lot of time in the US so it's not a novelty for me - but I do love the country and the outdoors.

Congrats, out of interest what do you do as the o1 isn't the easiest of visas to get?

Man of Honour
We have a dept meeting this week, (first in years also) about the plan for decommissioning and a massive old system which is still in active use.
But there's no one left who knows the full extent of what it does. Everyone thinks someone else looks after it. They want to turn it off.
But in fact all their systems rely on it. I wondering will they realise this, or actually decide to turn it off before checking. (they have a history of doing this)
Should be fun.

Sounds like a retail backend hah - coded in COBOL by any chance? LOL. Been there done that still have my head in my hands.

Man of Honour
Serious morale problems at work at the moment. Clients are just unnecessarily demanding and difficult, management crushing us on financial performance. Working all the weekends. A general lack of appreciation that we’re humans. One person has thrown in their notice and all of a sudden people are interested in our well being.

I’m flirting with the idea of a move but doing so would collapse the whole team. That’s not my responsibility but.... ya know :/

Soldato
Congrats, out of interest what do you do as the o1 isn't the easiest of visas to get?

I work in the games industry, (one of the big ones) they do a lot of visa and move people all over the place, have their own immigration attorneys etc - so I've basically left it to them to drive the whole thing.

Because I've written some publications and done some stuff that was recognised by the industry (won an award and some other stuff) combined with me having 20 years experience in a very niche area, it makes getting an O1 quite doable.

To get an O1, they make it sound like you need to be like a brain surgeon, olympic athlete or film star to quality - in reality, it can apply to absolutely anybody who's needed and has lawyers who can make that argument for you. Now I don't have it yet - I might not get it, but I'm being told by immigration experts that I should have no problem...

Hopefully :D

Soldato
OP
******* mortgage advisor rant. Specifically French one in this case. The utter bell started saying our equity in our almost paid off apartment, and our 20k cash pot we had would suffice as a deposit for the new place. Said no issues at all. The months pass, we are like...so? He's like you need more liquid cash, how much more have you saved? Luckily we had been saving, so had more than that but he never mentioned this, at all. Now he called us on Sat to say that we need 50k in liquid cash as a minimum... ideally 65k. Erm, that's a nice 45k jump from our initial convo where you said it'll be fine you ******* moron.
Luckily I can release a bit from my pension, we have it in Switzerland where you can you a % against a property purchase, so trying to get that which will see us over 50k, but then if they want 65k we'll have to sell the apartment. This isn't a problem, but it's the speed of turnaround on it, when it was never something that was mentioned 3 months ago. He's driving us mental.

Rant over.

Soldato
******* mortgage advisor rant. Specifically French one in this case. The utter bell started saying our equity in our almost paid off apartment, and our 20k cash pot we had would suffice as a deposit for the new place. Said no issues at all. The months pass, we are like...so? He's like you need more liquid cash, how much more have you saved? Luckily we had been saving, so had more than that but he never mentioned this, at all. Now he called us on Sat to say that we need 50k in liquid cash as a minimum... ideally 65k. Erm, that's a nice 45k jump from our initial convo where you said it'll be fine you ******* moron.
Luckily I can release a bit from my pension, we have it in Switzerland where you can you a % against a property purchase, so trying to get that which will see us over 50k, but then if they want 65k we'll have to sell the apartment. This isn't a problem, but it's the speed of turnaround on it, when it was never something that was mentioned 3 months ago. He's driving us mental.

Rant over.

Yep - having virtually the exact same problem, but here in the UK. The mortgage advisor gave us some advice which has amounted to us not being able to get mortgaged to the amount we hoped - "don't worry, you can just borrow the missing amount from your company"...

On a business note, we've had a bit of a set back that might be a blessing in disguise. As part of our growth plans we hired a second junior member of staff, who quit within three months. Personally I think she only joined so that she could get an income reference and three months' of paychecks in order to secure a flat to rent, but it's been an expensive exercise and I don't think I'll see much change from the £20k it cost to employ her.

Honestly, she was terrible to work with. Had loads of potential and her ability to speak with clients was brilliant, but she was terrible at taking direction, was the last in/first out/longest lunches/most personal calls/etc. in the entire office. I don't really mind what hours staff work as long as they're getting through their workload and improving - she was doing neither. In the end, despite having three months' experience and not knowing her arse from her elbow, she started informing us that we were doing things wrong and that she knew how to run processes better.

Eurgh...

Already have her replacement lined up, and we're comfortable that he's a better choice for the role.

Associate
I work in the games industry, (one of the big ones) they do a lot of visa and move people all over the place, have their own immigration attorneys etc - so I've basically left it to them to drive the whole thing.

Because I've written some publications and done some stuff that was recognised by the industry (won an award and some other stuff) combined with me having 20 years experience in a very niche area, it makes getting an O1 quite doable.

To get an O1, they make it sound like you need to be like a brain surgeon, olympic athlete or film star to quality - in reality, it can apply to absolutely anybody who's needed and has lawyers who can make that argument for you. Now I don't have it yet - I might not get it, but I'm being told by immigration experts that I should have no problem...

Hopefully :D

Interesting the only person I know that got an o1 is a gaming graphic artist. Sounds like you have a pretty strong case for getting it.

Back
Top Bottom