Road Cycling

Soldato
Ortlieb is branded, that's fine, as they make bags... But I take umbrage to riding with a Continental branded bag when I'm not riding conti tyres! I'm just fussy! ;)

Oh yeah, plus points if I can carry a track pump and/or a chop saw with it still only 0.2L capacity. Tardis-bag! :D

Have a good weekend all!

Soldato
Lets not go there, I've a reputation to uphold... :D :D :D

Looks a good bag but I don't like branded equipment if I'm not using their products... ;)

In other news - Keo cleats £11 on Sigma

Replaced the second of my Lifeline compatible ones last night, maybe 2/3 the price but half the life of the Keo branded. Oh well, was worth trying out!

I just got some lifeline ones today along with some cleat covers, my previous cleats have lasted probably 3+ years, so got good use out of them, and they were the ones that came with the Vectors!

Soldato
Guys, who has one of those 'minimal' type saddlebags?

I'm using the Scicon Elan saddle bag it has enough room for single tube, co2 inflator with one co2 installed and spare co2, 2 tyre levers and tyre worms/tool. I carry a small multi tool in my back pocket.

With all that its a fairly tight fit, but it's tiny and hidden under the saddle. One strap secures it so it's easy to access and more importantly the zipper doesn't flap around making annoying ticking noises ;)

Last edited:
Associate
I need some new slick 28mm 700c commuter tyres. I currently have some Michelin Pro4 Endurance v1 tyres (28mm) and they have lasted well. They are getting on for 2 years old now, however the V2 ones are crazy money. I'm looking at £35.93 for 28mm ones and I paid £23.39 for the last ones which was at the upper end of my budget. Can anyone recommend any tyres for around £20 each? Must be 28mm, no deep tread/fairly slick (fast rolling), decent amount of puncture protection, good grip in all weathers and fairly long lasting.

So far I can see Schwalbe Durano RaceGuard DC and I'm intreiged by Wiggles LifeLine Prime Armour. Though I wasn't impressed with my lifeline tubes so I'm not sure about them.

Thanks

Dave

Associate
Just reading some good things about them on road cc. I had a few lifeline tubes and it could have just been a coincidence, but they punctured quite quickly. Switching back to conti's seemed to result in much longer between punctures, but I suppose that's luck as much as anything.

The snob in my wants branded tyres, I'm just not prepared to spend £71.86 on them!

Dave

Soldato
Jumped out tonight for a change of pace, forgot how much I enjoy the loop and going slower let's you see it. Two pheasants, a hare and a deer on my travels.

Don't know how I ended up picking a max of 170 for my heart rate but going by feel it felt like I was trying a little without going too deep which meant I was never taking too long to recover. Stuck to 150-160 on the flat and only going higher on climbs.

Hopefully I'll see gainz everywhere :D

Soldato
Hi all, quite new to cycling, but love me some stats and was coming to make a post about how Power meters work and what I might need. Can anyone give me a brief explanation or link me to somewhere that does?

At present I have a Wahoo Element with a HRM and cadence sensor linked into it. Thanks :)

Soldato
If you're new to cycling then I probably wouldn't advise a PWM just yet, unless you have quite a bit of disposable income. It could be useful starting out, as you can see your power increasing as you progress, but it's far from essential when you're starting out.

If you've got around £500 or so, you could get a single pedal Garmin Vector. But you'll need to spend around £1000 for an all singing and dancing crank PWM, that's dual sided etc

Soldato
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I like to monitor stats (Hence the Wahoo, HRM and cadence sensor :) ). I have a Boardman HYM 8.9, will have to check it later for compatibility I guess.

I assume whatever I end up with will connect in with my Wahoo?

Soldato
Got to start somewhere. Must have been brutal after a year though!

Was chatting to my boss about a loop I did yesterday.

Winter time he did it in 4h 15m, race fit 2h 15m. Some difference!

Soldato
I just got some lifeline ones today along with some cleat covers, my previous cleats have lasted probably 3+ years, so got good use out of them, and they were the ones that came with the Vectors!
3 years?! Here's me trying other cleats because I'm only getting 3-4 months from my Keo's... But I do have to walk in them daily on tarmac. Still only about ~100 feet a day! :confused::o

I'm using the Scicon Elan saddle bag it has enough room for single tube, co2 inflator with one co2 installed and spare co2, 2 tyre levers and tyre worms/tool. I carry a small multi tool in my back pocket.

With all that its a fairly tight fit, but it's tiny and hidden under the saddle. One strap secures it so it's easy to access and more importantly the zipper doesn't flap around making annoying ticking noises ;)
Good feedback thanks. Does the zipper not flap around on it? I can see one in pictures. To be fair I used to get no noise from my Ortleib but as the clips got worn it had started to rattle on there.

Can anyone recommend any tyres for around £20 each? Must be 28mm, no deep tread/fairly slick (fast rolling), decent amount of puncture protection, good grip in all weathers and fairly long lasting.
Lifelines are about the best on that budget, but you really are searching for the holy grail with those requirements on a budget! ;)

I can recommend the Specialized Roubaix Pro 2019 that I'm running, but the 32mm I'm running where £30 a pop (or just under). Which is dirt cheap for a tubeless...! The 28mm are non-tubeless at £22, but if they are not 2018/19 they're not that fast rolling and quite heavy. I was running the 2016/17 in that size. Bombproof but sluggish. The 32 I'm running now feel lighter (somehow - and that's before considering tubes) and feel faster. Previously I noticed the difference between the 25/28 Roubaix pro and the conti g4000sii 28mm, I would say this 32 is comparable, so would notice the same difference. But running these wider and larger tubeless I'm reluctant to change.

There's just something about running 40/50psi I'm reluctant to move away from! #oldmanproblems also #sealanteverywhere :o :D

Two pheasants, a hare and a deer on my travels.
Must've seen 4 or 5 of them on my jolly saturday afternoon. One of which crossed my path then flew up flying alongside me on a descent. Would've been an amazing experience - if it wasn't a damn pheasant which are just as likely to fly into you as alongside you. Dull things!
https://www.strava.com/activities/2415364360
Really warm amazing weather but was turning humid by the finish. Good to get out for a decent effort, had around an hour and a half to burn so not quite enough for a loop I wanted to do, so went fairly flat and fast roads to get the average up and power down. Loop was loads faster than expected with the gusty winds around, maybe should've done my planned loop as legs where obviously good...

Running a few mins late sunday morning Zwifting and missed the 7.25am start for the 3R 100km group ride. Spun aimlessly for a bit and bumped into Eric Min the Zwift founder. He's been good for a chat before in a group ride and was just as friendly when riding solo. Really likeable guy. Turns out he was making a surprise appearance in a WBR fundraising ride which was just about to start, so jumped in that too! Rode it fairly hard to get the 100km kinda volume into a single hour. Jumped into another easy group ride afterwards for a couple of intervals. Legs still feeling good but had to call it a morning after a good couple of hours. Really feel like I've found some form, that's 3 or 4 rides in the last couple of weeks where I've had good legs. Fingers crossed I can continue with them, or at least keep an increase in fitness going! :D

Soldato
Good feedback thanks. Does the zipper not flap around on it? I can see one in pictures. To be fair I used to get no noise from my Ortleib but as the clips got worn it had started to rattle on there.

It's quite a solid zip, once folded in it doesn't move, unlike my other bag I have to try tuck it inside.

Soldato
I did say to one to chill out man I wasn't going to run it over but I don't think it spoke English/Glaswegian.

I speak good cow though, giving it big moooos when close to them :D

I saw your rather brisk ride and had a gander at the elevation, yous are all cheating ******** down there :mad:

Soldato
3 years?! Here's me trying other cleats because I'm only getting 3-4 months from my Keo's... But I do have to walk in them daily on tarmac. Still only about ~100 feet a day! :confused::o
:D

Get some cleat covers, I'm riding every day and have to walk couple of hundred metres each way to my locker, cleat covers save them.

Soldato
I saw your rather brisk ride and had a gander at the elevation, yous are all cheating ******** down there :mad:
Our roads are a tad smoother too... though saying that Surrey County Council have just covered 90%* of the roads in crappy surface dressing. Pretty damn dangerous in the corners or if you hit a big drift of it. They seem to have selected roads which were relatively smooth anyway and they haven't even managed to fill the holes!

* About 3 roads I rode on the weekend... but that's 3 too many :D

Back
Top Bottom