Road Cycling

Soldato
I got 2 photos for free from Etape Loch Ness as I rode it as media. They weren't amazing photos though. Certainly wouldn't have paid for them. I don't think I've ever paid for photos though was nearly tempted with Fred Whitton.

dod

dod

Soldato
I got 2 photos for free from Etape Loch Ness as I rode it as media. They weren't amazing photos though. Certainly wouldn't have paid for them. I don't think I've ever paid for photos though was nearly tempted with Fred Whitton.
They were rubbish weren't they. I did actually buy the package but they were poorly composed, a few were out of focus/soft, really not worth it but at least they were a record of the day.
There were loads of freelancers out, you seen any of theirs?

Soldato
They were rubbish weren't they. I did actually buy the package but they were poorly composed, a few were out of focus/soft, really not worth it but at least they were a record of the day.
There were loads of freelancers out, you seen any of theirs?

I haven't but I am talking about the 2017 event. Lots of freelancers out at the Fred too but I only found a couple of them online.

Soldato
If you've got around £500 or so, you could get a single pedal Garmin Vector. But you'll need to spend around £1000 for an all singing and dancing crank PWM, that's dual sided etc

I just got me some brand new dual sided Vector 3's for £550 delivered :) :)

@AndyCr15 - If you plan on using the PWM on multiple bikes at any point in the future then I cannot recommend pedal based enough.
Have a look on eBay for second hand Garmin Vector 2 or Powertap P1. Both pedal based and both very good. Both will speak to your Wahoo head unit without any problems.

If you can land some good condition Vector 2's sub £400 that is a bargain (dual sided that is). You can get even cheaper though second hand on the single sided units if you want to save even more but just take your time and watch eBay loads!

Associate
I've got 4 Quarqs, excellent PWM's with great reliability, customer service and support. You can pick them up for under £600 if you hunt around. Id go for a 110 BCD so you can fit 52/36 rings for all round gear coverage with a 11-28 rear. Changing BB to GXP is cheap and easy (if threaded) if using Shimano (SRAM 10/11 speed chainrings work fine with Shimano gearing).

Soldato
Anyone on Cycle Republic mailers and seen any recent discounts available? Halfords just emailed out 15% off some selected bikes but stock levels vary to Cycle Republic.

Soldato
CR 5% cashback on Quidco. Not seen any codes but not something I generally look out for.

If anyone wins the lottery this week I've fallen in love with the Pinarello F12 Disc Red eTap AXS... ;) :cool: :o

In other news, horrible annoying tickly cough has developed so only commuting for me this week. Need some volume on the weekend but possibly avoid too much intensity until it clears. #FFS #kidgerms #germfactory

Soldato
Mine is unable to offer one as they couldn't introduce it company wide as it would put some seasonal staff below minimum wage. And as a company they can't be seen to offer it to some employees and not others! Sucks.

Also exactly why they also don't do a childcare scheme/voucher. As the (fairly new) government scheme we've had to use instead cannot be combined with my other half's scheme (wtf government), we're 'losing out' on £150 a year by not using hers...

But £150 a year is nothing compared to the cost of childcare, wouldn't even cover 4 days for us. Our childcare costs are more than our mortgage! When we went on holiday we paid £180 to nursery for him not even being there (normal price for 4 days) to 'keep his space open'! Daylight bloomin robbery!

I was fuming. :mad::eek::o:mad:

Soldato
I'm really tempted to just splash out and get the Vector 3's. I like how simple they are, no extra modules. That will mean finally making the leap to clip ins, which I know to you all will seem odd, but I guess I'm afraid of the time I know will come where I fall over at some traffic lights! I also use my bike to go to the gym. How feasible is riding the bike with clip in pedals, but wearing trainers?

Associate
I'm really tempted to just splash out and get the Vector 3's. I like how simple they are, no extra modules. That will mean finally making the leap to clip ins, which I know to you all will seem odd, but I guess I'm afraid of the time I know will come where I fall over at some traffic lights! I also use my bike to go to the gym. How feasible is riding the bike with clip in pedals, but wearing trainers?

Not far to be honest. Maybe to the shop at the end of your road. Id start with mountain bike Shimano SPD's as these have the easiest clip in-out motion and more feasible to walk in compared to road shoes/cleats. If you get a crank based PM then all you need to do later is change the pedals to use road shoes and cleats.

Soldato
Heavens have opened here today, continual heavy rain from around 10am. Thankfully missed it this morning, but don't think I'm going to be as lucky later...

But the other half did drive mini^me to nursery, so I'll not get utterly drenched doing a chariot ride...

By the end of the month my other half's work is changing their rota for saturdays, she'll go from working 2 in 3, to alternating. Should hopefully mean I get more opportunities to do the club ride(s) rather than the once a month I seem to get at the moment. Excellent! If someone could just arrange some fantastic riding weather for all saturdays that'll be grand. Thanks. :D

Soldato
Guy I know managed to ride the Stelvio yesterday. I think it was open for the first time this year that morning for a couple of hours, before they then closed it at lunchtime (due to avalanche risk)! Strava only shows 3 riders going up there this year. He's not one of them as his Garmin 520 screwed the GPS track and didn't register on the segment. Gutted! He was faster than them too! Some great pics on his ride.

He then went with his original plan and rode the Mortirolo in the afternoon! He'd driven there from Lake Garda at 2am when he heard the Stelvio was open. Lucky git timed that well! :D

In other news - if I ride any epic climbs I'll be taking my Wahoo and probably also record them on my smartphone haha #garminwoes

Soldato
Strava Needs A Polish used to be a great tool for fixing gps data but it seems to have fallen by the wayside. It was really handy fixing rides in the mountains where weather/trees/hills give you wonky traces.

Soldato
Totally agree, GPS data is screwy and inaccurate at best, some kinda 'snap to route/road' like when planning a route. Make it activity dependant - a road ride 99% on roads, isn't suddenly going to deviate by 100's of feet off road and snap back. Some kinda smoothing of the GPS points to 'known' roads or such. Make it like the 'Fix Elevation' they implemented for screwy altitude data. Shouldn't be hard.

Also I found some lightweight scottish sprinter guy who should be doing crit races, not climbing.

Soldato
Strava Needs A Polish used to be a great tool for fixing gps data but it seems to have fallen by the wayside. It was really handy fixing rides in the mountains where weather/trees/hills give you wonky traces.

I bet Strava's API changes broke it. They suddenly killed a load of API endpoints (or reduced the responses) after they had users unintentionally reveal secret military base locations.

I tried fixing a PR up Box Hill that hadn't tracked the official segment. I got it fixed in terms of start/end time but the middle where I had dragged stray GPS points back to the road looked like I had applied digital epo so I just left it in the end. PR was only 8s improvement anyway, not enough.

Back
Top Bottom