Just bought a DS1618+ to use as Plex storage

Associate
Hi All,

I've recently invested in my first NAS. Prior to this I have been running basic independent disks inside a server case. I have the following hard drives:

6 x 8TB

2 x 6TB

I have around 40TB of data. I was planning to leave the 6TB drives in the PC and populate the NAS with the 8TB drives. Now, 4 of those 8TB drives are new, the others have data on them. I was looking to use SHR to protect against a single drive failure. I've just lost a 5TB red so figured it would be a good idea to have some element of protection. I am aware that this is not a backup, just some protection. Non of this data is precious, or mission critical, it would just be a pain to download it all again. With this in mind, would SHR be a good solution or just "Basic"? The downsides of SHR for me are the really long build, expansion and rebuild times, not to mention the risk of a 2nd disk failing during rebuild and all 40TB being lost.

The pluses of Basicare that I can use 100% of the space, I can download the 8TB quicker than I can rebuild SHR and there is no initial build time.

In short, is SHR overkill for Plex media or worth the "downsides"?

Last edited:

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I wasn't aware with Synology it was possible to have JBOD. What happens if a drive fails -- do you still have access to the data on all the other drives? Biggest downside there is you're having to manage free space on 6 different drives, whereas having an array gives you a giant pool. At the most basic level, having lots of drives increases your chances of losing any given drive, so keep that in mind. Also, I'm surprised about your comment of being able to download 8TB quicker than a rebuild. How long do these rebuilds take?

Soldato
JBOD wont offer any protection at all -if a disk fails no way to rebuild that disk at all

I just built a Ds1019 - and the original SHR build took no time at all (well it continued the build after I started putting data on it no problem at all)- rebuild on large disks (Im using 12tb Ironwolfs) will be several days most likely so yeah that is something to take into account (although unit will still be usable so not too bad)

I only went with 1019 because I couldn't afford the larger units (and is expandable) if I had, I would have gone with double redundancy....if you can afford more disks / space

Also be aware that if you do want to use the 6tb disks in the array , build the volume with them from the start (I hadn't realised this technicality until after)

I was planning on building my volume with the 3*12tb disks and then adding a couple of the 4tb reds from my old server once I copied the data across - unfortunately you cant do this, you can only use disks larger than in your original volume not smaller

The Synology volume tester on their website (or whatever they call it) doesn't account for this and lets you do it which is a little annoying

Last edited:
Associate
Check out my thread in this section. I have a 4 drive Synology SHR btrfs and have so far replaced 2 drives and looking to replace a third. All fully rebuilding so far so there is your answer.

I chose to use 4TB disks as the rebuild times are shorter and less chance for errors also.

Back
Top Bottom