UEFA Nations League Finals ... **Spoilers** [5th - 9th June 2019]

Don
There's nothing major about the nations league stiggy. It's a glorified set of friendlies.
Genuinely dont get the hype with this fella.
The hype is because at 19 he's already performing at a very high level, something you rarely see at CB - typically CB's take far longer to establish themselves, particularly at a higher levels. What I'd question is the automatic assumption that because at 19 he's already at this level, that he'll go on to become x times better. Sometimes players reach their peak a lot sooner than others and if you look at his strengths, his physicality and maturity in terms of leading the defence, these are two aspects of their games that young defenders have the greatest room for improvement. De Ligt's not going to become a great deal bigger and stronger as he is now though and while I'm sure his decision making etc will improve with more experience, there's not the room for improvement as there is for most 19 year old defenders.

He is though already a very capable CB and with time and experience he will learn and improve even more. I don't think we're seeing a future VVD though - I don't see the pure technical ability there nor does he have outstanding pace either. He's very much your old school CB, somebody in the Terry, Vidic mould, that will thrive in a side that plays a deeper defensive line, organising a back 4, making blocks and interceptions and heading things away. He could become one of the very best of that type of CB and although he could still do a very good job, I'm not sure he's entirely suited to playing in a side that plays a higher line, defending counter attacks and one on one situations.

Don
The BBC can call it what they like, it's a glorified set of friendlies. They literally took the friendlies that were being played and made it into an official competition.

Back
Top Bottom