• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 8700 CPU Compatibility with Z390 Boards

Associate
Hi Guys.

I want to get a new CPU.
Intel Core i7 8700, S 1151, Coffee Lake, 6 Core, 12 Thread, 3.2GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo, Coffee Lake (non K version)

Is this motherboard compatible with z390 Motherboards like

MSI MPG Intel Z390 GAMING EDGE AC WiFi 9th Gen ATX Motherboard

as I have tried to find out but am getting Mixed Results.
Some posts saying yes it is but also posts saying it is only compatible with Z370 Motherboards and am getting confused.

I want to upgrade my 4790k I7 and this is the chip I have my eyes on.

Man of Honour
Z390 will take all 8*** and 9*** series Intel cpu's. Be prepared to be disappointed though. I went from a 4790k @4.6Ghz to the 9600k I have now and it's more of a sidegrade than a upgrade. If I were you I would wait for the New AMD Ryzen 3000 launch along with the X570 motherboards (this is what I should have done but got fed up waiting).

Associate
OP
My current problem is that my I7-4790k CPU needs a new Motherboard since my USB`s are randomly shutting down by themselves and despite various re-installations I am putting it down to over use and Low bandwidth since everything I plug into them now runs USB 3 including my Oculus Rift.
And having looked for the last few months Socket 1150 is now pretty much Obsolete.
So I now have a 4 gig CPU that I wont be able to do anything with.

So my over-all Aim is to now get a CPU, Board and DDR4 bundle to replace them with.
I shall be keeping my 1060 6 Gig GPU, M.2 SSD and multiple Samsung SSD`s.
And I would prefer to stay with an I7.

I have looked at various I7 CPU`s and so far what I am looking at bundle wise will cost around £750 for CPU, Board and Maximum DDR4 RAM.
So would prefer a Motherboard that isn't going to go Obsolete within 12 months of buying it like my current Value board.

Associate
OP
Its more down to personal preference really.
All of my systems were based on AMD chipsets until they forgot how to build them and started lagging behind.
In fact I had run AMD systems for 15 years before I decided to go for an Intel.
(I was Anti-Intel until that point)
At the time I built this current system, a basic I7 4-core ran rings around their best 8-core CPU and I was so disappointed with them I instantly went over to Intel and have been there ever since.
I may venture back over to AMD eventually once they break the 5 gig mark with a Chip that doesn't require me to sell a Kidney to buy it.
You CAN still sell kidneys for 2 grand right :D

Associate
Its more down to personal preference really.
All of my systems were based on AMD chipsets until they forgot how to build them and started lagging behind.
In fact I had run AMD systems for 15 years before I decided to go for an Intel.
(I was Anti-Intel until that point)
At the time I built this current system, a basic I7 4-core ran rings around their best 8-core CPU and I was so disappointed with them I instantly went over to Intel and have been there ever since.
I may venture back over to AMD eventually once they break the 5 gig mark with a Chip that doesn't require me to sell a Kidney to buy it.
You CAN still sell kidneys for 2 grand right :D

Why focus on GHZ it's a meaningless metric. This thread makes my head hurt.

Associate
OP
Ok and back to the original Question ===>
Is it compatible?
Regardless of your personal Views of Intel, I like Intel and will be getting another one.
Just need to know if it will Fit.
If not, Which board would be best for that Type?

Associate
Yes, it's compatible.

Whether it's worth pairing a non-overclockable CPU with a Z390 board is questionable though. That's without even touching the AMD vs Intel debate.

Associate
OP
That's one of the reasons I am asking here first.
I didn't bother last time and ended up with a board that went obsolete pretty much 3 months after purchase which stopped me from just upgrading the Chip itself which is what I was intending to do initially.
Then when it came to getting a new Board I found the Socket 1150 was no longer being sold.
I7-4790 at the time only cost me like £200 as my PC Died and I needed a PC that fit my current funding at that time.
I don't do overclocking so not really fussed about that and I don't mind changing the chip to suit as long as the board wont fall off the shelf within weeks of buying it like the last one so wanted to go a bit higher spec with that item.
My main concern was that the chip I was currently going to get on different sites said yes it was and no it wasn't compatible and didn't state why.
I am still umming and arring at the 8700. The more I look the more money I want to spend on the next version up.
I can live with wasting £300 on a chip whilst I save up for a better one next year.

I have also been looking at this chip for an extra £80
Intel Core i7 9700KF Unlocked 9th Gen Desktop Processor/CPU - No iGPU

And I apologize if I sound touchy every now and again in posts. Its not intended.
Key and peele syndrome when texting lol

Last edited:
Permabanned
If you have the cash to buy a top spec board and cpu right now and you don't want to overclock buy AND. XFR will do the boosting to higher than stock clock for you. Meaning the amd system will outperform the Intel 8700.

Also the amd board will not be dead this time next week as amd will support the next get cpu.

Associate
I'll put things into perspective.

8700 vs 9700k

6 Cores @4.6 or 8 Cores at possibly 5.2

If you are doing this route, then go for 9700k straight away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

However the Ryzen 3000 are coming, they look promising and I would certainly wait for unofficial reviews until making decision.

Although so far it's only marketing hype and they have yet to live up to expectations.

Soldato
I can live with wasting £300 on a chip whilst I save up for a better one next year.
There won't be better than almost four year old 6th gen Skylake rebrandings for current Intel mobos.
So count expensive mobo into wasted sum.

Now it's Intel who forgot how to do much anything.
CPUs haven't gone forward architecturally since Skylake and only additional cores could be used to justify calling them as 7th gen.
Also Intel's manufacturing tech advance has stalled with 10nm SNAFU for as many years as architecture hasn't changed.
Best guess is desktop 10nm CPU late next year.
Ryzen 3000 computing dies are actually made on more advanced tech than Intels.

Though one thing going forward in Intels is number of holes and security patches needed.
These are the latest.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/05/spoiler_intel_processor_flaw/
https://www.pcmag.com/news/368372/new-intel-chip-flaws-can-leak-confidential-data-from-the-cpu
Whole HyperThreading is facing pressure for disabling it.

Associate
If you must waste your money on such a poor choice of cpu, then get the 9700 as 6 cores up from 4 on your old chip aint going to be a big upgrade. The 8 core will be better.

However neither is where you should be looking as both are now history with very questionable security (to say the least) and being now somewhat some distance from the performance leadership side of things.

All you need to know now is that it looks like intel no longer holds the performance/value or ... er anything crown. Spending hundreds on upgrading to a dead 6 or 8 core platform is not a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom