• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1080 Ti Mini - Loud?

Associate
Hi guys

how do I make this thing quiet?! on around 70-80% its way too loud, I thought it was the CPU but its the Gpu fans. Can I replace them or get something a lot quieter? I have a mini itx case so need something smallish.

thanks

Soldato
Depending on which case you have and how your current CPU is cooled, you could get a liquid cooler for the CPU https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...:coolingRadiatorSize:140mm&text=#rotatingText

And again the same cooling solution for GPU. Finding one that fits though is teh hard part.

Trouble with MATX is you sacrifice air flow for size.

Which case is it and have you experimented with changing exhaust vs intake, positive vs negative pressure? What case fans are you using?

Associate
OP
What should I undervolt it to?
I have a 2700x with the stock prism cooler but should be receiving a
SCYTHE SCMG-5100 MUGEN 5 today.
The case is a Riotoro Cr280 with 2 arctic p12 fans, one up front one at the rear.

Maybe I need a bigger case to help with airflow?

Soldato
You only have 2 fans in that case and it will take 5, and those fans in it are fairly cheap. 5 decent fans will cost more than that case. Unless the size of your case is important where it lives then I'd get a better, bigger case. A bigger case will help move the air as the heat from the CPU and the GPU are dumped into the case. For now I'd take the side panel off. 1x 120mm fan in and 1 x 120mm fan out wont cool a 1080ti and air cooled CPU.

Associate
It is just a loud card ... the fans are aggressive due to the relatively smaller heatsink space. Mine is the same, and have 2x 120mm fans blowing external air directly against it. I must admit, its beginning to get a little annoying now. Considering something different as a result.

Soldato
so it just replaces the fans with AIO solution? what sort of heat sinks does it need

Some people dont fit them and just rely on the 92mm fan. You also need RAM heatsinks.

I bought an aluminium heatsink off the rainforest and cut it to size for the VRM's. Bought RAM heatsinks from there too. Akasa sticky thermal pad/tape from OCUK them to stick.
It needs a bit of hands on modding approach but thats half the fun.

Associate
OP
Some people dont fit them and just rely on the 92mm fan. You also need RAM heatsinks.

I bought an aluminium heatsink off the rainforest and cut it to size for the VRM's. Bought RAM heatsinks from there too. Akasa sticky thermal pad/tape from OCUK them to stick.
It needs a bit of hands on modding approach but thats half the fun.

Cheers mate, I saw a post of someone using Pi heat sinks so ordered a kit. Got the NZXT G12 on the way too.

Just installed the SCYTHE SCMG-5100 MUGEN and already waaayyyy quieter than the stock prism one!

Associate
you watched the video? You are getting air blown directly on the VRM's and then onto the memory chips. Stock coolers need them to make contact with the HS or they would get zero cooling

Back
Top Bottom