Power usage monitoring

Associate
Hi all,

Wasn't sure if there was a better place to put this, sorry if there is!

Recently got stung by some massive electricity bills and wanted to set up monitoring for the power used by my PC setup.

If anyone has recommendations how to go about this that'd be grand. I'm assuming best bet is to grab a socket meter, but I have no experience dealing with this!

Cheers

Associate
Btw, my system idles at around 80w, but recently I saw that it idles at 180w. So I started scanning for all know viruses and stuff, turns out it was a miner. Antivirus couldn't catch it but malwerbytes removed it.

Man of Honour
A plug in power monitor is what you need plus you can use it on everything electric around the house (it's quite addictive finding out what everything consumes :D ). One of these will do the trick but you can get them cheaper on Ebay and Amazon (wasn't sure if they would be classed as competitors so I didn't link to them).

Associate
OP
A plug in power monitor is what you need plus you can use it on everything electric around the house (it's quite addictive finding out what everything consumes :D ). One of these will do the trick but you can get them cheaper on Ebay and Amazon (wasn't sure if they would be classed as competitors so I didn't link to them).

Thanks, any idea how much they can handle? I guess if its stable through one socket it should be fine but mildly wary!

Also yeah, pretty sure they get removed :)

That's neat, however want to include the monitors + other usage too, have 3 monitors and a hifi for the sound etc.

I'm mostly sure the PC isn't the actual issue, but am interested in how much power it is actually drawing, and will help if I can show it isn't the issue.

Btw, my system idles at around 80w, but recently I saw that it idles at 180w. So I started scanning for all know viruses and stuff, turns out it was a miner. Antivirus couldn't catch it but malwerbytes removed it.

Did you not see any nefarious programs running/cpu usage? I should probably run a virus scan. :D

I noticed geforce exp was doing this to my cpu while idle (bump is where I swapped to app to kill it)

Associate
Did you not see any nefarious programs running/cpu usage? I should probably run a virus scan. :D

I noticed geforce exp was doing this to my cpu while idle (bump is where I swapped to app to kill it)

Yea you would think. The thing is that several virus scanners didn't find anything. And they are programmed smart now : as soon as you open task manager - they stop ! And only reactivate if you close the task manager and let it idle for few.

That's the world we live in now.

Man of Honour
Thanks, any idea how much they can handle? I guess if its stable through one socket it should be fine but mildly wary!

I have had over 3000w through mine and it still works. That was testing the power draw for one of these electric panel radiators that we were forced to be the guinea pigs for. You haven't seen a crazy electric bill until you have had your house heated with those damn things. They were pulling massively more power than they were supposed to!! Back to computers, I have a Zalman ZM-MFC2 multifunction controller that has live power draw displayed all of the time which is handy.

Associate
OP
Well, what do you mean by a "massive bill" ?

Well, original bill was like £200 a month but gave updated readings and was reduced to £125 a month. This is for one person living alone, I don't use heating at all, I very rarely cook or even heat up food as I work nights and am pretty bad for ordering food :(. Also don't even have a kettle or microwave (been in limbo waiting for a new flatmate to take the other room). That means the only things drawing electricity are my fridge which is less than one year old, my pc, the boiler and a heated tower rack. In my last house I don't think our elec bill ever hit £100 even with 3 gamers in the house, and we used to play together 5 nights a week or so. Hell, even the lights in this house are mostly LED.

So I knew power draw in this flat was high for whatever reason due to old resident being a friend, but I swapped provider after moving in to go with a much cheaper one, this bill I'm dealing with is from old provider. That said, when updating meters I noticed this graph on the new ones website in my account area.
ac10d204b49905fd5dc906dabfccf8a5.png

They're investigating, but I'm trying to do what I can to prove the issue isn't with what I'm doing/using.

Yea you would think. The thing is that several virus scanners didn't find anything. And they are programmed smart now : as soon as you open task manager - they stop ! And only reactivate if you close the task manager and let it idle for few.

That's the world we live in now.

Thought that might be the case, howd you remove it?

I have had over 3000w through mine and it still works. That was testing the power draw for one of these electric panel radiators that we were forced to be the guinea pigs for. You haven't seen a crazy electric bill until you have had your house heated with those damn things. They were pulling massively more power than they were supposed to!! Back to computers, I have a Zalman ZM-MFC2 multifunction controller that has live power draw displayed all of the time which is handy.

Thats pretty neat, however like i said I do want to see power draw from the whole set up, have a 2560x1440 144hz 28" and 2 24" 1920x1200 monitors hooked up etc. Thanks for the info on that device, will order one, or 2!

Soldato
Over 4 times the national average consumption for a single guy in a flat? Yeah, your pc is not the issue there. Get a meter on all your white goods, check your heating if its electric then make sure you don't have an immersion heater on 24/7 etc. That's so far out that I wouldnt rule out somebody tapping in to your mains ...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah, the heating is electric and all off at the wall, never been used by me. The flat was fully renovated ~ 2 years ago, prior to that it was derelict I'm pretty sure, so electrics should mostly be new.

Associate
OP
Now you mention it - this is his neighbour on the right:

cHs8Yoo.jpg

Haha no, I was tempted to ask someone who did that to see how it compares!

Flats above a club, where I work, so I asked the GM if power bill dropped after flat renovated..

Anyhow, I think its a dodgy meter, or faulty boiler/towel rack

Back
Top Bottom