MacBook 2019 thread

Soldato
Apparently the thermals are improved due to better TIM and some clever undervolting that occurs in MacOS.

If you run a different OS (e.g. bootcamp), then you'll see throttling and higher temps.

Still an impressive improvement in thermal performance compared to last gen.

Soldato
Apparently the thermals are improved due to better TIM and some clever undervolting that occurs in MacOS.

If you run a different OS (e.g. bootcamp), then you'll see throttling and higher temps.

Still an impressive improvement in thermal performance compared to last gen.

Correct, funny how apple got bored of waiting on intel and just started messing with the cpu power themselves! lol

Soldato
OP
Associate
I wish they'd do away with the touch bar or make it an option to not have it on the higher spec machines.

I am actually using it more and more on my updated work Mac. Specifically the Mail recipient suggestions for emails, I've setup some iTerm shortcuts and various options for apps.

I can safely say I get way more use out of it than I would Function keys.

Soldato
Just for anyone that maybe considering purchasing the MacBook Air 2019 with TrueTone display.

If you’re not bothered about TrueTone, the MacBook Air 2018 has been added to the refurb store with savings of £150 or £180 depending on spec.

Soldato
Just looked at the Air pricing and I’m just baffled how Apple can justify:

£200 to go from a 128gb ssd to 256gb ssd when a 1tb NVME drive can be had for under £150.

£180 to go from 8gb to 16gb RAM

The price really seriously pushing it for the hardware especially when they are skimping so much on the RAM and storage and asking so much for upgrades.

I could probably swallow £1,100 for the base machine if it had 16gb Ram and at least 256gb SSD but that spec is £1,500 :eek: and it’s still just a dual core CPU.

I’m certainly beating the same old drum but this is getting silly.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Just looked at the Air pricing and I’m just baffled how Apple can justify:

£200 to go from a 128gb ssd to 256gb ssd when a 1tb NVME drive can be had for under £150.

£180 to go from 8gb to 16gb RAM

The price really seriously pushing it for the hardware especially when they are skimping so much on the RAM and storage and asking so much for upgrades.

I could probably swallow £1,100 for the base machine if it had 16gb Ram and at least 256gb SSD but that spec is £1,500 :eek: and it’s still just a dual core CPU.

I’m certainly beating the same old drum but this is getting silly.

Yea it's pretty crazy, but at least the resale values are pretty decent.

Soldato
That’s true, I looked at the new 13” MBPs after I posted. I’m more lost as to why the Air even exists now. For an extra £200 you get a quad core, Touch Bar in a slightly thicker at one end enclosure.

Really the low end 13” MBP should be positioned where the Air is.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The new 13" MBP base spec does seem like a no brainer compared to the Air. I'm just not sure how well a 1.4Ghz Quad will perform, that's a pretty low base speed.

Associate
The new 13" MBP base spec does seem like a no brainer compared to the Air. I'm just not sure how well a 1.4Ghz Quad will perform, that's a pretty low base speed.

That's Apple's core business model though isn't it - Beautiful pretty machines, dated low specs, high price....

1.6GHz dual core
8GB DDR3
120GB SSD

.............£1099!!! Just wow :(

Soldato
Spotted that Apple are selling the base 2018 Air for £850, refurb. What's performance like on them? I'm currently running a base early 2011 pro (i5, 4GB ram, although I inserted an SSD) so assume I'd notice some improvement, but to what extent?

Presumably it can run things like Football Manager? Just nothing very graphical? How is it in day to day use?

Soldato
I thought the 2018 Air was a pain in the backside to use, and returned it. You can see my run through of it here.

Yeah, you're probably right. Microsoft have their 256gb Surface Laptop 2 for £950 at the moment, tempted by that but no USB C is frustrating (as is Windows). Think I may continue the waiting game, or just bite the bullet and get the new base MBP (but 128gb is gallingly low for that price)

Back
Top Bottom