The term Social Influencer is starting to get truly annoying!

Soldato
Social influencers, a self appointed title used by people to freeload on hotel stays, trips abroad and getting free stuff because you might post something about it on IG.

Haha so true.

I follow a cruise captain and he posted a few months ago touring some 20 something quite good looking women around his ship posting selfies with comments saying "chilling with influencer Ms.xxxx" I was curious as it was the first time I had read this title, the women had 58 twitter followers :)

Now to get on the Bridge you usually have to buy a tour the ship package costing upwards of 60€.

I presume these women managed to blag their way on to the Bridge via some sort of chat with some officer. :)

Good on them but they did appear like Freddie says.

Associate
I actually got a free stay for two nights at a five star hotel in the Philippines, last December. My partner works for an "influencer" who told the hotel that we'd work on her behalf (which we did but it was hardly work in my opinion). The stay would have cost about £1000 for the two nights if we paid (including the cost of the free meals we had). As far as I know, "influencers" can make a LOT of money. Last I heard, my partners boss earned between £15,000 & £20,000 per month. That can of course vary widely from month to month. It can actually be hard work too as it seems as though "influencers" have to work seven days per week (as does my partner). As someone else has stated, it can be depressing. My partners bosses husband is currently in hospital. They think he is suffering from depression. Travelling a lot and meeting the deadlines of clients can take it's toll.

Caporegime
10,000 is still a bit meh. That isn't a lot of people really and these kind of people probably use those companies which sell followers/likes :p

Yup, I've got friends who have no interest in being influencers with that amount and that is what prompts the backlash... someone with 10k followers or some other 5 figure amount and tries to get products/services worth thousands out of small businesses. Small business owner tells them where to go (and posts to social media) and the influencer wannabe gets upset.

People with several hundred thousand or millions of followers will get plenty of people approaching them!

I follow a cruise captain and he posted a few months ago touring some 20 something quite good looking women around his ship posting selfies with comments saying "chilling with influencer Ms.xxxx" I was curious as it was the first time I had read this title, the women had 58 twitter followers :)

Now to get on the Bridge you usually have to buy a tour the ship package costing upwards of 60€.

I presume these women managed to blag their way on to the Bridge via some sort of chat with some officer. :)

Be officer on cruise ship away from wife/partner for several weeks... bunch of hot young girls want to hang out in the bridge. I don't think it needed much chat :D

Soldato
Its such trash isn't it what instagram and youtube etc have become.

People are literally flat out retarded to fall for this **** and that story about the planned engagement is just PEAK 2019.

Have you seen that Olay advert they run on ITV?
Makes me want to burn society and start all over.....

Soldato
I quite like a look at 'choosingbeggars' on Reddit, and the amount of times you see these 'influencers' begging, is astounding - but fair play to the people they contact; some reply back and offer discount codes and will reward the 'influencer' with free stuff, providing they are able to get X amount of sales - which typically shuts the beggar down :D

Sadly, these days, people believe that being a Streamer, Youtuber, Blogger, Insta(erm grammer?) or Influencer is actually a long-term career. Very few people can actually make a decent go of these things, as thankfully the 'market' is saturated by fellow narcissistic ****s.

Influencer = a self-obsessed beggar.

Last edited:
Soldato
The days of being a youtube star or "influencer" are passing tbh. Most of the famous ones with millions of viewers got in early, or have something worth following (e.g. Colin Furze).

There are way to many trying it on now and the fact there are so many means they aren't going to get noticed, luckily.

Associate
Sadly, these days, people believe that being a Streamer, Youtuber, Blogger, Insta(erm grammer?) or Influencer is actually a long-term career. Very few people can actually make a decent go of these things, as thankfully the 'market' is saturated by fellow narcissistic ****s.

I'm interested in how long the successful ones can maintain it as a career, ultimately it's mainly young audiences they are 'influencing', what happens when the influencer and their audience grow up? I can't imagine a bunch of 16 year olds being influenced by someone their parents age... none of their original fans are going to care about 'influencing' once they get to middle age either.

Soldato
I'm interested in how long the successful ones can maintain it as a career, ultimately it's mainly young audiences they are 'influencing', what happens when the influencer and their audience grow up? I can't imagine a bunch of 16 year olds being influenced by someone their parents age... none of their original fans are going to care about 'influencing' once they get to middle age either.

A few years at a guess, definitely less than a decade I expect. As someone pointed out previously, there is a never ending supply of people ready to jump into their seat, so the current darlings of this made up business, eventually get pushed into obscurity - either by the new blood or just because their own fanbase simply grows up and moves on.

I'd expect that the ones who did make it, but eventually fizzled out, would end up either running their own marketing company - or creating some sort of coaching scam for the new wannabe influencers.

Soldato

You could say the same about any celeb or musician really although if the last few years in the music / film industry have proven anything is that people love nostalgia. Perhaps having old bands reforming or old films being remade make us feel younger or something.

So yeah they might struggle to attract the younger viewers but their current viewers are maturing at the same rate

Permabanned
That is not surprising in the least. Look at the Man City boys recently flying in a bunch of Italian instagram models for a party after a game. Pretty sure Craiglist banned sex worker adverts, and Instagram is a better place to sell your product than a business card in a phone booth in the red light district.

Soldato
It seems to be dumb idiots telling us what to do. So of course they are encouraged by the establishment.

There was an article a couple of months ago were 3 of these people were advertising a product that contained poison!

It's sad how society as ended up like this. But its no mystery. The media have been promoting idiots since the end of the 1990's and now the idiot level as become normal.

Caporegime
Associate
I actually got a free stay for two nights at a five star hotel in the Philippines, last December. My partner works for an "influencer" who told the hotel that we'd work on her behalf (which we did but it was hardly work in my opinion). The stay would have cost about £1000 for the two nights if we paid (including the cost of the free meals we had). As far as I know, "influencers" can make a LOT of money. Last I heard, my partners boss earned between £15,000 & £20,000 per month. That can of course vary widely from month to month. It can actually be hard work too as it seems as though "influencers" have to work seven days per week (as does my partner). As someone else has stated, it can be depressing. My partners bosses husband is currently in hospital. They think he is suffering from depression. Travelling a lot and meeting the deadlines of clients can take it's toll.

Edit: Misread lol

Soldato
It was to highlight that they put their name to any thing for money without really doing any research. It was a satirical show, almost like a modern day Brass eye episode.

It shows how stupid these celebrities are. I remember the Brass eye episode. I think it was Gary Lineker that was appealing for donations because he said an elephant had its trunk stuck up its bottom?

I wonder how many people look up to these 'social influencers', or is it just just people behind the scenes jumping on anything to promote their own wares?

It's satirical but that doesn't invalidate the findings, that the celebrities involved are a bunch of thick greedy idiots that would promote anything.

Back
Top Bottom