57 plate Audi A3 purchase, anything to look out for?

Soldato
Its not actually for me, my younger brother (who is pretty clueless with cars) is going to look at one probably this weekend.

I am going to go with him, I know a little about cars (certainly no mechanic) but I know the basics to check.

This car is an Audi A3 spec ed in black, 57 plate, 3dr, 1.6 petrol (not turbocharged) with only 34k miles.

The asking price is 3.5k.

Anything specific to watch out for? The dealer claims the timing belt has been replaced, I guess due to age. I know its an older car but given the low mileage and (one hopes) varly simple petrol engine, might be a good one? Only 1 previous owner apparently.

Anything specific to watch out/look for on these?

Man of Honour
If you are a clueless with cars why spend 3500 quid on a 12 year old bottom of the range Audi?

Seems like a really silly purchase.

Associate
The dealer 'claiming' the timing belt has been changed would make me walk away. You want to know for certain it has been changed.

Surely a Fiesta/Polo/Focus/Golf would be a better idea. A base model 1.6 12 year old A3 is not going to be a pleasant drive.

And for the sake of £5-10 do your own HPI check on whatever he decides to buy.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't given any thought to the deal aspect of it, more reliability, how good the car is in general and any mechanical nasties to look for. I will of course check the paperwork with regards to the timing belt.

That being said I did have a quick look through auto trader just now and I cannot seem to see any Fiesta or Focus that are significantly newer for the same money. A few 2009, some 2010 generally higher mileage also.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Follow the advice given above. A 2007 1.6 A3 was a bit crap back in 2007, let alone now..

Soldato
I had enough issues with a 4 year old A3. A 12 year old one sounds like a ballache just to drive around in an apparent "premium" car.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't given any thought to the deal aspect of it, more reliability, how good the car is in general and any mechanical nasties to look for. I will of course check the paperwork with regards to the timing belt.

That being said I did have a quick look through auto trader just now and I cannot seem to see any Fiesta or Focus that are significantly newer for the same money. A few 2009, some 2010 generally higher mileage also.

If your bro really wants an audi badge then he needs to multiply his budget by at least 4-5

otherwise - toyota / civic / honda / focus

Associate
First thing, unless it's sitting on 40k miles, £3500 well over priced.

secondly, the engine isn't the best... but just check there is no misfiring etc.

make sure it drives well, pulls well in all gears and doesn't shudder... no blue tinted smoke coming out the exhaust.

No heavy knocks and bangs.

p.s your paying £1000-£1500 just for it to have 4 rings, VW Golf good alternative. I'd also be looking towards the 2.0TDI BKD engine.

Soldato
OP
The examples listed above are much higher mileage, the focus for example with 85k, is a few hundred more cash price to start with, and if the timing belt on that hasnt been done recently add what, £300 on that also. And reading engine change, deisel, no thanks....

I am not in any way shape or form saying the Audi is a perfect car on a perfect deal, but my brother is ideally after something low mileage, less than 50k, ideally around 30k. He is not bothered about it being an Audi. Anything smallish like that, 1.4 petrol or above, no desiels ideally nothing turbocharged. But I am having a job finding things on this price range with the low mileages.

I am also of the opinion (to a point) that mileage > age - this has certainly been my expirience over the years with all 3 previous cars I have had, being older but low mileage and all 3 I got a lot of use out.

Soldato
The timing chains on most engines don't need changing much at all. Probably well over 100k miles.

That is/was one of the VAG engine issues. The chain doesn't get enough lubrication, stretches, knocks the timing off and grenades the engine. Vorsprung Durch Technik...

Last edited:
Don
Low mileage doesn't guarantee a reliable car.

Having had an '07 A3 (bought approved at 4 years old), by the time I got rid of it (after 4 years) I had spent thousands on it, and got very familiar with the coffee the Audi dealership served.

Honestly the least reliable car I've owned (currently in a focus that over 4 years has needed almost nothing apart from the usual servicing, tyres and brakes)

Id rather have a higher mileage, younger focus like the above than a dog of an old Audi.

Back
Top Bottom