• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Associate
Dice patched the hell out of the raytracing on BFV a while back. Much better performance since. Shadow of the Tomb Raider shadows were never too intensive. Metro Exodus lighting was the toughest after BFV got patched and is still doable

Soldato
So, seems things are much clearer now...

As someone who’s building an entirely new build, and so does need to buy a current gen GPU:-

The two Navi cards coming out soon do not compete at the high end.
2080 Ti is still poor value for money.
The 2070 Super appears to be the best value for money.
The 2080 Super is the move if you’re going for high end but unwilling to fork out over a grand for a GPU...

Right?

I’m pretty set on the 2080 Super, but acutely aware that I’m both thick and generally ill informed, so feel free to correct me!

Permabanned
So, seems things are much clearer now...

As someone who’s building an entirely new build, and so does need to buy a current gen GPU:-

The two Navi cards coming out soon do not compete at the high end.
2080 Ti is still poor value for money.
The 2070 Super appears to be the best value for money.
The 2080 Super is the move if you’re going for high end but unwilling to fork out over a grand for a GPU...

Right?

I’m pretty set on the 2080 Super, but acutely aware that I’m both thick and generally ill informed, so feel free to correct me!

Yea the 2070s seems the pick but still lacks major horsepower for Witcher 3 we are still at the 60fps barrier at 4k sigh. So that would hint the 2070s is the best bang but we do not know how the 2080s performs either.

It may when highly clocked equal the 2080ti. But this i assume would be 2x8pin 3 fan versions it has a max thermal of 81c.

Permabanned
Possible but highly unlikely, IMO. Nvidia would rather you bought the more expensive card.

8 versus 11 gigabyte of memory and higher CUDA will still be a selling point. We will have to see the 2080 super is not the same as the ti where the 2070s is the same die as the 2080. It will be close by the time the Lightings etc arrive the 2080Ti Super will be ready. They are probably stockpiling them right now.

Soldato
Any super 2080ti is just a rebranded Titan RTX.

But it makes sense to launch it - 10% faster and drop the normal 2080ti price

I reckon they’ll do at the EOL, like a swan song at the end of 2019 just before 7nm arrives

Permabanned
Do we have an ETA on the 2080 Super?

---

Gosh I nearly bought a Ryzen 3800x which I really didn't need. Need to not be tempted by the 2080 super either! I want to wait it out for the 3000 series.

26th? I am going to wait and see what price first though and either Gigabyte Aorus or Zotac AMP. I said my goodbyes when the 1080 broke so am commited to no gpu until August 3rd. I will probably install it that weekend IF there is stock and no gouging. :)

Associate
Eagerly waiting to see how the 2080 super plays out, I recently upgraded my system from a 1st gen Lynnfield CPU to a 9900k but I'm still using my old 1060 because the 2xxx series wasn't great value at the time...

Soldato
My concerns are the following:

1. The main feature of the 2000 series RTX isn't really ready yet on the current gen cards. We need more power ideally to enjoy it at high fps. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. 7nm is coming next right?

3. PCI-E 4 has just launched. We have no idea if the next gen will utilize this bandwidth.

4. I set a target of April 2020 (Cyberpunk 2077) to get a new GPU so I can enjoy the game. I'm not talking spending 1k but whatever I need to get a good experience at 1440p.

5. The jump from a 1080 to a 2080 or Super card is it really enough? It's like the jump from a 1080 to 1080ti around 30%. Not convinced that's a large enough increase for the money.

Last edited:
Soldato
26th? I am going to wait and see what price first though and either Gigabyte Aorus or Zotac AMP. I said my goodbyes when the 1080 broke so am commited to no gpu until August 3rd. I will probably install it that weekend IF there is stock and no gouging. :)

Well we know it's around £650 as that's the price Nvidia have them at on the official website.

Soldato
Dice patched the hell out of the raytracing on BFV a while back. Much better performance since. Shadow of the Tomb Raider shadows were never too intensive. Metro Exodus lighting was the toughest after BFV got patched and is still doable

They improved performance by further cutting quality and removing some objects from being Ray traced or from a scene entirely.

Even then the RT is still low quality (even at ultra) Turing just doesn't have the hardware for a high detailed Ray tracer. The Cyberpunk demo at E3 ran on a titan RTX at 1080p30 to get teh quality they showed. And there is only so much optimising you can do with Ray tracing to reduce teh computational load before you start greatly compromising quality.

Man of Honour
Even then the RT is still low quality (even at ultra) Turing just doesn't have the hardware for a high detailed Ray tracer. The Cyberpunk demo at E3 ran on a titan RTX at 1080p30 to get teh quality they showed. And there is only so much optimising you can do with Ray tracing to reduce teh computational load before you start greatly compromising quality.

I dunno if it is the same one as used in BF V but the denoiser used in Quake 2 RTX does quite an impressive job of mimicking a far higher ray count than is possible - Turing might struggle but I think next generation hardware will do fine.

Soldato
I dunno if it is the same one as used in BF V but the denoiser used in Quake 2 RTX does quite an impressive job of mimicking a far higher ray count than is possible - Turing might struggle but I think next generation hardware will do fine.

I don't have any doubts with next gen and beyond having superior RT compared to a 2080Ti, which is what we need for just a base good implementation of RT.
Also quake RTX isn't actually performing ray tracing, its using the more expensive Path tracing, which is more physically correct. But it can only do it due to how simple the scenes and geometry are.

Man of Honour
Also quake RTX isn't actually performing ray tracing, its using the more expensive Path tracing, which is more physically correct. But it can only do it due to how simple the scenes and geometry are.

Doing a good approximation of a higher quality ray tracer though using path tracing and the denoiser - Quake 2 is using it for more than just reflections - all lights and global illuminations use it as well as having caustic approximation though scattered/indirect light bounces seem to be highly constrained compared to a ray tracer - it doesn't seem particularly troubled by scene complexity or geometry I've been messing about with some custom maps and increasing scene complexity significantly beyond the stock maps has less than 1% performance impact.

Back
Top Bottom