Being obese causes cancer but...

Soldato
Education is what's needed. There are people among us who believe a salad is healthy.. when paired with a dollop of full fat mayonnaise.

Cooking and nutrition needs to be more prominent in schools along with finance classes.

Soldato
OP
You can't tax the poor.l which is where that would occur the most.

Why ?

Education ? You can't educate the stupid
Compulsory visits would help but that puts more strain on NHS especially with surgeries struggling to meet demand already, without adding more demand which this would do

China has it right with their one birth policy as clearly there's poor people breeding like rabbits who can't look after one child let alone the 10 they've managed to spawn

Soldato
Education is what's needed. There are people among us who believe a salad is healthy.. when paired with a dollop of full fat mayonnaise.

Cooking and nutrition needs to be more prominent in schools along with finance classes.

Exactly and education is free. Especially with the Internet so easy to access now.

Soldato

Totally agree about education. Instead of having advertising everywhere in our faces these days maybe some should be educational rather than trying to sell **** people don't really need :). Maybe 10% of ads are educational or something, healthy food, general health, exercise tips etc.
I think many know the foods they eat are unhealthy - probably more than people realise. They simply choose to eat it (tastes nice eh?).
Parents need to do their bit too. I overheard a child saying something about sausages in the supermarket the other day and their dad said they weren't good for her and they walked on by - exactly how it should be :).

Caporegime
But the obesity is down to the individual.

Yeah but it's not unethical for that individual to then accept medical treatment on the NHS when they have been taxed to the hilt on their income.

You can't have your cake and eat it, i.e. impose an NHS that treats everyone's medical conditions but then imposes additional fees or taxes for anyone that doesn't live the perfect government approved lifestyle. That is basically a pseudo-insurance system.

Caporegime
Yeah but it's not unethical for that individual to then accept medical treatment on the NHS when they have been taxed to the hilt on their income.

You can't have your cake and eat it, i.e. impose an NHS that treats everyone's medical conditions but then imposes additional fees or taxes for anyone that doesn't live the perfect government approved lifestyle. That is basically a pseudo-insurance system.

But we're talking about how it's disproportionately the poor that are obese - they aren't taxed to the hilt.

Soldato
Here in the US I think it's totally ignorant to blame obesity on the individual.

/cool story bro

I've driven about 500 miles today, I stopped off the i40 at a place in New Mexico called "Gallup" to gas up and get dinner because I was starving. I drove around for about 25 minutes looking for a sandwich, the best I could find was something 2x thicker than my arm (which isn't thin at all) and was about as good as eating 2x big mac meals, so I drove round and round going past endless fast food joints, until I ended up at Sizzlers where I ate a mediocre steak.

Literally every single person I saw in Gallup was obese, the adults, the kids everybody, and it's completely obvious why - there's literally nothing other than fast food to eat, the place is absolutely saturated with it. From one end of the town to the other, and this is typical of so many small US towns.

To me it seems crazy to blame the individual, you build an environment like that, put people in it - when they start using the environment that's been created for them (eating at these places) they get obese and sick. Then so quickly - we point the finger and start blaming them for having no self control, 'if only they'd eat less or be more healthy' and completely ignore the reality of the environment these people are living in.

Nobody stands a chance of being healthy in an environment like that, and I go back home and I see us converting our high streets and other places into junk-food hotspots and nobody seems to even notice it's happening, the results of it are entirely predictable, entirely obvious and seemingly almost totally unstoppable.

Soldato
Here in the US I think it's totally ignorant to blame obesity on the individual.

/cool story bro

I've driven about 500 miles today, I stopped off the i40 at a place in New Mexico called "Gallup" to gas up and get dinner because I was starving. I drove around for about 25 minutes looking for a sandwich, the best I could find was something 2x thicker than my arm (which isn't thin at all) and was about as good as eating 2x big mac meals, so I drove round and round going past endless fast food joints, until I ended up at Sizzlers where I ate a mediocre steak.

Literally every single person I saw in Gallup was obese, the adults, the kids everybody, and it's completely obvious why - there's literally nothing other than fast food to eat, the place is absolutely saturated with it. From one end of the town to the other, and this is typical of so many small US towns.

To me it seems crazy to blame the individual, you build an environment like that, put people in it - when they start using the environment that's been created for them (eating at these places) they get obese and sick. Then so quickly - we point the finger and start blaming them for having no self control, 'if only they'd eat less or be more healthy' and completely ignore the reality of the environment these people are living in.

Nobody stands a chance of being healthy in an environment like that, and I go back home and I see us converting our high streets and other places into junk-food hotspots and nobody seems to even notice it's happening, the results of it are entirely predictable, entirely obvious and seemingly almost totally unstoppable.
You started off with the problem
you driven 500 miles today
How many miles did you walk, jog, run or ride a bicycle that day ?

Caporegime
I wish more people would embrace cycling as a way of maintaning health.

In the country/off road maybe. Not sure cycling behind cars and breathing in exhaust fumes for hours is that healthy in all honesty.

I always find recreational cycling on busy roads a bizarre thing to do, especially in an effort to get healthy.

You only have to walk alongside a busy road to realise how bad the pollution is and how much crap you are breathing in.

Soldato

/cool story bro

Samething where I am from in the UK, every corner there is a Dixie Chicken, Fried Chicken dot com, Super Duper Fried Chicken but we 3 big parks, super markets, mini markets and a 24 hour gym.

There are alternatives so no excuse for people in that area to get fat but many are including school children.

Lack of education and right out laziness.

Associate
When they drop the BMI threshold for obesity again how many of you will be?

People have different genetics, ages , health issues etc. There are about 100 factors to take into account according to British medical research.

It's just another way to judge people & ostracize people. It was smokers, now it's weight, next it will be petrol/diesel drivers.

I'm overweight, do I care? No. Do I cost the NHS more? No.

Worry about yourself. Stop judging.

Back
Top Bottom