• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX5700 and RX5700XT review thread

Soldato
Still unbelievably overpriced for a mid range card
The 5700 is actually sitting at above the 1080 and Vega64 performance wise at £330~£350 price point:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700/28.html

If AMD decide to release a lower end cards (which we know AMD would gladly do base on pass history) such as:

5600XT at £250~£270 price point, its performance will likely to be at around between 1070ti up to 1080 level, against the 1660Ti that only has 1070 level performance and 2GB less vram;

5600 at £180~£220 price point, they could have a 5600 with performance of 1070/Vega 56 level, which would be miles better than the RX580 8GB and the 1060 6GB that we were still stuck with till not that not ago

Overall 30%~70% performance uplift at this price segment would definitely nothing to sniff at!

Caporegime
The cheapest (current) 2070 Super is only on average 5% (1080p,1440p) - 7% (2160p) better for 25% the cost of the 5700XT, not accounting for inevitable improved drivers from AMD... The 5700XT a clear winner from a purely insular point of view against he competition, whether or not poor RTX perf. is worth the extra 18% is up to the consumer really.

Last edited:
Soldato
The cheapest (current) 2070 Super is only on average 5% (1080p,1440p) - 7% (2160p) better for 25% the cost of the 5700XT, not accounting for inevitable improved drivers from AMD... The 5700XT a clear winner from a purely insular point of view against he competition, whether or not poor RTX perf. is worth the extra 18% is up to the consumer really.

I don't think just drivers are the thing to be looking at here.
We still not had a game tested with RDNA at its core development. Borderlands 3 is going to be a really good showcase for Navi.

Soldato
Naming is irrelevant and pricing is where it's at. They are clearly mid to high tier cards. That's fine too and AMD/Nvidia trade blows. It depends how you rate their drivers and features really on which to go for.

At moment the 5700XT for me would be right bang for buck for both 1080 144hz & 1440 60hz. After that you should probably jump significantly to 2080 if you want to aim for 1440 144hz or 4k at moment or 1080 with Ray trace (seems pointless on lower models at this time)
This won't be the only navi card. That's the point you are missing.
5800 is rumored to be announced by end of year. And I'm sure there will be at least 2 card variants.
5900 is also rumored but nothing mentioned on a date yet.
Based on that and AMD prior history the 5700 is a low end moniker.

Soldato
Looks like there are problems with Nvidia drivers and Zen2.
jzobvriyj9931.png

Caporegime
This won't be the only navi card. That's the point you are missing.
5800 is rumored to be announced by end of year. And I'm sure there will be at least 2 card variants.
5900 is also rumored but nothing mentioned on a date yet.
Based on that and AMD prior history the 5700 is a low end moniker.

How was he missing that?
No one's missing the fact that there's a big Navi due. It however is AWOL right now.

I have said *multiple* times that considering this is a mid range GPU the performance is good.

But because of the TDP it's a mid range GPU ran pretty close to the edge.

Soldato
Looks like there are problems with Nvidia drivers and Zen2.
jzobvriyj9931.png

I'm not surprised one bit. And I'm sure they will take their sweet time fixing it to.
Case in point:
Nvidia claims to have fixed a bug that could see 50% wiped off the Threadripper 2990WX's performance in games. It was certainly a big issue with journalists at the time as it meant the CPU was limited to a niche set of tasks, with it performing worse than cheaper CPUs with fewer cores in games and some other applications.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...threadripper-gaming-performance/#4b01cee5201e

Soldato
So the 5700XT costs the same as an RTX 2060 Super but destorys that card and the OG 2070 and is sometimes on par with 2070 Super.

That's pretty decent surely.

If anything, with better cooling and driver improvements, it will start to catch up to the 2070 super more often than not.
They used the GCN ISA with RDNA so they could reuse a lot of optimised GCN code to give them a good start, but no doubt they can still tweak things to make it better.

Soldato
If anything, with better cooling and driver improvements, it will start to catch up to the 2070 super more often than not.
They used the GCN ISA with RDNA so they could reuse a lot of optimised GCN code to give them a good start, but no doubt they can still tweak things to make it better.
I've heard that these drivers don't fully utilize RDNA arch yet. If that's true then we might see a pretty noticeable bump in performance once they do. But as it stands right now any Aftermarket 3 fan cooler would allow you to max out clocks (at least on the 5700).

Last edited:
Soldato
How was he missing that?
No one's missing the fact that there's a big Navi due. It however is AWOL right now.

I have said *multiple* times that considering this is a mid range GPU the performance is good.

But because of the TDP it's a mid range GPU ran pretty close to the edge.

People have already stuck Air coolers from various past AMD cards, apparently the hole placing is very similar to that of Hawaii's. So they stuck 290 and 390X coolers on it. taking the temps to a stable 67C.
It also boosted the clocks and made them more stable.

Back
Top Bottom