• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from i7 2600k?

Associate
I know there are a lot of threads swinging around about upgrades in light of the new AMD chips and I've been holding off upgrading awaiting this.

My current chip has been in the system for about 7 years now and has done me very well, it's been overclocked on water since I got it and is still running fine today. I'm running a 1080FE as my GFX card along with a few SSDs and 16gb ram.

Budget isn't really a concern, I just want a good and fast system to last me for another good number of years.

My plan is to only change the CPU, MOBO and RAM and keep running with the 1080.

What does everyone think/recommend?

Associate
But with a water cooler shouldn't be noisy anyway?

If you're looking to the future then get a top end chip. Either a 9900k or 3900x as they're both highly respected, the 3900x has newer platform options and a potential for the zen refresh to apply in 2020 so that's my preference, epeen value as well.

Associate
Yes I'm thinking the 3900X.

Is it worth holding for the 3950X though?
If you've held out this long and you're just looking to futureproof, then its worth holding out until the 3950x if its in budget, considering the 3950x is supposed to have a better boost, suggesting that they are binned better, therefore will perform better in gaming. I can't see the extra 4 cores making a difference for several years but you never know.

For gaming at least you'd notice more of an improvement from a GPU upgrade, although you may find with the CPU upgrade better minimums and a smoother gaming experience overall with the CPU upgrade.

Associate
OP
If you've held out this long and you're just looking to futureproof, then its worth holding out until the 3950x if its in budget, considering the 3950x is supposed to have a better boost, suggesting that they are binned better, therefore will perform better in gaming. I can't see the extra 4 cores making a difference for several years but you never know.

For gaming at least you'd notice more of an improvement from a GPU upgrade, although you may find with the CPU upgrade better minimums and a smoother gaming experience overall with the CPU upgrade.

But without a CPU upgrade surely that will throttle it? I'm pretty sure my 1080 is being throttled by my cpu now...

Associate
Whilst I'm upgrading (which I don't do every often) I may as well go for the best really.

Saying that, the 3950X is quite a bit more than a 3900X...

I am in the same boat. I may wait to see how the 3950x performs but I am pretty sure that would be waste. I just wish the 3900x had a bit more oc headroom

Associate
Same boat here, going from an OC 2600K to a 3700X. This is for sibelius work, audio recording and gaming/streaming, paired with a vega 56. I'm also going to an nvme m2 drive. If there's anything specific you want me to check I'll do that if I can, CPU is due to arrive Monday (stupid 12th celebrations).

Associate
OP
Same boat here, going from an OC 2600K to a 3700X. This is for sibelius work, audio recording and gaming/streaming, paired with a vega 56. I'm also going to an nvme m2 drive. If there's anything specific you want me to check I'll do that if I can, CPU is due to arrive Monday (stupid 12th celebrations).

It would be cool to see benchmark on your old vs. new.

Back
Top Bottom