Which 8 pack memory for 3900x on x570 board?

Man of Honour
This stuff just works..... Even from Ryzen 1xxx from day one.....
that's a bit disingenuous...yes b-die did work most of the time, but it didn't 'just work'. a cursory glance at the 8-pack b-die ram thread would be proof enough. it was all very IMC dependent, and some unlucky sod's ryzen IMCs couldn't run the ram even at 3200mhz.

and your questioning why it may be appropriate to buy bullet proof RAM??
micron e-die are on the QVL list for all the motherboards

OcUK Staff
Dear me now your on about IMC.... I mean how many CPUs did you test roughly??? Tamzzy come on seriously... we sold 6000+ of these kits mainly to AMD users the RMA rate is almost zero.. Of Course the IMC has to be able to do it but thats with any CPU.... Zen2 IMC is great Fabric is not!!! But still can run on a divider....You want to save peanuts that is completely fine....

How many of these CPUs, MBs and RAM combinations did you test???? Yourself???

QVL is utter none-sense... No vendor updates with Bios and Agesa changes so its already not valid for most....

Man of Honour
Of Course the IMC has to be able to do it but thats with any CPU....
This stuff just works.....
see the irony?

How many of these CPUs, MBs and RAM combinations did you test???? Yourself???
clearly, you have tested more than i have...or i should hope so, since it is your job.
my point is that cheaper stuff does not necessarily = bad. the general tone of your posts so far = if you don't buy 8pack b-die ram, you're a toe-rag. which clearly isn't true at all.
as i've said, some of us mere commoners do look at the value side of the equation :)

Caporegime
The best thing for customer service is giving them the best information, not telling them that spending more is the only sensible option just because.

Also CPU clocking higher won't make higher memory speeds faster.

The fabric on Zen 2 is fine, using a divider lets you have higher memory speed, but only a very very small percentage of applications are actually faster >3733Mhz with higher latency memory and higher latency system even with 4400Mhz cl18, 95% of applications are faster at 3600Mhz cl16 with a 1:1 divider. Gaining a couple hundred mhz in clock speeds won't suddenly make the 4400Mhz option faster, it's slower for a reason, it's slower regardless of CPU clock speed.

I take my custom where I get great advice, not blindly told to buy the most expensive thing for no reason.
b-die memory on Zen 1 made a noticeable difference, on Zen 2 it simply does not. Even before b-die memory was great when it wasn't being gouged to hell and back, the further it got gouged the less worthwhile it was getting it and now, it's not worth it at all for a Zen 2 system. I don't need 32GB of memory but I'd buy double the e die memory before I'd throw money away on b-die right now.

I'm all for buying the fastest system possible, but that doesn't mean I'll just pee away money on said system that makes no difference to performance.

OcUK Staff
Do you even bench drunken???

Do you own this CPU with this MB??? If so show us your testing.....

As someone who has tested and has tested all the options given by the OP this is good customer service and is very educated purchasing advice.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Do you even bench drunken???

Do you own this CPU with this MB??? If so show us your testing.....

As someone who has tested and has tested all the options given by the OP this is good customer service and is very educated purchasing advice.

So which is it, you've tested and we should trust you, or reviews are useless and you can only trust your own testing? The answer seems to change based on the agenda you're pushing. Spend everything, buy everything it's literally the only way you can know according to some of your posts, here it's trust me, I totally know that spending double on memory will get you more performance.

You do not have to spend more on memory to get the most out of a Taichi, you don't have to get a high end x570 to get the best out of a Ryzen 3000 and you don't need b-die memory to get the best out of a Ryzen 3000.

Do I bench... do I care? Benching is for people who like to show off, people who want to play games care about actual game performance, not one off run in a benchmark they can't play performance.

Why don't you show the massive difference in performance on any Ryzen 3000 chip using lets say 3200 cl 14 and cl 16 vs 3600 cl 14 and cl16, and vs whatever you can do at 4000Mhz and 4400Mhz.

Your purchasing advice is that both a Taichi, and spending double on the memory will offer actually distinguishable performance gains, every single review I've seen disagrees with this, strongly.

Associate
You guys do know that the CPUs on current AGESA codes don't even boost to full stock speeds right??? and your questioning why it may be appropriate to buy bullet proof RAM??

Don't see how the CPU boost algorithm in any way affects the ram you use, micron E-Die works very well at rated XMP speeds and beyond with both original ryzen and 3rd generation.

B-Die in comparison to the E-Die stuff is much more expensive for just a small set of gains, yes if you have deep pockets go for the B-Die stuff.... Otherwise like others have said put the £70 towards a better PSU or SSD :/

For ryzen 3rd generation it's even less important passed 3400mhz ram ... looking at the benchmarks.

OcUK Staff
Did you see the OP.... It was which 8Pack RAM to go for ?? ...Not which cheap modules to use... Some care about 2% that is the difference between first and last in Formula one... Infact its more like 1%... I have customers who will pay double for 100 mhz higher on a cpu.... By far the biggest RMA issue we have with AMD based Ryzen systems is due to memory and none Samsung B IC. My sample size is hundreds and hundreds of systems...

Permabanned
the memory and motherboard will have next to no effect on the overall performance of that cpu. The motherboard is overpriced and pointless, b-die mem is horrendously overpriced and neither will extract better performance out of the cpu.

Spending more for the sake of spending more doesn't increase performance.

Numerous reviews, thousands of users, lots of data all point to the difference between say 3200Mhz cl14, 3733mhz cl16, 4400mhz cl18 to be miniscule, as in you really really won't notice it.

For all intents and purposes, from what I can see, the infinity fabric base bandwidth has increased so much, the latency has reduced so much and with so much cache, there just isn't a lot of performance to be gained now from massively higher speeds, and by not a lot I literally mean, <1%, not 3-4%, or 15-20% as potentially was possible on Zen 1 or an Intel chip, but okay lets say <2%.

Where is all the data showing the difference between mem speeds on Ryzen 2?

Man of Honour
Where is all the data showing the difference between mem speeds on Ryzen 2?
i suspect this is what drunkenmaster is referring to: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/

my 2p's worth...assuming one gets all the 'gibbo/8pack recommends' hype train products:
(1) ryzen 3900x (£480) + x570 taichi (£310) + 16gb b-die 4000c16 ram (£170) + asus 2070 super (£475) = £1435
vs
(2) ryzen 3900x (£480) + aorus x570 elite (£210) + 16gb 3200c16 e-die (£70) + 2080 super (prices not out yet...but let's use mid range 2080 prices so (£650) = £1410

which one will run games better? it ain't likely to be build (1). which is the point i'm trying to make - there's better combinations to spend the money. ram is good and all that...but if it means moving down a gpu class...kinda pointless...

Permabanned
i suspect this is what drunkenmaster is referring to: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-zen-2-memory-performance-scaling-benchmark/

my 2p's worth...assuming one gets all the 'gibbo/8pack recommends' hype train products:
(1) ryzen 3900x (£480) + x570 taichi (£310) + 16gb b-die 4000c16 ram (£170) + asus 2070 super (£475) = £1435
vs
(2) ryzen 3900x (£480) + aorus x570 elite (£210) + 16gb 3200c16 e-die (£70) + 2080 super (prices not out yet...but let's use mid range 2080 prices so (£650) = £1410

which one will run games better? it ain't likely to be build (1). which is the point i'm trying to make - there's better combinations to spend the money. ram is good and all that...but if it means moving down a gpu class...kinda pointless...

Yeah I have seen the above info but we need more data to reach a proper conclusion.

Man of Honour
Yeah I have seen the above info but we need more data to reach a proper conclusion.
a couple more reviews have since popped up:

https://lab501.ro/procesoare-chipseturi/amd-ryzen-3000-part-iv-ddr4-scaling-english-version
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-2133-2400-2933-3200-3733-4000-4200.18860401/
specifically gerardfraser's review also tests 3000c16 and 3200c16 speeds - post 18 (at my humble request) which shows a more "real life" scenario with cheaper ram

tl;dr - not much in it. certainly not worth the extra outlay imo

Permabanned
a couple more reviews have since popped up:

https://lab501.ro/procesoare-chipseturi/amd-ryzen-3000-part-iv-ddr4-scaling-english-version
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-2133-2400-2933-3200-3733-4000-4200.18860401/
specifically gerardfraser's review also tests 3000c16 and 3200c16 speeds - post 18 (at my humble request) which shows a more "real life" scenario with cheaper ram

tl;dr - not much in it. certainly not worth the extra outlay imo

Yup seems that way now we have more data. :)

Back
Top Bottom