Photo Management

Associate
Hi all,

I have a Google Drive currently set up that has been looking after my photos online, but as I have them arranged into neat folders I tend to view via the Google Drive app, which isn't that great as a photo browser to be honest. On my local version on my PC I have the last version of Picasa as it was a good browser and the facial recognition comes in handy occasionally.

However, I've had this set up for years now and wondered if there was a better piece of software to use for either of these, either a decent web app (should I just embrace Google Photos?), or an alternative desktop photo management tool (one that is still updated would be great...)

Thanks for any thoughts!

Soldato
Google Photos is great, what are you missing? Facial and object/place/even emotion recognition is awesome, for example.

You can also have photos in multiple albums (aka folders) which is far more useful.

Associate
OP
Okay - maybe I should just go all in with Google Photos, although I take it there's no fully-fledged desktop version? Or am I living in the past by wanting such a thing?

I'll have a read up on how to sync Drive and Photos, shouldn't be too hard..

Soldato
Good question... just to be accessible offline I guess, I know we're pretty much 'always on' these days though.

Yeah, I'd say it's far more useful to NOT have a desktop version for example. I'm able to access any photo from any device, which is where the search functionality comes in super handy. To give you an idea (once you've got some photos uploaded), try searching for locations - an obvious one - but also try some inanimate objects like "boat" or "sofa" etc, and stretch it by searching for "love" or "fear" etc. It's amazing.

Couple of tips that aren't obvious:
  • Attach a name to recognised faces, makes it easier to search for people by name
  • Following that, you can automatically share photos of people with them. As an example, any photos I take of my nieces gets shared instantly with their parents

Associate
OP
Thanks - will give it a go, looks like facial recognition isn't turned on (and I can't see the easy option to do it), which may have put me off previously - a quick Google suggests the best way is to go via a VPN...

Back
Top Bottom