What are Track Days like

Underboss
they are a lot of money
but excellent fun, great day out !

last time i went was 6-7 years ago in a clio Sport and it started raining, suited my car perfectly :D had the track to myself, car wasn't over heating, i could stay out for 10 laps at a time :D

Caporegime
Best tips I can give is forget about power. Buy some decent track oriented tyres, track orientated pads and discs and flush the system with fresh fluid. I would also look into upgrading the cooling if you can.

I am fine with driving 'slowly' through lack of experience but will a 330 be so slow (in terms of power) that I'll hold everyone up? (I am imaging a field of 911 GT3s go to these things!) Are people generally nice/well behaved on track days? Is it full or 17 year olds or more serious people?

It entirely depends but a 330ci is a fantastic base and can be made into a really quick car. You do have a lot of expensive metal around but also different levels of driver skill. My 25 year old GT-Four with 350BHP showed a clean set of heels to a Caymen GTS but then again I think I was pushing a little harder ;).

It also depends on the track. If you go to the cheaper tracks like Blyton or Cadwell you will often find a lot less expensive metal. If you go to Donnington or Silverstone then you will see a lot of really fast cars. Last time I went to Donny Aston Martin were testing but even still you had anything ranging from teenagers in their Fiesta ST's to people in track prepped M3's.

Maybe first I would book an evening session and see if you like it which in itself is a silly question because you will and then after that do tyre's, brakes, maintenance (Vanos etc). If you want to make it a track car then just strip it out and add some bucket seats.

Soldato
If you fancy it you should really try it. I've probably done 15ish track days although not done one for about 3 or 4 years now and i've really got the itch to start them again but i need to get a cheap car to start doing them again.

The best advise i can give is don't turn up to a track day with road tyres and road brakes, flush your brake fluid with some good quality high temp stuff and get some better front brake pads. Even stuff like the EBC yellowstuff are ok to start out with, then ideally get some racier tyres as road ones tend to melt after a couple of laps and it's just no fun at all especially on a heavier car like yours.

Then listen to the briefing and just take it at your own pace and build up through the day, if someone comes up behind you let them past and it'll be fine. In my experience the fastest thing on any track day you go to will be a tatty looking Clio which will be hooning round passing everything, you really don't need a fast or expensive car to have fun or be 'worthy' of taking it to a track :)

Have a look if your local track has any clubs you can join, my local one has one and they run maybe 5 or 6 evening sessions for club members through the summer. They usually run from 6-8pm in 20 minute sessions (novice and experienced) and it was quite cheap, they started at £30 for the evening but i think they're now around £50. I found 1 hour of driving (3x 20min sessions) was enough for me as i didn't get tired and start making mistakes and you didn't totally trash your car for hours.

You will go through fuel very quickly though, my old Subaru would do around 28-29mpg on the road but i was getting about 11mpg on track, i think about 70-80 miles from a full tank which was about an hour of actual track driving so if you do a full day somewhere that can really add up. For brakes and tyres it really depends on your car, when i settled on some brake pads i liked i could get quite a lot of sessions out of them so maybe 3 or 4 full days worth and tyres again depended on how you were driving but could easily do 3 or 4 days.

Once you've done a couple then you'll probably want to look at mods but i'd for a few in the stock car first, then you'll probably want to strip it out more and have some coilovers fitted. You can then just have fun and enjoy it or go mental and turn it in to a track weapon! All i had on my car was better aftermarket brake pads, discs and brake lines and some coilovers, i always though any mod i was thinking about could be spent on more track time instead which was far more fun!

Edit: - Oh yeah, the best thing i actually did to the car for track stuff was getting some racing harnesses as you really do slide out of your seat with the standard seat belt so that'd be mod 1 for me after you do your first day!

Associate
Then listen to the briefing and just take it at your own pace and build up through the day, if someone comes up behind you let them past and it'll be fine. In my experience the fastest thing on any track day you go to will be a tatty looking Clio which will be hooning round passing everything, you really don't need a fast or expensive car to have fun or be 'worthy' of taking it to a track :)

This is really important - its a track day, not a test day so you've paid the same as anyone else. As long as you keep an eye on your mirrors and are polite then it shouldn't be an issue for anyone.

Last time I was at Donnington there was a Ferrari Enzo (there's a pic in the daily encounters thread :) ) which was slower than most things there as the owner was being gentle with it (probably because its worth £1.5m!).

However, last time I was at Silverstone one of the Le Mans teams were doing passenger rides in their LMP2 race car for their sponsors. Everything (Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren etc) looked like it was standing still compared to that in the hands of their pro racing drivers!

Soldato
Welcome to the slippery slope of spending far too much money on track days :D I started off doing 1 or 2 and after 5 years I'm doing 12-15 a year with dedicated track cars, love it!

Lots of good advice in the thread already :) Just go out and have fun, doesn't matter how quick or slow you are as long as you watch your mirrors and are courteous on track. Lots of numpties out there in £500 Clios and £300k McLarens, doesn't matter what you're driving!

Soldato
Welcome to the slippery slope of spending far too much money on track days :D I started off doing 1 or 2 and after 5 years I'm doing 12-15 a year with dedicated track cars, love it!

Lots of good advice in the thread already :) Just go out and have fun, doesn't matter how quick or slow you are as long as you watch your mirrors and are courteous on track. Lots of numpties out there in £500 Clios and £300k McLarens, doesn't matter what you're driving!

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/building-a-supercharged-exocet.18816740/

Back
Top Bottom