Building a supercharged Exocet

Soldato
I thought some people might be interested in my midlife crisis project....

I had an NB MX5 Sport which was the ideal basis for a quicker MX5 for a bit of B-Road and track fun, it has an LSD and bigger brakes as standard so seemed ideal for enhancing the power a little bit.

20141012_1217481_zpsafc45b40.jpg

The "quicker" came about via this..

20141009_182127_zps8d53ec1c.jpg
"

Which resulted in this...

20151120_134422_zpshz40lgke.jpg

However the rust apparent under the bonnet wasn't just surface rust and I got an advisory on the last MOT, the chassis rails are scrap. At this point i started looking at restoration costs but then stumbled across the Exocet and a silly plan was hatched with the aim of 400bhp per ton in a great handling package.

8fccf20dgyww.jpg

I'm hoping to pick my chassis and parts up soon though there's some work to be done before I'm really ready for it.

After a day or so on my own, having done next to no car maintenance before, I'd got this far...

image2_zpsvcvpr5hq.jpg

IMG_20180324_130735_zpsnviggzbk.jpg

IMG_20180325_134059_zpsxilbqqxt.jpg

I then got a mate round on Saturday for a few hours and we had a good go at the engine bay, most of the ancillaries are largely disconnected or removed and we've got the loom pulled through into the cabin.

IMG_20180408_085456_1_zpszwpodsfa.jpg

Amazing learning curve so far, but starting to feel more confident that I/we can pull this off!

I then managed another hour after work last night.

IMG_20180409_195235.jpg

Soldato
OP
Keeping an eye on this :)

What charger is that?

Rotrex, nice little unit, runs cooler than a normal supercharger, comes with an independent cooling and filtration system.

I think i can drop a pulley size for a bit more oomph, if the car comes in at 650kg, I'll need about 260bhp for the 400bhp per ton, might be doable.

Or go big on an engine build and see if i can run a turbo back there too for dual charged stupidity. :D

Soldato
OP
Dis gon be gud

We'll see, I've never even changed brake pads before....

I'm treating it like my first PC build, take one apart to understand it and then rebuild, it's just a little more involved.

I'm drawing diagrams of how the charger and custom ECU were built into the OEM bits and labelling up the loom as i go.

Soldato
OP
So the MX5 is the donor for the exocet? I'm interested as I've got an MX5 that's starting to become more rust than car.

Less than that really.

You basically strip and disconnect the body from the suspension and submount and then lift it off with an engine hoist.

Most people then strip the suspension etc down, rebush and powder coat, but you dont have to.

Then you bolt a pre-assembled tubular chassis to the MX5 "skate", add the body work with supplied rivets etc, run your brake / fuel lines and electrics down the tunnel, which comes as a sheet of metal to be cut to shape.

The loom you just coil up the bits you don't need and put in a tray on the bulkhead.

I'm having to remove AC, PAS and probably I'll take the ABS out too.

Hopefully having already got a Megasquirt 3 ECU i shouldn't have too many issues with doing so.

Chassis.jpg

Associate
So the MX5 is the donor for the exocet? I'm interested as I've got an MX5 that's starting to become more rust than car.
mk1 and 2 mx5, so i think you're golden, according to your signature pic...

used to have a mk3.5 and I've been itching at getting another for a weekend car, but getting a 3.5 would stop me for being able to exocet it... guess I'll watch this...

Back
Top Bottom