Freezing tomatoes

Associate
hi all

I was wondering if anyone had any luck with freezing tomatoes before using them in recipes.

I am wanting to make my own passata but want to freeze the tomatoes until I have plenty of ripened tomatoes ready so I can make a big batch of passata all at once.

Cheers

Soldato
Yep, my grandparents did this a lot when my grandad had his allotment.

Ideally you want to freeze them whole, spread out on a baking sheet or similar and then put them in the freezer. Once they're frozen you can put them all into a box/bag. This keeps them frozen but separate.

They did it with cherry tomatoes, but no reason same thing wouldn't work with regular tomatoes.

Works great for making tomato based sauces as you've suggested.

Soldato
They are quite waxy so shouldn't stick I just wang em in a shopping bag and then in the freezer.

They sound like snooker balls when they are frozen and knock each other.

When you cook them just put a CM of water in the bottom of the pan and chuck them in it helps them to thaw and cook down.

Soldato
If you have a lot of tomatoes and are limited on space. Halve tomatoes and dry in an oven at about 70degC until they have partially dried then blend and freeze gets rid of the moisture and saves space and intensifies the flavour. Done it loads of times.

Soldato
If you have a lot of tomatoes and are limited on space. Halve tomatoes and dry in an oven at about 70degC until they have partially dried then blend and freeze gets rid of the moisture and saves space and intensifies the flavour. Done it loads of times.

Mmmm, really good advice.

I bet that kinda oven roasted/smokey flavour pulls through into the sauce as well.

Soldato
I've always been told to pop them boiling water for a couple of minutes so the skins come off easily then drop them in cold to stop them from actually cooking and turning to mush, then they go straight onto trays into the freezer. Can't be used in salads obviously but they cook just fine. Not sure why the skins are supposed to come though.

Back
Top Bottom