How much would you pay for the next gen consoles?

Soldato
Seen an 8K TV at Currys for almost 7 grand yesterday. Who would even buy that? There isn't even any content. Plus screen size starts to become an issue, need a massive screen to notice and 65" is the max I can fit in my TV space.

Man of Honour
I have a 49” TV and purportedly you have to be about 3-5’ away to notice the difference between 1080p and 4K :o

I think HDR is way more impressive than 4K tbh.

Soldato

Pre order lols.

"The good news for gamers, though, is that MediaMarkt Sweden state that its "PS5 info is temporary and can be changed for release""

And

"In reality, it's likely that this price is a super-play-it-safe placeholder that MediaMarkt has slapped down so it can start hoovering up pre-orders from gaming enthusiasts in Sweden, while also protecting itself from having to change a pre-order price upwards after the official reveal."

Ya dont say! :)

I thought t3 were better than this?

Soldato

fez

fez

Caporegime
To be fair, the power and ray tracing possibly in a PS5, the price sounds about right considering GPU prices.

No it doesn't even a little bit. You genuinely think that Sonys next gen offering is going to cost ~£900. They would sell a handful of consoles and literally hand the generation to MS. If it costs any more that £550 I would be astounded.

Soldato
2080+ power and raytracing, yes

AMD don't have anything on the market close to that sort of power in the PC space, what makes you think they can build it for a console?

Most consoles launch with at most a mid tier spec GPU on launch and quickly fade away as the PC is always moving forward. It will have something close to what you can get on PC for £250-£300 at launch. They are just able to get more out of it because they are working to bare metal and not dealing with the overhead of Windows.

Soldato
OP
The launch prices of playstations were;

PS1: £299
PS2: £299
PS3: £425
PS4: £349
PS4 Pro: £349

I can imagine PS5 might come in at either £499 or £599.

I think the advantage this machine has over previous incarnations of playstations (with the exception of the pro) is it'll be the first time that a change in generation doesn't result in you not being able to play the previous generations games. If they can make it so the machine plays older games better, that would be a good temptation to move up. We wouldnt have to start our PS5 collection from scratch.

fez

fez

Caporegime
2080+ power and raytracing, yes

So based on the history of consoles not being anywhere near the price it would require to stick a card that powerful inside, what makes you think that the PS5 will buck the trend and come out at ~2x the normal cost of a new console and will contain something that powerful.

Soldato
PS4 Pro wasn't anywhere near the power of a 1080 and launched AFTER the 1080.

If the PS5 is anywhere near as powerful as a 2080Ti with ray tracing, you can bet it'll be expensive.

The PS4 was like 660 performance when the 780ti was around.

So at best I'd expect a PS5 to be RTX2060 performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
The monkeys over at Resetera are expecting their PS5 to inc a 15TF GPU, top of the line 8 core CPU, 1TB SDD, 32 GB of RAM and a 4K BR drive all for $499.

Some members over there need to put down their crack pipe.

Are you saying the specs are outlandish or getting those specs at that price? I think the only thing on your list that is questionable is the GPU power, the others are all heavily rumoured and some bits have been confirmed by Sony (and by MS for Project Scarlett). Sony will want to handily beat the 1X in terms of CPU and GPU performance, plus MS have already claimed Project Scarlett will be four times as powerful as the 1X, so Sony will be desperate not to be left behind or look inferior versus their major rival.

Pricing will be interesting. I think they'll kill sales if they price it north of about £550. That's the absolute maximum I'd be willing to pay and even then I'd probably only pay that if there's a really strong lineup of launch games. Who here is realistically going to pay £600+ for a console at launch? It would also be significantly more than Sony or MS have ever charged for a console and they've always come with quite high-end components, even if they aren't bleeding edge by the time of launch. Also, I imagine AMD offered a pretty competitive price for the custom Zen 2 & Navi APU both consoles will be using. It's a big coup for AMD to have retained both major console manufacturers for their next-gen offerings, I don't think they'd have wanted to risk either company running to Intel & Nvidia for the CPU and GPU.

Back
Top Bottom