What's up with Yorkshire?

Soldato
Although it no longer exists, Middlesbrough is in Cleveland. I still use Cleveland as a postal address when sending cards to my folks in Stokesley.

Also, Yorkshire / North Yorkshire is the best place in the world

Caporegime
Although it no longer exists, Middlesbrough is in Cleveland. I still use Cleveland as a postal address when sending cards to my folks in Stokesley.

Also, Yorkshire / North Yorkshire is the best place in the world

It’s in the “Cleveland” postal area which uses the TS postal code (unofficially “Teeside”) bit like you say the county of Cleveland doesn’t exist. It only existed briefly and the area was in North Yorkshire for longer before and longer since.

As with the other poster highlighting that Middlesbrough is in the conurbation of Teesside, highlighting the postal area doesn’t negate the fact that Middlesbrough is in North Yorkshire.

So we can conclude after several posts:

Middlesbourough is in the county of North Yorkshire

It is part of the conurbation of Tessside (which contains parts of the counties of County Durham to the north and North Yorkshire to the south)

It is in the TS postal area, which is referred to by the name of a now defunct county called Cleveland, unofficially it is the Teesside postal area.

Some people have a chip on their shoulder re: whether Middlesbrough is in Yorkshire or not, this is sort of like the reverse of the people who want to pretend that the London borough of Richmond is in Surrey.

Soldato
I'm from Middlesbrough and I've never heard of it been referred to as North Yorkshire since the 80's

I'm Stokesley, it was always Cleveland for me but I was born in 73 and it became Cleveland in 72, my nan never thought of it as anything other than North Riding.
I do consider myself a Yorkshire man though.

Soldato
Was down in t'shire t'day for a business meeting. Weather was glorious!

Basically, you substitute 'the' for 't'', so one might say "I'm going t'shop", but you wouldn't say "t'day" because that doesn't make sense. You would just say today. You might say "I'm going t'pub later on wi' mates" though.

I'm Stokesley, it was always Cleveland for me but I was born in 73 and it became Cleveland in 72, my nan never thought of it as anything other than North Riding.

I had an ex from Stokesley, it's way too posh to be considered Yorkshire.

Caporegime
Basically, you substitute 'the' for 't'', so one might say "I'm going t'shop", but you wouldn't say "t'day" because that doesn't make sense. You would just say today. You might say "I'm going t'pub later on wi' mates" though.

I know, that's what's funny about it. It plays on the fact that people do it and takes it to an exaggerated level.

Soldato

My address still comes up as Marton-in-Cleveland on quite a few online forms, stick my postcode in on Google maps and it is the same.

Man of Honour
I travel to York a fair bit, the main things I like are:

-Random people are generally quite pleasant
-Food is reasonably priced in bistros etc (i.e. you can get a decent lunch for under a fiver)
-The Grand Hotel is one of the best hotels I have stayed at in England and again is reasonably priced
-Good mix of independent and chain shops/restaurants etc
-Bit of character to the streets due to the history

Soldato
2nd post here but yes been from Yorkshire and living there the majority of my life can't despute that the nice bits are amazing , but where I was in west Yorkshire wasn't amazing, people grimly crawling to work and back in the traffic, then spending the weekend at IKEA or white rose, repeat
People I talk to when I go back say they would love to escape but can't see a way out

Man of Honour
I travel to York a fair bit, the main things I like are:

-Random people are generally quite pleasant
-Food is reasonably priced in bistros etc (i.e. you can get a decent lunch for under a fiver)
-The Grand Hotel is one of the best hotels I have stayed at in England and again is reasonably priced
-Good mix of independent and chain shops/restaurants etc
-Bit of character to the streets due to the history

I think that I’ve only been to York twice, and I can’t knock it, The Shambles and York Minster are well worth a visit.
My brain is doing mental cartwheels though, wondering what a decent lunch for less than a fiver consists of.
I’m not a big eater, but lunch for me, (if I had lunch at all), would consist of more than a pork pie and a glass of wine, a decent glass of wine would be at least a fiver, and I don’t drink beer.

Associate
I'm from Yorkshire and never really got why people thought it was a friendlier and nicer place than anywhere else.. until I moved to London. Now I love London, but I never just get chatting to people in the street or even at the pub like you do up north. I usually don't even get a thanks if I offer up my seat on the tube. It is a massive difference.

Caporegime
I'm from Yorkshire and never really got why people thought it was a friendlier and nicer place than anywhere else.. until I moved to London. Now I love London, but I never just get chatting to people in the street or even at the pub like you do up north. I usually don't even get a thanks if I offer up my seat on the tube. It is a massive difference.

This. When I went to live in London for a year it took me a while to get used to people thought you were a nut job if you tried striking up a conversation on the tube or the bus.

Man of Honour
This. When I went to live in London for a year it took me a while to get used to people thought you were a nut job if you tried striking up a conversation on the tube or the bus.

Depends what you open with, if it’s “did your electricity go out yesterday?”, or, “Once Corbyn gets in, everything’s going to be okay”, you will quite rightly be treated with ignore, whereas if you say something sensible, like, “Boris shouldn’t even be thinking of leaving without a deal”, there’ll be a chorus of **** off, you Northern ****.

Caporegime
Back then, 30 years ago there was no Boris or Corbyn to discuss. Cant remember what I used to talk about. Just general stuff like you do in Yorkshire while waiting for a bus etc.

Man of Honour
Back then, 30 years ago there was no Boris or Corbyn to discuss. Cant remember what I used to talk about. Just general stuff like you do in Yorkshire while waiting for a bus etc.

You could read War and Peace while waiting for a bus in Yorkshire
probably, down here you might just have time to read a text!

Back
Top Bottom