BMW 640D - First service cost?!

Soldato
Why are they charging so much for a pollen filter? And why are they calling it a "microfilter" :p

Activated carbon filters are about £10-15 elsewhere..

Man of Honour
would you buy a diesel sports coupe?

The only reason I didn't was because I could get a 12 month old 530d for the price of a 3 year old 640d.

It's not a sports coupe it's a big Grand Tourer. It's larger than a 5 series and is designed to cover large distances in comfort. The 640d is the ideal version.

Soldato
Why are they charging so much for a pollen filter? And why are they calling it a "microfilter" :p

Activated carbon filters are about £10-15 elsewhere..

They have two filter panels not one. My F11 had two activated carbon filters and even with 50%off at GSF they were about £35 for the two. BMW charge £30 each for them.

Soldato
Unlike the E39 the filters are also inside the dash which bumps up the labour charge to replace them :rolleyes:

It's only about 15-20 minutes and they are easy to change but at the labour rates it adds up to about £100 of the service bill. I used to get them to leave them and only pay for the oil change.

Soldato
Why do German engineers make everything so difficult to get to..

Seems an odd design to use two carbon filters as well. Especially if they are placed in series. All that will happen is the first one gets clogged and the second does nothing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Seems an odd design to use two carbon filters as well. Especially if they are placed in series. All that will happen is the first one gets clogged and the second does nothing.

Why would they be in series? There is an air intake and pollen filter each side of the car.

Soldato
would you buy a diesel sports coupe?

or a diesel sports anything? apart from a range rover?

it's the wrong engine for that car. unlike a 5 series which isn't marketed as sporty unless it's the M5 which again isn't diesel

The 640d isn't a sports coupe. It's a GT. So completely sensible engine for the car.

i suppose i better go order my diesel GT-R then

I can't quite wrap my head around how ridiculous this exchange is. What a stupid response to make, ignoring what was said rather than just conceding that you were wrong :D

Fancy enlightening everyone about how to change the spark plugs on GT86? ;)

Soldato
I feel your pain.
My Focus is booked in on 19th and oil alone is £240 + filters - 7ltrs of Powershift oil at £30 ltr and £30 for engine oil - This will be my last garage service - I only have it done for the breakdown cover as I can't be assed to waste time on net looking for a good deal .-

Soldato
I feel your pain.
My Focus is booked in on 19th and oil alone is £240 + filters - 7ltrs of Powershift oil at £30 ltr and £30 for engine oil - This will be my last garage service - I only have it done for the breakdown cover as I can't be assed to waste time on net looking for a good deal .-

The hidden cost of dual clutch gearboxes. They needs loads of the most expensive grade oil every few years, so hopefully they don't explode one day.

Even if you buy the stuff yourself it isn't cheap.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
he bought a diesel though which shows he knows nothing about cars apart from mpg.

he's likely saving himself nothing to be chugging along in a tractor engine when he could be enjoying the sound of a V8 petrol.

Sorry but just a stupid post. This is my first diesel car!

Already owned BMW's with petrol engines (among many other cars)

E89 Z4 with an N54....loved that car/engine!
4 series GC with N55....not much love really for that car

The 6 series make utter and total perfect sence for a diesel unit. The 640i/650i are very rare and Imagen depreciate even more than a already high depreciating car. (M6 a totally different beast!)

The build quality is very high in the 6 series and apart from occasional fun people getting in the back (it isn't that bad unless your 6ft+) probably the best car I have owned.

First child due in January, fairly sure I won't be able to get a car seat in/out easy but the wife has a Qashqai so that can be the baby wagon

With regard the service failed to get any of my local dealers to move on price so looks will most likely just pay the £400. Suppose isn't to bad since it only needs doing every 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom