Wearable Tech

Associate
What wearable tech do you use?

Installed Google Fit on my Oneplus 6T couple of weeks ago and noticed far better improvement in distance tracking in games like Pokemon Go but also like the daily goals you can set. This lead to me looking into fitbit and smart watches as I like the idea of tracking heart rate etc

So what do you use or have used? anything to avoid?

Soldato
Recently started running so I’m tempted by one now. Thinking about an Apple Watch but will wait til September for the new ones.

Associate
OP
The apple ones have always been in top 5 for any of the online reviews i've read.

Mainly do walking/cycling but would like it to be able to record while swimming which makes it a little more difficult i imagine as the activity is not able to rely on phone gps tracking for distance accuracy. Those with built in GPS i struggle to see how they'd be accurate in say a 25m pool if doing lengths

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
A semi smart Garmin Fenix 3hr, read messages and decline calls all I need to do without pulling my phone out of my pocket.

Associate
OP
A semi smart Garmin Fenix 3hr, read messages and decline calls all I need to do without pulling my phone out of my pocket.
Had a look through the Garmin range yesterday - not cheap but seemed to be quite well rated for fitness tracking.

Do you use the app much for tracking different sporting activities?

Just been looking at the fossil smartwatches today and they seem to link directly into the google fit app rather than have their own app

Soldato
I'm very old school on this, I have a Pebble Time.

It's getting a bit tetchy in it's old age to be honest. I keep thinking of replacing it, but stuff like the Apple watch costs a fortune (and I'm hopelessly clumsy with watches - loath to spend several hundred on something I'll immediately scratch), while the cheaper stuff I'm not sure how well it works with iPhones.

I've also considered a hybrid, but again, really struggled to decide on one.

Associate
OP
noticed some of the expensive ones come with or have the option for sapphire glass which should be all but scratch proof. Though as you say when they are charging £250-£500 you'd hope they came with sapphire glass

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Had a look through the Garmin range yesterday - not cheap but seemed to be quite well rated for fitness tracking.

Do you use the app much for tracking different sporting activities?

Just been looking at the fossil smartwatches today and they seem to link directly into the google fit app rather than have their own app

Had a Fenix 2 initially but had battery issues so got a refund, managed to snag the 3hr on a pre-order deal which only meant putting an additional £100 towards it with the bonus of getting sapphire glass and titanium bezel, I use a couple of the sports tracking activities plus some I've created myself, I also use some extra widgets a lot. Its built like a tank and gets abused regularly without any damage.

Soldato
I have a Fitbit Charge 3. Does what it's meant to do most of the time. Sometimes it'll be flaky to sync with my phone but I think that might be down to the BT on my phone being a bit iffy at times so I'm not overly bothered. It's a bit annoying when it hasn't synced for a few days but when it does, everything goes through and is fully tracked.
It does notifications, silent alarms (vibrates on your wrist to wake you up) and is waterproof.
I recall that the glass is supposedly scratch proof...I've scratched two units so far. I did have a major pixel failure on one and they sent out a new one without issue, just the tracker though, no straps or charger.

E: I got mine as I wanted to keep an eye on my heart rate mostly, so step and sleep tracking are added bonuses for me. The app allows you to record food, weight, water etc. although I don't tend to use it a great deal for that.
Downside is that you can only use the Fitbit app, you can't use a third party app to sync with as it doesn't connect via conventional BT connections but via the app itself.

Associate
OP
I have a Fitbit Charge 3. Does what it's meant to do most of the time. Sometimes it'll be flaky to sync with my phone but I think that might be down to the BT on my phone being a bit iffy at times so I'm not overly bothered. It's a bit annoying when it hasn't synced for a few days but when it does, everything goes through and is fully tracked.
It does notifications, silent alarms (vibrates on your wrist to wake you up) and is waterproof.
I recall that the glass is supposedly scratch proof...I've scratched two units so far. I did have a major pixel failure on one and they sent out a new one without issue, just the tracker though, no straps or charger.

E: I got mine as I wanted to keep an eye on my heart rate mostly, so step and sleep tracking are added bonuses for me. The app allows you to record food, weight, water etc. although I don't tend to use it a great deal for that.
Downside is that you can only use the Fitbit app, you can't use a third party app to sync with as it doesn't connect via conventional BT connections but via the app itself.

Do all fitbit's require the fitbit app and dont allow the device to sync with any other apps like google fit and samsung health etc?

Associate
I've got a fitbit charge HR (the one without the replaceable strap), the strap has broken a number of times, and I keep glueing it back on.

Soldato
Do all fitbit's require the fitbit app and dont allow the device to sync with any other apps like google fit and samsung health etc?
Not a clue. This is my first wearable tech and so first Fitbit.

The app does the same as Samsung Health though with regards to recording things so it's not too big a deal to replace it with Fitbit but it's something to keep in mind when looking at the devices if others will sync with multiple/different apps they may be more suitable.

Back
Top Bottom