• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 5700 XT Owners Thread.

Soldato
I don't get the nice try lark. It's not a negative that it's not high end.

The 5700XT is mid range, it's size is the indication of this.

It's mid range at a higher tier price point. But it's performance is very good for what it is.

Agreed, is call the 2070 mid range too. Nvidia bumped the price of all the tiers up and AMD, whilst cheaper, are still more expensive than they were for a given tier. High end would be 2080+ or 5800+ when they arrive.

Something is not high end just because it's the first model to launch.

Associate
Here it is:
2tV4Kaj_d.jpg
wZBjnd3

wZBjnd3

Last edited:
Associate
Just a question for you though, why do you think its at risk?

PSU are some of the most overbuilt hardware you can get.

Just curious to where your train of thought on electrical subsystem thinks its a risk?

The older a PSU gets, the higher the risk of failure. I had a decade old PSU in storage, unused for years, kept well packed and dry, but it failed when a friend used it in his build. Luckily no damage done, but lesson well and truly learned for both of us! :o

Associate
The older a PSU gets, the higher the risk of failure. I had a decade old PSU in storage, unused for years, kept well packed and dry, but it failed when a friend used it in his build. Luckily no damage done, but lesson well and truly learned for both of us! :o

You haven't given a technical reason if I'm honest but I am curious to hear from people to what they think the risk is.

But its good to hear that system came unscathed :)

Associate
Just a question for you though, why do you think its at risk?

PSU are some of the most overbuilt hardware you can get.

Just curious to where your train of thought on electrical subsystem thinks its a risk?

Personal vicissitudes, I suppose. That said I'm no expert on PSUs, but I believe the standards on these puppies were lower a decade ago. And granted it has likely run its course: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

Associate
Personal vicissitudes, I suppose. That said I'm no expert on PSUs, but I believe the standards on these puppies were lower a decade ago. And granted it has likely run its course: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

Only issue with any of this is, what is the time frame that failure is supposed to be exhibited? Looking at that graph alone, the initial usage suggests thats when the bulk of the rate begins then starts to level off in a steady fashion.

I'm not an electrical engineer mate, and I'm guessing neither are you? It's accepted that PSUs degrade over time, particularly with heavy use. Do you think people are careful for no reason?

Oh I'm not but if no ones an expert, can a claim like that be reliably made, everything degrades over time but at the same time, to think something will fail in 3 years and becomes a high risk from after that point seems senseless if anything, a scare monger from somewhere.

Only an electrical expert on these forums can really tell us the life expectancy of components like this.

Associate
Only issue with any of this is, what is the time frame that failure is supposed to be exhibited? Looking at that graph alone, the initial usage suggests thats when the bulk of the rate begins then starts to level off in a steady fashion.

Oh I'm not but if no ones an expert, can a claim like that be reliably made, everything degrades over time but at the same time, to think something will fail in 3 years and becomes a high risk from after that point seems senseless if anything, a scare monger from somewhere.

Only an electrical expert on these forums can really tell us the life expectancy of components like this.

Isolated PSU failures are all dandy. The problem is when you add the cumulative risk of damaging other components in the process. Just seems very unnecessary.

Associate
Isolated PSU failures are all dandy. The problem is when you add the cumulative risk of damaging other components in the process. Just seems very unnecessary.

We all know failures is a very real thing in components, but you are actually avoiding the question, what would be the risk of my PSU failing and what sort of time frames do you expect them to fail at? or become a risk from?

Why isn't 20 years considered a point of risk?

Associate
We all know failures is a very real thing in components, but you are actually avoiding the question, what would be the risk of my PSU failing and what sort of time frames do you expect them to fail at? or become a risk from?

Why isn't 20 years considered a point of risk?

The life expectancy of a PSU on average is between 5-6 years I believe. Trying to pinpoint the exact time of failure takes us to abstruse nonlinearity way past the deterministic bounds inside chaos and dynamical systems and so it's impossible to answer.

I'm not an expert on PSUs, again, but I believe the cause of most common failures is attributed to degraded capacitors and in case the overvoltage/surge protection fails, other components could be damaged in the process.

Feel free to correct me whenever applicable, always keen on learning.

Back
Top Bottom