• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Prepares GeForce 436.02 Gamescom Special Graphics Drivers

Caporegime
I've installed it, why did they pull it? :O

NVIDIA has found a bug in our recent 436.02 driver posting, causing it to install GeForce Experience even if the user selects not to install it. We are pausing the driver download from the NVIDIA website while we fix the issue. Users attempting to download the driver from the NVIDIA website will receive a “404 – Not Found” message when attempting to download. If you have installed the driver and wish to uninstall GeForce Experience, you can do so from the ‘Window System Settings: Add or Remove programs’. We apologize for the error and hope to have the fixed driver re-posted soon

Might be back now though, going by the above :p

Man of Honour
I find it bizarre that these big technology companies don't do more testing. The most consistent seem to be Intel but they have got a lot of resources.

Intel has a different mentality - a more rigid kind of one shot approach for getting a robust product out the box - which is why I don't have huge hopes for them in the discrete graphics segment as that lack of flexibility works heavily against them there and probably partly why they've struggled with the whole 10nm thing instead of bending to circumstances.

Soldato
Intel has a different mentality - a more rigid kind of one shot approach for getting a robust product out the box - which is why I don't have huge hopes for them in the discrete graphics segment as that lack of flexibility works heavily against them there and probably partly why they've struggled with the whole 10nm thing instead of bending to circumstances.

Good point, so what's Nvidia's excuse for pulling a driver launched around a major event? That isn't a dig specifically at them it just comes across as unprofessional when large companies don't do basic testing. How hard is it to have an "Insider" program and get any issues ironed out before public release?

Don't get me wrong AMD among others (motherboard BIOS!) have their own shoddy releases too.

Man of Honour
Good point, so what's Nvidia's excuse for pulling a driver launched around a major event? That isn't a dig specifically at them it just comes across as unprofessional when large companies don't do basic testing. How hard is it to have an "Insider" program and get any issues ironed out before public release?

Don't get me wrong AMD among others (motherboard BIOS!) have their own shoddy releases too.

Too much reliance these days on being able to fix it post release :(

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Apparently you can uninstall it afterwards and the driver still works OK - not sure if that removes all the telemetry **** and other network services you don't really want running just because. Haven't tried yet to see if they install with modifications to the extracted package.
So the sharpening stuff can be accessed outside of GeForce Experience? If so that is ok as I can just do a clean install of the drivers which is super easy to do.

Man of Honour
So the sharpening stuff can be accessed outside of GeForce Experience? If so that is ok as I can just do a clean install of the drivers which is super easy to do.

No you need GFE for some of the new image processing features :(

Man of Honour
It simply resembles Windows' Device Manager appearance. This is super strange-o-weird :confused:

Radeon Settings is much more pleasing to the eye.

I still don't get the problem - I go in there like once or twice setup what I want then rarely use it - and everything is pretty easy to find.

Permabanned
I still don't get the problem - I go in there like once or twice setup what I want then rarely use it - and everything is pretty easy to find.

I go all the time - to check for drivers updates, to get information about the software versions, to change 3D settings, to change my displays' settings.
It is not a good idea to keep the main UI of the driver for a graphics card untouched for 16 years.

Soldato

With Nvidia you are paying a premium for the supposed best so you should get the best in every area. If a much smaller company like AMD can do this then so should the segment leader. The AMD experience is light years ahead in this department. There is just no need in this day and age to be using an xp like panel. It's a bit like getting a top of the range car with an 80's radio cassette player.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
With Nvidia you are paying a premium for the supposed best so you should get the best in every area. If a much smaller company like AMD can do this then so should the segment leader. The AMD experience is light years ahead in this department. There is just no need in this day and age to be using an xp like panel. It's a bit like getting a top of the range car with an 80's radio cassette player.
Agreed.

No you need GFE for some of the new image processing features :(
********. Finding ways to force people to install stuff we don’t want to!

Associate

Except when it comes to security... With that they have a "one shot and hope no one finds out" approach.

Man of Honour
I go all the time - to check for drivers updates, to get information about the software versions, to change 3D settings, to change my displays' settings.
It is not a good idea to keep the main UI of the driver for a graphics card untouched for 16 years.

All of which you can do simply and easily so I don't see the problem - maybe because I've butchered the drivers to remove undesirable stuff but I don't think you've been able to check for driver updates from the nVidia control panel for awhile anyhow.

Except when it comes to security... With that they have a "one shot and hope no one finds out" approach.

The same with any hardware security if there is any interest in it in the long term eventually it gets cracked - the problem is Intel staying on fundamentally the same architecture for so long.

Last edited:
Soldato
what's the downside of the low latency settings?
does it reduce vram use?

i am guessing but this may switch off the frame pacing that nvidia marketed against AMD all those years ago and instead reverts back to lower latency draws as fast as the card can throw them as per AMD circa 2011/2012.

Man of Honour
i am guessing but this may switch off the frame pacing that nvidia marketed against AMD all those years ago and instead reverts back to lower latency draws as fast as the card can throw them as per AMD circa 2011/2012.

Some people have reported a ~3% IIRC decrease in average framerate with ultra - I've not noticed any feeling of microstutter, etc. that would normally come with increased sporadic delay between frame output.

Associate
Ironicy forza horizon 4 is a stutter fest for me after the new driver despite their claims of an uptick in perf. 20fps loss plus long pauses like the CPU can't cope lol . On the flip side in seige I'm seeing butter gameplay with ultra low latency enbaled with upwards of 10% increase in fps

Back
Top Bottom