A few beginner questions

Associate
Totally new to the world of water cooling. I've currently got a small form factor case and the sound is driving me crazy. I'm sacking off and going back to a full size case.

I am wanting to cool my modestly overclocked 8700K and my RTX 2080 TI.

I was just wondering would x1 360 radiator be sufficient? The ek configurator recommends X2 360 which seems a lot to me.

Also which brand would you guys recommend?

How much performance difference is there in the different materials? Nickel, copper and aluminium?

Sorry if this has been covered many times before I did have a quick look.

Cheers Ricky

Soldato
Welcome! I joined these forums while planning my first water cooled system.

There are a load of resources and I'd recommend doing lots of reading if you want to have an easy time getting started. No one wants a carpet puddle under their PC :)

As some quick responses to your questions:

The rule of thumb "one fan slot per component and one for safety" is very dated, don't trust it - plus the 8700k is a hungry chip. Likewise the 2080 Ti uses a lot of energy ergo makes a lot of heat. I would say a minimum of 240mm each, so perhaps 2x240mm radiators in the loop, or a 360 and. 120/240. I have a 360 and a 120 cooling an i5-4690k and 1070, temperatures are OK but not amazing. That said I aim for silence rather than lower temperatures.

Materials: copper is arguably better than aluminium but it's fairly marginal. However you shouldn't mix materials in a loop if you can avoid it. The majority of parts are copper/brass so it makes sense to not tie yourself into limited options.

Nickel is just a plating used in copper for looks, no performance change. Nicer looks but risk of one day tarnishing or corroding.

Brands? Down to preference, individual parts may be better or worse but every user on here will have an opinion :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks so much this is exactly the kind of reply I was hoping to receive.

I have done quite a bit of research but I'm feeling like I'm pretty much ready to pull the pin and order my gear.

I'll post my shopping list, I'd be very grateful if you could give it a once over?

Cheers Ricky

Soldato
More rads is usually better, either you get lower temps noise or both. Also as long as you don't get suckered in for the absurdly expensive rads then, and extra 240/360 isn't much in the grand scheme of a full loop.

Soft tubing is easier than hard but hard arguably looks better.

I use mostly EK stuff but they seemed to have stopped being competitively priced, bit wary of them now. It's fine to mix brands, though flush your radiators before use.

Case is really important, no point having massive rads if the air can only come in through a tiny slot.

Mayhems for coolant.

Associate
OP
Thanks Soldato, which brand would you recommend for the rads? I aslo think EK seem very expensive. There's just so much choice its a little overwheling for a first time buyer

Soldato
Totally new to the world of water cooling. I've currently got a small form factor case and the sound is driving me crazy. I'm sacking off and going back to a full size case.

I am wanting to cool my modestly overclocked 8700K and my RTX 2080 TI.

I was just wondering would x1 360 radiator be sufficient? The ek configurator recommends X2 360 which seems a lot to me.

Also which brand would you guys recommend?

How much performance difference is there in the different materials? Nickel, copper and aluminium?

Sorry if this has been covered many times before I did have a quick look.

Cheers Ricky

A 360 Rad won't be enough for me tbh, the fan speed required would drive me nuts.

Not much difference in radiator makes, just stick to the thinner radiator options.

If it interests you I run a liquid cooled small-form factor portable ITX case and currently use an internal 240mm Corsair AIO and an external 360 aquacomputer triple deskstander. I run 5700XT, 1080ti HOF on rotation. I am about to pull out the Corsair AIO and place a MO-RA Pro onto the floor.

Big cases were nice in 2011 but I think that small form factor with large external radiators and either passive or low rpm 200mm fans is the way to go in the future.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks Besty interesting set up. I do have a nice case. I have the Steatcom DA2 but just no where to put the rads externally.

I'll post my shopping list later guys.

Soldato
Lots of water-cooling gear available second-hand and so long as it doesn't't leak a rad is a rad unless you're really anal about it. The best rad I've ever had was a Vauxhall Checvette heatercore. Alphacool are good but they use funny screws.

Choose a good case first that's designed for water-cooling. The Fractal Design Define S2 is really good and not going to break the bank. Get a good quality pump/res as this will last you for years. Full-cover GPU blocks are expensive and rarely re-usable so consider using a universal block for your first rig. Use barbs, soft-tubing and distilled water for your first rig (cheap and therefore easily replaced but will let you learn).

If you go with the DefineS you can get a 280mm in the roof and another 280 in the front which should be enough for what you're trying to cool.

Watch videos and learn about drains and fill ports before you plan your loop.

Associate
OP
Guys I've put together my first shopping list using EK parts for now. I used their configurator to some extent.

I'll try to purchase from Overclockers anything I can.

https://imgur.com/a/hjegQgp

I massively appreciate you giving me some tips on this.

1. First off anything that wont fit?
2. Anything missing?
3. Anything costing way too much and would be better using an alternative manufacturer?

I wanted a longer tube from my pump, I just think they look better.

Thanks in advance guys!

Cheers

Ricky

Back
Top Bottom