• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rumour: AMD's 4096 Shader Big Navi in Q4 2019?

Permabanned
Omg the middle of 2020 for the Nvidia Killer is what techradar said today i thought this was closer. That is a full year behind Nvidia.

That's why the driver i guess was the biggest thing they had at Gamescom. Did AMD show anything?

Associate
Omg the middle of 2020 for the Nvidia Killer is what techradar said today i thought this was closer. That is a full year behind Nvidia.

That's why the driver i guess was the biggest thing they had at Gamescom. Did AMD show anything?

Why is this surprising? We know AMD are behind, they don't have the same resources as Nvidia. If people hadn't blindly purchased Nvidia cards for so many years, then perhaps this would have been a different story!

Permabanned
Why is this surprising? We know AMD are behind, they don't have the same resources as Nvidia. If people hadn't blindly purchased Nvidia cards for so many years, then perhaps this would have been a different story!

Hey i had a Barton 2500 M mobile chip for £50, With a Radeon 9800 Pro. AMD actually from memory lost the market when people were buying thier stuff. I would always get questioned why the P3 800 and after thati went AMD. People did support them but times change saying this is because people bought Nvidia is not correct though.

Associate

From what I have gathered, the GPU that people are now referring to as the "nvidia killer" is actually an RDNA2 GPU/GPUs with raytracing from the second gen Navi lineup that will supersede this year's Navi lineup. AMD back at the Navi launch confirmed that RDNA2 will be next year and will have ray tracing acceleration in hardware.

The Big Navi that AMD will launch in the near future is still RDNA1 and therefore is still part of first gen Navi.

Permabanned
Remember people recommending overpriced GTX 1060s when the RX 580 was arguably superior, and cheaper too? Prime example of the problem with modern consumers.

I was going to say the same - it doesn't come from the consumers, though, but from certain members' recommendations.
I always recommended Polaris but......

TrM

TrM

Associate
Remember people recommending overpriced GTX 1060s when the RX 580 was arguably superior, and cheaper too? Prime example of the problem with modern consumers.

The rx 580 vs 1060 was always a hard one to recommend though. Yes the amd rx was faster in right stuff but it was not across the board add in the fact of power draw and all the negatives the rx had over the 1060 and u can see why the 1060 was most people recommendation.

Not everything has to be about pure speed of the card driver power requirements heat game support etc all are factors to. Well they are from when I recommend a product anyhow and the 1060 was my recommendation due to other factors. But both cards was good for the price point though but at the time I would have always recommended a 1060 6gb over a rx 480/580/590 :)

Soldato
I was going to say the same - it doesn't come from the consumers, though, but from certain members' recommendations.
I always recommended Polaris but......
Yep the ocuk forum was the only reason nvidia got market share and Amd lost it, some would say nvidia made faster cards at the time, but ignore those idiots and fast forward a year when Amd fine wine kicked in and then say Amd where always cheaper and faster than nvidia cards :rolleyes:

Soldato
If i was AMD would not bother pour resources into something that does not make money and is a dead end, this is a fight of resources as much as its technical innovation. Let's be frank, look at most gpu sales they are low-mid tier gpu that is where most of the money is. AMD's survival right now is SONY Playstation and XBOX, really don't think 2080Ti killer would do much since that market segment is insignificant. The problem for AMD is market share and i am not sure I'f they will be in the GPU business in few years time, with their market share sliding further and intel to join gpu scene in full force over the next few years I actually see AMD selling their GPU division.

It all depends on how much AMD can fend off competition to its monopoly with XBOX and SONY, that will mainly come from Intel in the future depending on their success in the GPU market.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...pu-market-shifts-between-intel-amd-and-nvidia

Last edited:
Associate

For a large part of the generation you couldn't buy a Polaris card at all because the 'coin miners snaffled them all and pushed the prices up massively. If anything the 1060's relatively smaller appeal to the cryptocurrency crowd probably meant more of them ended up in the hands of gamers.

Permabanned
Hey i had a Barton 2500 M mobile chip for £50, With a Radeon 9800 Pro. AMD actually from memory lost the market when people were buying thier stuff. I would always get questioned why the P3 800 and after thati went AMD. People did support them but times change saying this is because people bought Nvidia is not correct though.

Nvidia seem to be able to get away with just about anything, Examples: The 980ti was meant to get A-sync compute support, At the time the biggest title using A-sync was the coming to PC ROTTR, It never got it's support, instead they decided to swoop down on ROTTR & remove A-sync Compute from the PC version of the game nerfing AMD performance in the deal, Another examples the founders edition premium simply because they could & after getting away with that they took a £700 1080ti and replaced it with a £1200 2080ti, Why? Because it just works & the average Nvidia consumer always looks the other way, What happened when everyone was up in arms about the memory issue on the GTX970? They kicked off about it yes, but those that wanted to get a refund got it & then added extra money to buy a GTX980 instead, Nvidia see that as a win, They pushed prices with Turing a bit far & it affected sales so the response was to use the support for adaptive sync card they've had sitting in their pocket for a couple of years, The effect alls forgiven & maybe the price ain't so bad no we also have adaptive sync support, Nvidia try to pull off some of the most anti-consumer tricks they can, Another example was their attempt to make ROG an Nvidia GPU only brand. They must have a room somewhere with a bunch of laywers sat around a table trying to find the most underhanded ways they can come up with to strengthen their position without crossing the line. I'm hoping RDNA will be the start of a comeback so I can watch Nvidia sweat.

Permabanned
Nvidia seem to be able to get away with just about anything, Examples: The 980ti was meant to get A-sync compute support, At the time the biggest title using A-sync was the coming to PC ROTTR, It never got it's support, instead they decided to swoop down on ROTTR & remove A-sync Compute from the PC version of the game nerfing AMD performance in the deal, Another examples the founders edition premium simply because they could & after getting away with that they took a £700 1080ti and replaced it with a £1200 2080ti, Why? Because it just works & the average Nvidia consumer always looks the other way, What happened when everyone was up in arms about the memory issue on the GTX970? They kicked off about it yes, but those that wanted to get a refund got it & then added extra money to buy a GTX980 instead, Nvidia see that as a win, They pushed prices with Turing a bit far & it affected sales so the response was to use the support for adaptive sync card they've had sitting in their pocket for a couple of years, The effect alls forgiven & maybe the price ain't so bad no we also have adaptive sync support, Nvidia try to pull off some of the most anti-consumer tricks they can, Another example was their attempt to make ROG an Nvidia GPU only brand. They must have a room somewhere with a bunch of laywers sat around a table trying to find the most underhanded ways they can come up with to strengthen their position without crossing the line. I'm hoping RDNA will be the start of a comeback so I can watch Nvidia sweat.

nvidia did those sabotage tricks with Crysis 2 and the insane tessellated worlds even in the unseen for the viewer areas of the game scene, and removing DX10.1 support from Assassin's Creed https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-to-be-removed-from-assassins-creed.17874014/

Wonder how many shaders Navi 23 will have? Is it the rumoured 4096-shader Navi or another one?

Back
Top Bottom