break fluid change how often?

Soldato
IIRC VW group are 3 years, then every 2 years
Which seems to reinforce the fluid is good for longer than 2 years. There was a US report floating around some point ago that showed that actually modern brake fluid absorbs 1-2% water fairly quickly and then stabilises, so in theory it doesnt get any more water content as it gets older.
To me the far more likely effect is the clean fluid being far better for seals in the ABS and calipers themselves prolonging life of those very expensive (relative to the cost of some brake fluid) components.

Same deal as all oil and lubricants. Get the good stuff as you’re paying £10s to protect £100s and £1000s.

Soldato
From my experience it's a full bleed... That master service doesn't sound very masterful if that's all they are doing! Do they only top up the engine/gearbox oil too in lieu of changing it? What about the headlamp fluid?

It's F1 Autocentre. https://www.f1autocentres.co.uk/car-servicing/whats-included

If you go down to number 28 there are things like 'check coolant level and top up if required'. Let's say you took it there for 5 years you'd have the same coolant and brake fluid.

Also, was going to get oil change there and maybe a proper service as it's been a while but decided to do the oil myself, what are you really paying for with a service there? Doesn't seem worth ~£200.

Soldato
I've never seen a service schedule that includes a brake fluid change, yes top up, but not change.

The difference between a standard/oil/regular/etc service and a full/master/etc service is often a check and top up of all other fluids, brake/power steering/coolant etc

Have you ever seen any service schedule then? Of course breathe fluid replacement is on there.

Have you ever seen any service schedule then? Of course breathe fluid replacement is on there.

I think your getting confused here in that we are not talking what the handbook says but whats included in service "packages" such as a full service interim service etc, ie what does the schedule list when you get to see whats been / should be completed etc
The term checklist would probably be better round here as too many post before they have a chance to think but anyone paying attention and reading all the posts should have been able to keep up ;)

Man of Honour
I think your getting confused here in that we are not talking what the handbook says but whats included in service "packages" such as a full service interim service etc, ie what does the schedule list when you get to see whats been / should be completed etc
The term checklist would probably be better round here as too many post before they have a chance to think but anyone paying attention and reading all the posts should have been able to keep up ;)

Mine has always been inspect on minor service (which includes topping up if necessary) and replace on major service (usually 2 year interval) and that is a proper replacement not just topping up.

I have always had someone do a full replacement on the service schedule when it comes to brakes I don't believe in messing about with that regardless as I don't fully understand the mechanical side of it and not going to take chances when it comes to braking.

Mine has always been inspect on minor service (which includes topping up if necessary) and replace on major service (usually 2 year interval) and that is a proper replacement not just topping up.

I have always had someone do a full replacement on the service schedule when it comes to brakes I don't believe in messing about with that regardless as I don't fully understand the mechanical side of it and not going to take chances when it comes to braking.

I agree in that its kind of wierd its never been part of the service as such, when you would assume a service is what needs to be done. Eg my old celica had ABC services A then B then A then C. B being the annual and C the alternate, C the most expensive still didn't have brakes included.

With modern servicing being more usage based it makes a little more sense. The mini one I am not sure how many actual "services" there are, but they were all sort of disconnected from each other.

To be honest its a minefield, Halfords DO include brake fluid in their major service, but I wonder how many people actually read and go to a full service (Halfords work like the old toyota one I had, effectively the same schedule) Major £250 vs Full £190 I bet I know which version most people using them would use ;)

Man of Honour
I agree in that its kind of wierd its never been part of the service as such, when you would assume a service is what needs to be done. Eg my old celica had ABC services A then B then A then C. B being the annual and C the alternate, C the most expensive still didn't have brakes included.

With modern servicing being more usage based it makes a little more sense. The mini one I am not sure how many actual "services" there are, but they were all sort of disconnected from each other.

To be honest its a minefield, Halfords DO include brake fluid in their major service, but I wonder how many people actually read and go to a full service (Halfords work like the old toyota one I had, effectively the same schedule) Major £250 vs Full £190 I bet I know which version most people using them would use ;)

I don't really have wide experience with it - my first car was such a heap I didn't bother with a proper servicing and those since haven't been "normal" vehicles (i.e. currently driving a V6 pickup) so may (and to some degree do) have a different policy when it comes to what is done at a service. You can't really take chances on brakes when throwing more than 2 tons of pickup around :s

Dont disagree mate
Unfortunately a hell of a lots of peoples views on cars are they just want it as cheap as possible, tyres... "whats cheapest mate?" that sort of thing

Not just individuals as well, My other halves company X1 (£35k motor) and they wont change the tyres until they are 1.6mm. She can do 3000miles some weeks, yet if she goes in to the garage and they read 1.7mm the company will refuse to change them. They do use decent tyres though thats one small credit, has to be ATS.
Wipers has to be halfords, same with bulbs. Main dealer will have anything to do with tyres, wipers or bulbs refused. Oh and company policy is to refuse wheel alignment no matter what, she had a knock in her old car (damaged whilst parked at airport) and after that it regularly blew a front headlight on drivers side and had mis wear on that tyre, no amount of protesting or logic would get them to have it checked. Loonies!

Soldato
Brake fluid is hygroscopic and will over time absorb water which will affect the braking performance and cause corrosion. In a perfect setup it would be completely sealed and not happen but it does in most cases. I have always gone with a fluid change and bleed through every 2 years for standard use more often if you heavy break lots or track use.

Associate
I haven't changed mine ever and had the Focus for 5 years. Previous owner probably didn't change either. Maybe I need to do it this week lol

Have changed power steering fluid though because car was making elephant noises every time I turned

Soldato
Having read a few articles about this since reading this thread I've actually changed my opinion on this.
Seems it is beneficial to change it routinely maybe not as often as every 2 years though.

Took me a while to actually five the right stuff for my car didn't seem all that common.
Dot 4 class 6.

Only ever done brakes the 2 person method. As I will be on my own in going to try the vacuum method using my oil extractor to pull the fluid through.

Soldato
I did it on my Volvo a few weeks ago. The difference was massive. I had changed the discs and pads a week or so before, hoping that would solve the issue (pitted and scored discs). But it was the fluid change that genuinely made the difference.

No idea when it was last done before. Probably 18 years ago when it rolled out the factory.

Man of Honour
Having read a few articles about this since reading this thread I've actually changed my opinion on this.
Seems it is beneficial to change it routinely maybe not as often as every 2 years though.

Took me a while to actually five the right stuff for my car didn't seem all that common.
Dot 4 class 6.

Only ever done brakes the 2 person method. As I will be on my own in going to try the vacuum method using my oil extractor to pull the fluid through.

You can get bleeding kit's with a non return valve in the line so you can do it by yourself. A vacuum pump is easier but the bleeding kits comes a close second.

Soldato
Cheap valve thing works well but you have to keep getting out to see if the bubbles have gone, is jar full, is res empty etc. Depends if you have some around that can follow basic instructions :rolleyes:

Soldato
Just remember guys. Your brake fluid condition is now subject to the MOT and a major fail.

Quite how they checked mine, (mine failed on it earlier this year) it's under an aftermarket opaque cover & they are still not allowed to remove covers.

Personally I feel it's just a licence for dodgy garages to print money.

Soldato
Every 3 years recommended on my car. Uses the same stuff as most other cars.

It's like how some cars recommend changing spark plugs every 2 years. OTT unless you use the cheapest plugs or have high mileage.

Soldato
Part of the service should be a mandatory unscrewing the bleed nipples - I asked for mine to be bled a few years ago - when I went to change the fluid this year I found one nipple was broken off and the other side was rock solid - It cost me £160 for two new front calipers - I don't think dealers changed the fluid on the front at least but the back nipples did come undone for me but they are bigger for some reason.
Every year now or if I have to take a wheel off I will just crack the nipple as a precaution. - It's an expensive job for a £2 nipple.

Soldato
You can get bleeding kit's with a non return valve in the line so you can do it by yourself. A vacuum pump is easier but the bleeding kits comes a close second.
I already have an oil extractor so going to use a bit of 4mm tube to attach it to the bleed nipple.
It's very thin fluid so should do the job with minimal vacuum.

Soldato
Brake fluid is hygroscopic and will over time absorb water which will affect the braking performance and cause corrosion. In a perfect setup it would be completely sealed and not happen but it does in most cases. I have always gone with a fluid change and bleed through every 2 years for standard use more often if you heavy break lots or track use.

Same here, the pedal feels harder too and braking feels more powerful after a fluid change.

Back
Top Bottom