*** The official Apple September Event Thread - Tuesday 10th September 2019 ***

Soldato
I would like more industrial look of iphone, like new ipad or iPhone 4. Never been a fan of smooth rounded shape. And I can't believe they don't have smaller components for face ID, after three years...they just want to milk, which will show poorly on their sales, my guess.
So for me still no reason to upgrade from X. Next year, even with only upgrade in features, it will be much bigger update ( hoping for high refresh rate screen, usb c, 5g, smaller front cameras, wifi 6).
If they made the new iPhone the same shape as the new iPad pro with the square edges and rounded corners I would buy one.

USB-C and expandable storage with an SD card.

Soldato
I find the S9 and S10 to still feel a little plasticky. A colleague who is a huge Samsung fan upgrades every year, and he always seems to need to restore his phone, and suffers lock-ups/BSODs quite regularly.

Conversely, the iPhone always feels a solid bit of kit, and the software is always stable for me - so much so, that we use them in our unit as work phones (and we work in cybersecurity).

I found most phones these days plasticky. IPhone 4 was amazing, complete metal and thick glass, had a real premium feel to it.

Then all phone manufacturers wanted to make them thinner and lighter :(

Soldato
If they made the new iPhone the same shape as the new iPad pro with the square edges and rounded corners I would buy one.

USB-C and expandable storage with an SD card.

USB-C I can see them doing in the near future, but the SD card I don't. Too much money in it for them. Personally love the look of my iPad Pro, but wouldn't want its edges on a phone. Would be a bit too sharp IMO.

@RedvGreen - My experience with Samsung phones - S8 and Note 9 - has been no trouble at all. Very, very rare for a crash to occur and certainly compare to an iPhone IMO. Build quality is top notch Although as you say, not for security ofc. but that's an Android issue.

Soldato
USB-C I can see them doing in the near future, but the SD card I don't. Too much money in it for them. Personally love the look of my iPad Pro, but wouldn't want its edges on a phone. Would be a bit too sharp IMO.

@RedvGreen - My experience with Samsung phones - S8 and Note 9 - has been no trouble at all. Very, very rare for a crash to occur and certainly compare to an iPhone IMO. Build quality is top notch Although as you say, not for security ofc. but that's an Android issue.
What about expandable storage and then they make it so you can only use their SD cards? Seems possible based on previous tricks Apple have pulled.

Caporegime
What about expandable storage and then they make it so you can only use their SD cards? Seems possible based on previous tricks Apple have pulled.

I cant see Apple ever caving on memory, it's a key part of their product tiers. Selling cheap memory for hundreds of pounds must make them silly money.

Soldato
I don’t think Apple care about their hardware too much these days. So long as it’s reasonably good looking and reasonably top end, Apple will be happy. It’s all about the services now. iCloud, Apple Arcade, Apple Music, Apple TV, etc. This is where the big bucks is. Phones, tablets and Macs are just external connections to the services.

Soldato
There is expandable storage it is called iCloud. I personally don’t use more than the free amount that you get but I have a cloud drive setup at home I connect to so I can store and access files from any computer. Cloud is the way everything will go for personal and business.

Soldato
There is expandable storage it is called iCloud. I personally don’t use more than the free amount that you get but I have a cloud drive setup at home I connect to so I can store and access files from any computer. Cloud is the way everything will go for personal and business.
I get your point but not much good of you are 36000 feet in the air or in a rubbish reception area ...

Associate
Pretty much.

iCloud is definitely not a substitute for physical storage.

Here’s hoping Apple do offer 128GB as base but it’s unlikely they’d rather up sell the 256GB.

Soldato
I’d be happy with 128gb as a base. I’ve had 256gb for the last two devices, and never used more than half the storage.

Exact same as you. I've had 256GB since the 7+ because 64GB just isn't enough. I haven't ever come close to filling my 256 but i would annihilate 64. 128GB is perfect, at last.

Soldato
Exact same as you. I've had 256GB since the 7+ because 64GB just isn't enough. I haven't ever come close to filling my 256 but i would annihilate 64. 128GB is perfect, at last.

Out of interest what do you use your phone for to need 128/256?

I only have the 64gb version of the iphone 8 and there's about 5gb spare on there and i've never had any warnings popup saying i'm running low on storage.

I'm looking at my storage and i'm at

Music ~25gb
Photos ~8gb
Podcasts ~4gb
WhatsApp/Messages ~3gb

Then below that, there's just lots of things user a few hundred mb

I'd assume i'm a fairly average user who probably has more music than most but less photos and no videos. So there's definitely a market for people who only want 64gb. Especially with the premiums Apple charge for increased amounts.

Soldato
Out of interest what do you use your phone for to need 128/256?

I only have the 64gb version of the iphone 8 and there's about 5gb spare on there and i've never had any warnings popup saying i'm running low on storage.

I'm looking at my storage and i'm at

Music ~25gb
Photos ~8gb
Podcasts ~4gb
WhatsApp/Messages ~3gb

Then below that, there's just lots of things user a few hundred mb

I'd assume i'm a fairly average user who probably has more music than most but less photos and no videos. So there's definitely a market for people who only want 64gb. Especially with the premiums Apple charge for increased amounts.

A quick glance of my phone says

Photos - 35GB
Whatsapp 9.5GB
Music 19GB

then quite a few apps floating around 1GB and less.

128Gb allows me to not worry about space. with 64GB I'd feel like I am constantly juggling what I can and can't have on there. When I have the space I don't need to worry about putting films or whatever on there when travelling.

Man of Honour
200 GB used on my X.

100 GB music
50 GB photos
9 GB Deezer
7.5 GB WhatApp
6 GB Podcasts

Etc etc. I could go through and sort some out, specifically the music I guess but I can't be bothered. :)

Back
Top Bottom