*** The official Apple September Event Thread - Tuesday 10th September 2019 ***

Soldato
YYlkaYr.jpeg

I think it's about time for a dedicated thread for Apple's now traditional September product launches.

What could we be getting?

Likely:
  • iPhone Refresh
  • Apple Watch Refresh
  • iOS 13 Release
  • iPad OS Release
  • macOS Catalina Release
Unlikely:
  • iPad Pro Refresh
  • 16" Macbook Pro with OLED screen
  • iMac Pro refresh
  • Mac Mini refresh
  • Mac Pro release
  • Apple TV refresh
  • New Homepod
  • AirPods '2'

Lets kick things off with the new iPhone's:

The rear of the mock up looks pretty ugly, I really don't like how the camera bump dominates the rear. The Apple logo looks wrong in that place, it needs to be much lower. However its looking like that's what the new design will be.

I'm still rocking a 6S and its getting frustratingly slow, I really could do with an update. Lets see what pricing will be like, especially if the £ is still low...

Soldato
OP
I thought the ECG works in the UK now?

It does

It does. If you had a watch from the US it started working in the UK when it updated to work in the US (before the UK was activated). It is likely this will occur again if there is another medical feature that needs approval here.

About time ECG was enabled, a great deal of amazing work was done by some very smart people on that feature.

It has been enabled in the EU since March 27th on all EU S4 watches.

https://www.apple.com/uk/newsroom/2...-available-today-across-europe-and-hong-kong/

Soldato
OP
They kissed paid and made up with Qualcom a few months ago but 5G was never on the cards for this round of iPhones.

5G isn't really a thing in Apples biggest markets (America and Europe) and won't be for at least a year. Aside from the fact there are limited masts right now, it will take years to get the same kind of coverage 4G currently has. You are unlikely to see the benefit of 5G as an individual unless you attach your phone to an outdoor antenna because it doesn't go through walls due to the high frequencies that are being utilised in the initial launch.

I go get that people will want the tech in their phones for when 5G is a thing but do you really want a Gen1 5G hardware in an Apple device? There currently isn't a combined 2/3/4G and 5G modem chips, 5G needs additional chips and antenna to work. 5G also needs more power to receive a signal from the network. Phones are either bigger or have less battery, I don't think Apple could get Gen1 5G in their current form factor without making major sacrifices.

The hype around 5G is huge but there are lots of reasons why 5G in 2019 will be nothing to get excited about:
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/dont-buy-5g-phone-yet-3764526
https://www.forbes.com/sites/annato...hand-set-and-why-its-not-worth-upgrading-yet/
https://www.androidauthority.com/dont-fall-5g-hype-896610/
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/5g-phones-uk

I'm not against 5G, its an amazing technology but there is absolutely nothing to get excited about in 2019 in the UK.

Soldato
OP
To be honest for those that have a X or XS there isn't really a compelling upgrade on the cards but that isn't that different to those with a Samsung or Pixel owners, they are all very incremental hardware wise. If you are on a 5/6/6S/7/8 its a very different conversation. It's all about the software these days at almost all levels.

I think we have pretty much reached peek phone in the 'west'.

Soldato
OP
Same thing has been said every year since smart phones came to market. Bar a few specific model years the bump over a single year is generally small but over 2 it can be quite big. That’s more like 3 these days, the original X isn’t likely to be that far off from the new phone.

Soldato
OP
While that is true, generally speaking it still wasn’t a compelling upgrade year on year because a one year old iPhone still had more than enough CPU power to handle anything you could throw at it at the time.

Soldato
OP
3rd year on a similar design? Not sure which phones you have been using.

Aside from shrinking bezels the form factor has been pretty much the same since the iPhone 6. Samsung has used the same form factor since they released the edge.

Not sure what you expect other than a thin rectangular slab with a screen on the front?

iPhone 6, 6S, 7 and 8 were almost indistinguishable and look completely identical in a case.

Soldato
OP
This is because the form factor design for a smartphone has evolved as far as possible with the current materials and technologies available.

I know, I highlighting the fact that phone design hasn't really moved in 6 years not 3.

I was specifically addressing the 'why no new design' type comments. Most people either:
  • can't describe what they should change or why
  • want a design facilitated by tech doesn't exist
  • want something that can't be manufactured by the 10's of million
You aren't going to see radical or risky designs from the likes of Apple or Samsung on their volume products. Even then Apple has also had it's fair share of gaffs after making design changes, Mac Pro, 'you're holding it wrong', bend gate and those keyboards to name a few. Unlike Samsung (Note 7, Fold) Apple has manged to get away with it so far.

Soldato
OP
I don’t really see how the design can change. What ever happens it is going to be a rectangle with round corners, rounded edges and as much screen as possible.

You might get a smaller notch or something but it’s hardly revolutionary or ground breaking stuff.

The only major design changes the iPhone has seen was:
iPhone (2g)
iPhone (3G)
iPhone 4
iPhone 6

Nothing has changed significantly year on year since the 6. The design language since then has been tweaked but it’s very much inline with that they delivered with that phone.

Soldato
OP
Wifi6 is the new WiFi standard, faster, better etc.

They have rebranded away from 802.11 as it makes no sense to normals (quite rightly so). Let’s hope USB sort themselves out after the shambles that is USB3.2 gen2x2....

802.11AC = WiFi 5 and so on as you go back through the letters.

Soldato
OP
Do we need a 2020 and 2021 iPhone rumour thread already? It’s getting silly when the speculation about the 2021 phone is starting before the 2019 is released....

Edit: PlayStation 6, 2025, 4x times faster than playstation 5 pro, 8k, hdr. You saw it here first people.

Soldato
OP
If you like Touch ID, they’ll be some great deals on iPhone 8 shortly.

Not bothered at all, Face ID is fine. I just didn’t upgrade to a X or XS because I didn’t need a new phone. My wife is on a 5S which is getting a bit long in the tooth so I will be passing this one down to her.

Back
Top Bottom