How many of you or those you know get mangled on a weekend?

Man of Honour
Never heard of Tinder?

The hookers remark was tongue in cheek, of course I’ve heard of Tinder, but even if I was suddenly transported back to my twenties or thirties, I’d no more go on line looking for a date, than I’d ride a pogo stick to work.
Things can’t have changed that much, men still like attractive women, and women like men who can make them smile.
I’d do what I did back then, if I saw a woman I liked, I’d hopefully win her over with my non invasive, easy going, hopefully humorous conversation.

Soldato
Hold on a second, Wetherspoons? I mean, don’t get me wrong, it certainly makes your entire presence on this forum more understandable but you can’t genuinely be using a Wetherspoons as a benchmark can you? A place where luxuries are cut, you know the kind of 5 star luxury as music? Their entire menu is basically Iceland’s finest? I don’t think you can even get a Peroni in a Wetherspoons can you?

Bloody hell, Wetherspoons is a dive, they always stink of old people, kidney failure and stale booze. The most exciting sound in a Wetherspoons is a 30 year old fruity which is clinging on to life harder than Susan Boyle’s musical career.

Yuck.

To be honest, Wetherspoons are a great pub for ale drinkers. They rotate their casks regularly, offering new and interesting beers at great prices. Plus, their standard draft stuff is pretty good and very well priced. Pretty sure you can get a Peroni but if that’s your benchmark of a top beer your tastes need educating.
Plus, the buildings are often interesting and plenty staff.

Sure, there are problems - whilst they do have lots of new beers at good prices, they do hold the brewers over the (no pun intended) barrel!
The clientele is mixed, but I quite like that. Sure there can be some roughones but living in Glasgow, I’m not scared of people not like me!
And yes, they don’t play music. I take that as a blessing! As does my mum who wears hearing aids and has real trouble hearing in lots of bars!

Sure, I wouldn’t pick Wetherspoons as my first choice but thinking about it they don’t do bad for a large chain! I’d rather drink there than an O Neils, or a tied group serving the same beers they always serve.

But you know, keep up your weird Psycho Sonny bashing if you like.

Man of Honour
To be honest, Wetherspoons are a great pub for ale drinkers. They rotate their casks regularly, offering new and interesting beers at great prices. Plus, their standard draft stuff is pretty good and very well priced. Pretty sure you can get a Peroni but if that’s your benchmark of a top beer your tastes need educating.
Plus, the buildings are often interesting and plenty staff.

Sure, there are problems - whilst they do have lots of new beers at good prices, they do hold the brewers over the (no pun intended) barrel!
The clientele is mixed, but I quite like that. Sure there can be some roughones but living in Glasgow, I’m not scared of people not like me!
And yes, they don’t play music. I take that as a blessing! As does my mum who wears hearing aids and has real trouble hearing in lots of bars!

Sure, I wouldn’t pick Wetherspoons as my first choice but thinking about it they don’t do bad for a large chain! I’d rather drink there than an O Neils, or a tied group serving the same beers they always serve.

I have to say the nearest Wetherspoons to me more closely resembles Diddum's version than yours - at night scenes like this aren't uncommon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF2R8mIWWZE and during the day much of the clientele are of particularly low class - rude, belligerent and seemingly unemployed. Place it self has sticky floors, broken equipment and I've not seen much in the way of drinks rotation over the years - though I'm not an ale person.

Not somewhere I'd go by choice but unfortunately popular for meeting up before heading elsewhere on work dos, etc.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Pretty sure you can get a Peroni but if that’s your benchmark of a top beer your tastes need educating.

It's a stupid thing I have, as an extremely judgmental person I tend to look for flags and judge people / places by these flags. I've never claimed to be a reasonable person so take that with a massive bucket of salt. I do love a Peroni however.

Not sure what you're getting at here but I live and work in London and have done for almost 13 years, so like you, I'm not scared of people not like me.

Fair enough, if a musicless pub means being able to enjoy a pint with your mum then fair play to you, but I like my pubs to have a bit more atmosphere.

Funny that, most O'Neills around here have gone bust.

Stick any name on it, I'll point out that their opinion isn't fact.

ALSO: I just realised I can highlight parts of a post and add it to multi-quote, so you became my first victim, sorry :p

Soldato
i disagree, late 90s early 00s there was 1000s of people out drinking EVERY NIGHT at my local town centre, now its a ghost town, except on the odd friday. I guess it all depends on the demographics of your area though.

Same in my local town. I used to leave work and be driving through town between midnight and 2am, constantly people wandering in front of the car, streets swamped with people.

Now, regardless of the time it's pretty dead, less than 50 people around town.

That's in the last 10 years.

Half the pubs have closed, some smaller ones have opened and 1 local microbrewery (Joules) is doing very well.

Soldato
I don't but I never did before either.

The odd times I am out late then Nottingham seems reasonably busy but the young people I work with don't seem to go out much and even with a work do with a free bar most were back home by 10pm

Associate
Same in my local town. I used to leave work and be driving through town between midnight and 2am, constantly people wandering in front of the car, streets swamped with people.

Now, regardless of the time it's pretty dead, less than 50 people around town.

That's in the last 10 years.

Half the pubs have closed, some smaller ones have opened and 1 local microbrewery (Joules) is doing very well.

That sounds suspiciously like Drayton?

Soldato
The hookers remark was tongue in cheek, of course I’ve heard of Tinder, but even if I was suddenly transported back to my twenties or thirties, I’d no more go on line looking for a date, than I’d ride a pogo stick to work.
Things can’t have changed that much, men still like attractive women, and women like men who can make them smile.
I’d do what I did back then, if I saw a woman I liked, I’d hopefully win her over with my non invasive, easy going, hopefully humorous conversation.

Yeah, things have changed a lot because of internet dating. The overweight, unattractive women now gets attention from desperate sexually deprived men. When I was out partying every weekend before the internet became popular those types of women would get ignored in the bars and clubs.

Man of Honour
Yeah, things have changed a lot because of internet dating. The overweight, unattractive women now gets attention from desperate sexually deprived men. When I was out partying every weekend before the internet became popular those types of women would get ignored in the bars and clubs.

Mmm, I might still be okay if transported back to my younger days, overweight, unattractive women were never my bag, and while I may not have given Brad Pitt sleepless nights, I was never sexually deprived, and far from desperate.
I may have to adjust my casual opening gambits, if women find them unusual because they’d become accustomed to checking guys out on line though.

That sounds suspiciously like Drayton?

Now I’m confused, as a dedicated Londoner, the first Drayton that came to mind, was Drayton Park, a road in Highbury, near the Emirates Stadium, but I knew that couldn’t qualify, so remembering my trucking days, I thought of Market Drayton, not a million miles from Stafford, is that it?

Soldato
Not sure what you're getting at here but I live and work in London and have done for almost 13 years, so like you, I'm not scared of people not like me.

I get the impression that a lot of people don't like Wetherspoons because it attracts quite a working class clientele, or just flat out full of junkies. I don't really mind that, they blend into the background. 'Twas all I meant.

Fair enough, if a musicless pub means being able to enjoy a pint with your mum then fair play to you, but I like my pubs to have a bit more atmosphere.

You don't need music to have an atmospheric pub, indeed most of the best pubs in Glasgow (in my opinion) (Pot Still, Brewdogs, Blackfriars, Ben Nevis, Bon Accord, Drygate) don't have any music. The vast majority of pubs that have live music have it at such a ridiculous volume that it detracts from the atmosphere. The 'music' pubs are generally full of students and other 'yoofs' necking £1.50 vodka and cokes out of plastic cups. Hardly my definition of atmospheric. Give me some good London pubs that play music though, as I do go down there quite often and always keen to find new places. I normally stay at Brick Lane, Brixton or Peckham however.

I suppose I'd rather go to the pub to have a blether with my friends rather than not chat listening to music.

Funny that, most O'Neills around here have gone bust.

Not a bad thing at all!

Associate
Now I’m confused, as a dedicated Londoner, the first Drayton that came to mind, was Drayton Park, a road in Highbury, near the Emirates Stadium, but I knew that couldn’t qualify, so remembering my trucking days, I thought of Market Drayton, not a million miles from Stafford, is that it?

Correct, most of the locals drop the "Market" bit and are known as Draytoners / Draytonians.

Soldato
Now I'm in my late 30s, I prefer to have a whisky or glass of red at home, or the occasional house party with friends or neighbors; anything out out will be a meal with a few drinks.

Did the whole pubbing and clubbing in my teens and twenties - don't think I could stomach going out on the lash these days, the prices and potential aggro would put me off :D

Soldato
#MANGELED

iu

Associate
Now I'm in my late 30s, I prefer to have a whisky or glass of red at home, or the occasional house party with friends or neighbors; anything out out will be a meal with a few drinks.

Did the whole pubbing and clubbing in my teens and twenties - don't think I could stomach going out on the lash these days, the prices and potential aggro would put me off :D

I hear that as pretty much like us. And the fact I hate waiting for the missus to get ready and when she is ready, she’s still not ready :rolleyes:

Caporegime
I get the impression that a lot of people don't like Wetherspoons because it attracts quite a working class clientele, or just flat out full of junkies. I don't really mind that, they blend into the background. 'Twas all I meant.

You don't need music to have an atmospheric pub, indeed most of the best pubs in Glasgow (in my opinion) (Pot Still, Brewdogs, Blackfriars, Ben Nevis, Bon Accord, Drygate) don't have any music. The vast majority of pubs that have live music have it at such a ridiculous volume that it detracts from the atmosphere. The 'music' pubs are generally full of students and other 'yoofs' necking £1.50 vodka and cokes out of plastic cups. Hardly my definition of atmospheric. Give me some good London pubs that play music though, as I do go down there quite often and always keen to find new places. I normally stay at Brick Lane, Brixton or Peckham however.

I suppose I'd rather go to the pub to have a blether with my friends rather than not chat listening to music.

Not a bad thing at all!

howling wolf is good on bath street. it's about the only pub that plays music that is in glasgow. vodka wodka not bad in west end but the bar is understaffed and 4 people deep usually.

bon accord is a great musicless pub. i'll need to try the others.

Soldato

What did these men/woman do before the internetz then?

Back
Top Bottom