name change on a holiday i had booked

Permabanned
booked a holiday to greece for a week with return flights to crete for £75 return, yes i got a good deal a few months ago.
now needed a name change and the difference in fare and admin is £456 from when i booked until now the new booking :eek:

geez how do they get away with that.

Caporegime
Had the same thing in the past. Someone booked a ticket on my behalf but my name is pretty difficult to spell and cocked it up. Cost more to amend than the ticket would have been except the person that booked it also added another typo.

Man of Honour
Veering o/t a bit, the first time that I went to the U.S., with my then girlfriend, the travel agent said that some hoteliers were a tad straight laced in the U.S., and if they queried the different surnames in our passports, to say that we’d just got married, and were on honeymoon.
This was New York City in 1976, I still don’t know if he was at the wind-up.

Caporegime
Veering o/t a bit, the first time that I went to the U.S., with my then girlfriend, the travel agent said that some hoteliers were a tad straight laced in the U.S., and if they queried the different surnames in our passports, to say that we’d just got married, and were on honeymoon.
This was New York City in 1976, I still don’t know if he was at the wind-up.

How would that be different?

When you book your honeymoon, which I would think it would be 6 months in advance, would you book your missus under your surname?

Surely you would book it with Maiden name and after your wedding, when you go off to your honeymoon, it would still be the maiden name as you wouldn't have had time to change your passport anyway.

Man of Honour

When you book your honeymoon, which I would think it would be 6 months in advance, would you book your missus under your surname?

Surely you would book it with Maiden name and after your wedding, when you go off to your honeymoon, it would still be the maiden name as you wouldn't have had time to change your passport anyway.

I think that what you’re saying Raymond, is that virtually every woman going abroad on honeymoon still has her maiden name in her passport, no matter when the honeymoon was booked, if so, I agree 1000%.
That’s why I found my travel agent’s advice weird.
As for my own “honeymoon”, we were in Spring Hill FL, in May 1994, I went to the County Clerk’s office in Hernando County Court House in Brooksville FL to find out what paperwork was needed to get married there.
She said that initially I’d have to buy a marriage licence, that expired in 60 days, but we would have to be “resident” there for 7 days to qualify for the licence.
We were back in Brooksville FL the following October, did the necessary, and got married then, so I didn’t “book” a honeymoon, it was all part of the holiday.
Strange thing is, there’s a Confederate soldier Civil War memorial in our wedding photo, but it’s been removed now, as attitudes have changed.

Soldato

I think the point being that a 'straight laced hotelier' wouldn't let unmarried couples share a room / bed, so if questioned, tell them you're married but the names are different because you're on honeymoon.

Man of Honour
I think the point being that a 'straight laced hotelier' wouldn't let unmarried couples share a room / bed, so if questioned, tell them you're married but the names are different because you're on honeymoon.

I find it very hard to believe than any hotelier would turn business away due to the couple having different names, especially in NYC in 1976, let alone anywhere else in 2019.
Geez, around 42nd St. and Times Square, you could rent a “hot sheet” place by the hour.

Soldato
Deed poll name change is about £35. Then you'll need a passport in your new name. Then £35 to change it back afterwards.

Wasn't this is the news not too long ago! Some guy found it significantly cheaper to change name via deed poll to match flight ticket, than to pay the airlines admin charge.

Frankly it's a practice that needs stamping out, i'm sure no-one would disagree that an airline has the right to charge an admin for change of names. But it shouldn't take anymore than 5 minutes to update some records on a computer system, so even if you paid a full hour of some admin staffs time @£15, that would be more than acceptable for everyone. How they can justify charging three figure sums just to amend a name change is beyond a joke.

Caporegime
Wasn't this is the news not too long ago! Some guy found it significantly cheaper to change name via deed poll to match flight ticket, than to pay the airlines admin charge.

Frankly it's a practice that needs stamping out, i'm sure no-one would disagree that an airline has the right to charge an admin for change of names. But it shouldn't take anymore than 5 minutes to update some records on a computer system, so even if you paid a full hour of some admin staffs time @£15, that would be more than acceptable for everyone. How they can justify charging three figure sums just to amend a name change is beyond a joke.

I think the argument goes is that they have to cancel his ticket and then buy a new one. All fine if you can still buy that flight for £75, the issue is ticket prices for a lot of airlines tend to increase with time as seats sell.

Plus the airline know they have him over a barrel. If he needs a name change to a complete new girlfriend then clearly that original person isnt going to be using their seat and hence they can just keep the £75.

If the OP doesn't pay the £456 then they are going to have two empty seats that they still got paid for.

I suspect that if it was a simple name change due to a misspelling at the time then a standard £15 or so admin fee would just apply.

Thomas cook charges £20 for a name change, Ryanair charges £320 and some airlines, British Airways, bmi and Virgin Atlantic will not, under any circumstances, let customers change the name on a ticket.

Last edited:
Soldato
I find it very hard to believe than any hotelier would turn business away due to the couple having different names, especially in NYC in 1976, let alone anywhere else in 2019.
Geez, around 42nd St. and Times Square, you could rent a “hot sheet” place by the hour.
If the travel agent was just talking about the US in general terms though, I can well believe some in the bible belt would take exception :p

Back
Top Bottom